Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2018, 11:48 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
So all this commotion is for the “small children?”

Staaaahp it. You’re being ridiculous. There has to be land reform in SA. That’s all there is to it. A tiny minority can’t own all the arable land. That’s not a sustainable model.

A tiny non indigenous group should own nearly all the arable land in a nation without anyone complaining about it?

You know damn well that that’s not realistic. What European nation would allow a non indigenous ethnic minority to own all the land in their nation? The Europeans nearly eradicated European Jewry for nothing more than being disproportionately successful, so imagine what they would’ve done if the Jews had actually owned the majority of the land.

And as Americans, we should hardly be pointing fingers. We’re the world champion land dispossessors and we killed tens of thousands while doing it.
And it would have been wrong. I think they did enough to the Jews.

The farmers in SA have been farming that land for generations with skill and they feed the population, they are assets. I'm not sure what they are doing to harm anyone other than existing and working their farms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2018, 11:51 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I'm not defending either government, and any and all racially motivated attacks are horrible. What I'm pointing out is your hyperbolic statements and inaccuracies that are meant to drive a specific narrative.

I know all the rates and the numbers, but at the same time, I'm not the one claiming hundreds of thousands of murders. If you want to make the statement, back up your work. Don't deflect and try and make this about me.
You definitely defended the South African government and their stance on this, not questioning them at all. Why? It makes no sense. The SA leadership is as corrupt as it gets and naturally target the vulnerable minority in order to preserve their own power and status. The whites serve a useful purpose for the leaders.

You clearly dont understand the concept of ratios though. If America had the same rate of similar murders as South Africa, we would be talking about hundreds of thousands of such murders. The number of white farmers in South Africa is a mere 40 000. To NOT adjust for population sizes is stupid.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:52 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
So the right is obsessed because Trump tweeted out false propaganda?

He did this as a dog whistle to the base and to deflect from his legal problems. BS as usual.

Who needs Alex Jones when we have Trump?

"...A recent study showed that, in fact, killings of farmers in South Africa are at their lowest level in 20 years..."

...“After a peak in 2001/2002, the number of farm attacks—rape, robbery and other forms of violent crime short of murder—has decreased to about half,” Chutel wrote. “Similarly, the number of murders on farms peaked in 1997/1998 at 153, but today that number is below 50.”

...Moreover, Joe Walsh at the New Statesman found that murder rates in South Africa’s affluent, predominantly white suburbs are far lower than murder rates in the poor, predominantly black townships. “If there was any kind of genocide being carried out against white people in the country then the safest areas of the continent’s most dangerous city would not be predominately white,” Walsh wrote in May...."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...rmers-violence

Trump's Tweet About South Africa Doesn't Fit With the Facts | Time

Old 08-24-2018, 11:55 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
So... you wanted to discuss this, but thought it would be cooler to frame it as something "the right" wants to discuss?
It's called "Trolling for eyeballs" and intellectually dishonest...

Old 08-24-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So the right is obsessed because Trump tweeted out false propaganda?

He did this as a dog whistle to the base and to deflect from his legal problems. BS as usual.

Who needs Alex Jones when we have Trump?

"...A recent study showed that, in fact, killings of farmers in South Africa are at their lowest level in 20 years..."

...“After a peak in 2001/2002, the number of farm attacks—rape, robbery and other forms of violent crime short of murder—has decreased to about half,” Chutel wrote. “Similarly, the number of murders on farms peaked in 1997/1998 at 153, but today that number is below 50.”

...Moreover, Joe Walsh at the New Statesman found that murder rates in South Africa’s affluent, predominantly white suburbs are far lower than murder rates in the poor, predominantly black townships. “If there was any kind of genocide being carried out against white people in the country then the safest areas of the continent’s most dangerous city would not be predominately white,” Walsh wrote in May...."

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...rmers-violence

Trump's Tweet About South Africa Doesn't Fit With the Facts | Time
That's just stupid. Racist attacks involving horrific torture including against the children of parents serve the purpose of striking fear into a wider community. To conflate that with murders involving drug gangs and just lump it all together is very disingenuous.

Last edited by PCALMike; 08-24-2018 at 12:07 PM..

Old 08-24-2018, 11:57 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You definitely defended the South African government and their stance on this, not questioning them at all. Why? It makes no sense. The SA leadership is as corrupt as it gets and naturally target the vulnerable minority in order to preserve their own power and status. The whites serve a useful purpose for the leaders.

You clearly dont understand the concept of ratios though. If America had the same rate of similar murders as South Africa, we would be talking about hundreds of thousands of such murders. The number of white farmers in South Africa is a mere 40 000. To NOT adjust for population sizes is stupid.
Ok, so what are they? Where does ZA rank globally? Are they bad, the worst, or somewhere in the middle. I don't only know the concept, I have the numbers, but I'm not the one claiming stupid ****. If you want to make extreme statements, show your work.

I think the appropriation without compensation of farmland is a tragically stupid idea, and you don't have to look further than Zimbabwe to see that. The willing buyer/willing seller model is much better, and if the ZA Govt. wants to kick start some by buying some farms at fair prices, I endorse that too.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Ok, so what are they? Where does ZA rank globally? Are they bad, the worst, or somewhere in the middle. I don't only know the concept, I have the numbers, but I'm not the one claiming stupid ****. If you want to make extreme statements, show your work.

I think the appropriation without compensation of farmland is a tragically stupid idea, and you don't have to look further than Zimbabwe to see that. The willing buyer/willing seller model is much better, and if the ZA Govt. wants to kick start some by buying some farms at fair prices, I endorse that too.
What are what? Where does SA rank globally in terms of what?

South Africa has been implementing policies that give back land to formerly dispossessed families for several decades. But many families can choose between getting money compensation or some land somewhere and they would often choose money instead. Being a farmer is very tough and unrewarding work. Its not the dream of most young people in South Africa to be a farmer. This isnt the 1800s anymore.

The South African government and the ANC have been ruling for several decades. The economic progress under their reign is truly awful and it has enriched a tiny rich black elite who certainly dont want to see progress and change which threaten their power and status. Corruption is increasing, the economy has been stagnating, deficits are ballooning while many other African countries are booming. The leadership needs a scapegoat to divert attention and white farmers is a very useful one.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:06 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
Quote:
What are what? Where does SA rank globally in terms of what?

South Africa has been implementing policies that give back land to formerly dispossessed families for several decades. But many families can choose between getting money compensation or some land somewhere and they would often choose money instead. Being a farmer is very tough and unrewarding work. Its not the dream of most young people in South Africa to be a farmer. This isnt the 1800s anymore.

The South African government and the ANC have been ruling for several decades. The economic progress under their reign is truly awful and it has enriched a tiny rich black elite who certainly dont want to see progress and change which threaten their power and status. Corruption is increasing, the economy has been stagnating, deficits are ballooning while many other African countries are booming. The leadership needs a scapegoat to divert attention and white farmers is a very useful one.
Agreed.

See, that's a whole lot easier than making up numbers about hundreds of thousands of people being killed.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Agreed.

See, that's a whole lot easier than making up numbers about hundreds of thousands of people being killed.
When you dont understand the concept of murder rates, adjusted for the population, there is no hope explaining this further. If you lived in an area where your ethnic group was targeted specifically for horrific torture murders, I bet you would sing another tune. Its like people would defend native Americans today doing the same to various ethnic groups in America. It makes no sense. Its just wickedness and cruelty.

Old 08-24-2018, 12:20 PM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
That's just stupid. Racist attacks involving horrific torture including against the children of parents serve the purpose of striking fear into a wider community. To conflating that with murders involving drug gangs and just lump it all together is very disingenuous.
Even the whole concept of "farm murders" is just bizarre yet it has been a thing for some time in SA. These are people living in quiet isolated areas, who are specifically targeted.

It would be like violent gangs from Chicago systematically travelling to rural Illinois or Wisconsin to rob, torture and kill families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies