Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 09:09 PM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It’s the result of people’s aversion to dirty work and the belief we can all have a clean and secure office job. In other words, a complete lack of understanding about how the economy functions properly
No I'm afraid it is you who don't understand how an economy functions properly. You see, people go to college to learn a skill like computer programming or health administration or nursing or accounting because they know that's where the jobs are, and most important, that's what they typically want to do. They are less into doing "dirty work" because there aren't as many "dirty work" jobs nowadays as there used to be. It's called demand and supply. Whatever the jobs in demand are, students are mostly supplying themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 09:18 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
No I'm afraid it is you who don't understand how an economy functions properly. You see, people go to college to learn a skill like computer programming or health administration or nursing or accounting because they know that's where the jobs are, and most important, that's what they typically want to do. They are less into doing "dirty work" because there aren't as many "dirty work" jobs nowadays as there used to be. It's called demand and supply. Whatever the jobs in demand are, students are mostly supplying themselves.
No squat. I went to school for business admin and commercial finance.

I work in, duh, commercial finance. I’ve been in the industry over 30 years.

Seems like some don’t really grasp the whole ‘Career Field’ thaing.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:25 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,254 times
Oh, I'm nuts, am I?

Project Unicorn: https://littlesis.org/org/281284-Project_Unicorn

Career Pathways and the Social Impact Bond scheme: https://littlesis.org/maps/3320-planned-economy

Connecting Credentials: https://littlesis.org/maps/3306-connecting-credentials

Blockchain Credentials: https://littlesis.org/maps/3203-blockchain-credentials

Common Core: https://littlesis.org/org/279030-Com...tate_Standards

Strengthening Career and Technical Education for the 21st Century Act: https://littlesis.org/org/325940-Str...st_Century_Act

IMS Global Learning Consortium: https://littlesis.org/org/165289-IMS...ing_Consortium

Digital Promise: https://littlesis.org/org/213472-Digital_Promise

The Marc Tucker "Dear Hillary" letter: https://thecrucialvoice.com/wp-conte...ary_letter.pdf

Old 08-23-2018, 09:37 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Education has always, until very recently, been a means of acquiring the basic knowledge and skills to be a contributing member of society. Higher education has been focused on providing that more advanced knowledge and skills for more complicated, advanced jobs in a technologically sophisticated society. In short-college in particular has always been about "workforce development". We don't expect surgeons to gain their qualifications by no more than reading a comic book. Nor do we expect the engineers designing the airplanes and cars we trust our lives to do so.

It is only in recent years that a university degree is looked as not as a place to gain useful productive, employable skills, but a place for entertainment, relaxation and 4 years of fun. Today's students seem to think that Animal House is the norm, not a movie. Well, I guess that's not really true-today's students have it a lot nicer than they did in the movie, in terms of dorm rooms, food and other services.

Old 08-23-2018, 09:39 PM

19,750 posts, read 22,654,259 times
Yeah ain’t clicking on that crap, thanks though.

Seeing as though;

A) I know the definition and application of workforce training; and
B) I know what post secondary education is; and
C) my chosen career is directly related to B) noted above.

I find no relevance and/or value to any purported links you prescribed.

Look up workforce development programs in your state, then maybe you’ll be educated on the specific topic.

Old 08-24-2018, 06:00 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,588,356 times
You are angry colleges push job skill coursework over non job skill coursework?

Old 08-24-2018, 07:15 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Education should teach a (young) person to think and want to gain more knowledge, but also to help guide that person towards being a functioning and productive adult human being.

College is too expensive to allow producing clueless liberal arts majors.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:22 AM

20,864 posts, read 9,529,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It is only in recent years that a university degree is looked as not as a place to gain useful productive, employable skills, but a place for entertainment, relaxation and 4 years of fun.
I don't think that's really true. Back prior to WWII, a university education was primarily a thing for upper class and upper-middle class people whose primary purpose was to use university as a sort-of "finishing school." That's not that different from your notion as university as 4 years of R&R.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:07 PM

46,949 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Education has always, until very recently, been a means of acquiring the basic knowledge and skills to be a contributing member of society. Higher education has been focused on providing that more advanced knowledge and skills for more complicated, advanced jobs in a technologically sophisticated society. In short-college in particular has always been about "workforce development".
What you describe is training, not education.

Back when education was an elite thing, it was a much about keeping the torch of civilization lit as it was about rushing out to be a nice little cog in the machinery. They didn't teach Ancient Greek or for that matter Latin at Oxford because it made the students better in their careers. An Oxford degree increased their chances of having a career, sure - but as C. Northcote Parkinson pointed out, very few companies failed because they were managed by people who were really bad at Ancient Greek. The old-school universities would - still do - scoff at the idea of being an assembly line for useful contributors. Or, if they were going to admit to being in the supply line, they'd certainly argue that they weren't primarily imparting job-related knowledge and skills.

I'm old enough to remember when my country's universities wouldn't give you a Master's in anything without at least passing a Philosophy class. Why? Because with a degree, there was a fair chance that you'd be an influential member of society, and those should have at least some civilization taught them.

Old 08-24-2018, 05:55 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
It is only in recent years that a university degree is looked as not as a place to gain useful productive, employable skills, but a place for entertainment, relaxation and 4 years of fun. Today's students seem to think that Animal House is the norm, not a movie. Well, I guess that's not really true-today's students have it a lot nicer than they did in the movie, in terms of dorm rooms, food and other services.
When I was going to college in the late 1970's, spring break was no big deal. I stayed at school, did some homework and just enjoyed a quiet week on my own. I was shocked that decades later, spring break was about going to Cancun or FL and drinking on the beach with other college students. I could never have asked my parents for travel and hotel money for a week of such hedonism... and it's not something that I would use my summer earnings on either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies