Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 08:12 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,339,713 times

Advertisements

Don't worry, they're from the government and they're here to help...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 04:18 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I remember when I lived in KC, The cops broke into a house in the middle of the night (wrong house). Did not announce themselves, no warrant, when they kicked in the bedroom door, still no announcement, the homeowner reached for his gun and they killed him. Nothing was done to the cops.

If someone kicks in my door without announcing they are cops, I will shoot.
Legal to do.

https://newsmaven.io/pinacnews/court...Ui9Q0___1p4XA/

These no knock raids need to end outside of possibly very extreme cases. So what if they flush $50k worth of drugs. Knock again next week. With today's technology, evidence can be gathered. Build a real case.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:25 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
It isn't just St Louis either. I don't want to start another thread but this shows the problem.

Man says he was profiled, assaulted by officers outside his Indianapolis apartment complex

https://www.theindychannel.com/news/...rtment-complex

Here is the major problem.

RTV6 reached out to Reynolds, who said he couldn’t comment on an ongoing investigation. Call 6 Investigates was able to confirm that Reynolds was terminated from the Marion County Sheriff’s Office in 2013.

So first problem. He is NOT a Police officer in the role he was playing. He is a security guard. You are not required to provide squat to a security guard. Then we have the obvious problem of him having been fired from a real police job. We see this far too often. I might argue that the POLICE emblazoned across his chest should get him arrested for impersonating an officer but if his status of a "Reserve Officer" allows that, it shouldn't as a security guard and the guy should also sue the city that would hire him as a "Reserve Officer".

Old 08-27-2018, 09:26 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Legal to do.

https://newsmaven.io/pinacnews/court...Ui9Q0___1p4XA/

These no knock raids need to end outside of possibly very extreme cases. So what if they flush $50k worth of drugs. Knock again next week. With today's technology, evidence can be gathered. Build a real case.
What, and not use all of that cool gear?

Old 08-27-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
If someone kicks in my door without announcing they are cops, I will shoot.
And you will likely die, the police will destroy your home in front of your family, better not have a dog. And, apparently, in St. Louis a building inspector will be called to cite you for the damage the police did to your house.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:30 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
What I don't understand is why the city would not automatically apologize and pay for all damages when they send the police into the wrong house and do significant damage. How could the city possibly think the owners are supposed to foot the bill for all the damage?

Old 08-27-2018, 09:41 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
What I don't understand is why the city would not automatically apologize and pay for all damages when they send the police into the wrong house and do significant damage. How could the city possibly think the owners are supposed to foot the bill for all the damage?
In Joplin Missouri last year, the cops could get no one to answer the door or the bullhorn. They took a backhoe like piece of equipment and went through an outside wall. No one was home. It was an empty rental house. So far the city says they are not obligated to fix it. The suspect had not lived there for a long time.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
It works. Little people don't fight City Hall. In fact it worked well until they found someone who'd fight back, and even so they could stall him for 3 years and get away with a modest 155K finding. His lawyer fees would have been more, but I suspect someone took it on pro bono.

Court fees and fines are a major source of income for St. Louis County, so reining in the police is like throttling your own income stream. Who does that? Even those 155K comes out of the city's coffers and that means increasing taxes for those who live in neighborhoods where the cops do knock.

Old 08-27-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Seems like it is very rare to hear about unprofessional police there in St. Louis...
Quite the opposite.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:12 PM

1,310 posts, read 1,511,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maccabee 2A View Post
While it's unfortunate that they raided the wrong house. They are right. You do not need a warrant in hot pursuit of a fugitive and the constitution allows it.
If there never was any such person (and there wasn't) how could the be in hot pursuit? Hot pursuit of whom? The policeman at the door originally told me that another policeman saw the person enter the house. Instead, I believe that they received a tip from an informant. I guess the person that they were looking for would be better classified as a suspect than a fugitive. Since my back yard was full of police, I asked if I could talk to the officer who witnessed the entry... but (since nobody came in) they couldn't produce the officer. None the less, since my yard was full of cops, I had to let them search.

When I came out I was on my very best behavior, in fact I had my hands up. I had/have no interest in becoming a statistic. Being white only helps so much when you are in the hood. The police believe (with some justification) that most most white people they are going to run into where I live are junkies and criminals since I live near three Methadone Clinics and a huge parole office. I was just up on a ladder repairing a ceiling. My father gave me a hard time afterward for not being better dressed and groomed for my visit from the police. But do you have any idea how dirty you get when you repair a plaster ceiling? I don't think anybody prepares for a police raid 24/7, especially if they aren't involved in criminal activity. Criminals might have the advantage of being caught less off guard. Anyway, if I had know the police were going to raid the house, I would have baked a cake.

They detained me for a couple of hours in the back yard with an officer standing guard. When I asked if they were going to arrest me since they didn't find anybody else in the house, they eventually pulled out of the house and made me go back in side. Then they made me stay in the house for another two hours until they appeared to be gone. They never let me know that I was free to go but they told me that I couldn't leave as long as they were there. Since they told me that the person that they were looking for had shot somebody, I would have been in deep S#!t if they had arrested me. I would have caused me to be fired from my job and I probably would have had to leave town to find work in the future. Honestly, I don't know how I could ever escape the stigma of being arrested for a serious charge like that since so many people (especially other white people) would always believe I did it and only got off because I am white. I'm really glad they didn't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies