Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2018, 06:19 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,075,134 times

Advertisements

Considering all the public out pouring's for every other public figure who passes or for that matter who is dating whomever I believe his service to the country both in the military and as an elected representative for his state deserve a reflection. Like him or not I respect that he would vote his conscience and not follow the party line blindly just as he chose to stop the treatment for himself I'm sure against his doctors objections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2018, 06:25 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,359,448 times
"The New York Times reported late Saturday night that Senator John McCain will lie in state at the Arizona Capitol building and then the U.S. Capitol before being buried at Annapolis, Md."

I think this is highly appropriate.

The Trump issue is a quandary. Considering his childish behavior toward McCain, if I were McCain's family, I would not want Trump near him. At the same time, if Trump does not pay respect, he will be villainized. Of course that is nothing new for Trump. Even if Trump does a 180 is suddenly the biggest McCain fan ever, he will still be up craps creek for being two faced and no one would believe anything good he had to say anyway.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:28 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
go for it, I'm finding all the unprincipled flip flopping most entertaining, just dont include me or my money in celebrating the life of a govt employee and war criminal.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:31 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Thats an odd question imo. People can mourn who they want, but I think it would be a nice tribute if Trump ordered all flags to half mast. Perhaps have a reception at the National Cathedral to honor and remember the man.

You dont have to agree or even like McCain to show respect for his years of commitment to our country. I never voted for McCain and never would, way too hawkish for me.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:33 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No more cookies View Post
Nope. Respect is earned. No one is entitled to it.

If you don’t respect McCain or Obama that’s fine with me. You are entitled to your own feelings.
That's the awful mentality of PC culture. Basically saying nope, I will never like you unless you do something for me first and EARN my respect. A degree of respect should always be given and the office of the presidency should always have that respect. It doesn't mean personally liking the person. It means things like calling him Mr. President.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:34 AM

2,089 posts, read 1,416,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No more cookies View Post
Nope. Respect is earned. No one is entitled to it.

If you don’t respect McCain or Obama that’s fine with me. You are entitled to your own feelings.

People unworthy of personal respect often occupy elective positions of great importance and influence. Nevertheless, the office they occupy entitles them to the respect that office is due, which. if nothing else, means that a cessation of the personal disrespect for the time being is appropriate. If their personal behavior while in office shows their own disrespect for that office or they fail egregiously to fulfill the duties of that office. then actions to remove them from that office are in order. This is the simplified explanation. Countless variables come into play and it seldom unfolds in an uncomplicated manner.

Old 08-26-2018, 06:52 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,941,290 times
Default No doubt it's judgement. John McCain dies 9 years to the day after Ted Kennedy — of the same kind of cancer.

It's being reported.

"PHOENIX – U.S. Sen. John McCain died nine years to the day after his good friend Sen. Ted Kennedy — both of the same kind of cancer.

McCain, R-Ariz., died Saturday a little more than a year after he was diagnosed with glioblastoma, a rare form of brain cancer that affects roughly 10,000 Americans a year.

Kennedy, D-Mass., a close friend of McCain's in the Senate, was diagnosed in May 2008 and died Aug. 25, 2009.

The coincidence did not go unnoticed in the Twitterverse."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...er/1102340002/

Old 08-26-2018, 06:59 AM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You could start with his treating Israel like crap and supporting Muslims as well as eroding religious freedom. Things a true Christian would not do.
Forcing hard-working American taxpayers at gunpoint to subsidize the Israeli government is not something a true Christian would do.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:00 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,841,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Classy Kathy Griffin using McCain’s death as yet another opportunity to spew vulgar obscenities towards Trump.
This woman really has no shame .

—-

Kathy Griffin Rips Trump’s McCain Tribute: ‘Take His Name Out Your Mouth You P
https://www.breitbart.com/big-hollyw...ccain-tribute/
Well she's got to get her name back out there somehow. She's not above using McCain's dying as an opportunity to spew her vitriol at our president.

The hypocrisy of the left is that they will use McCain's death to push their agenda against President Trump and the conservatives.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:01 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,900,681 times
McCain was one of the few GOP candidates I voted for....twice!

It is shameful how trump made a joke of McCain's service to the USA. And trumps gutless followers, including some who are vets themselves, jumped on the trump bandwagon discrediting McCain. Pitiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies