Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 11:44 PM

33,508 posts, read 37,028,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Yet he managed to beat the political establishments of both parties. He beat the Clintons and the Bushes and they have 5 presidential wins between them. He beat the MSM. And, most interestingly, he beat all of you who said here for close to 2 years that he would never be elected.

For someone who claims Trump knows very little about very little the evidence certainly says otherwise.
This says a lot more about the IQ of the people who voted for him than it does about Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2018, 12:05 AM

32,971 posts, read 12,250,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Your statement has nothing to do with why Trump won the presidency. Trump won because he sold himself as the complete polar opposite of the previous administration, and enough people were displeased with how the country was run during the last 8 years to elect a complete newcomer to politics their president.
I think the bolded is a large part of it. Additionally, I think that one, people underestimated the distaste for/dislike re Hillary (even among some who voted for her) and two, I think Van Jones was right re it partially being a 'Whitelash'....but I think that influence was much smaller than he and people who completely agree with him think.

Quote:
Of course, since his election, we have endured nothing but constant controversy, but this has done nothing to sway those who voted for him. And that would be because he has attempted to keep his promises, and he is presiding over a major "boom" period which is going on in America as we speak. Trump was not elected because his voters were "uninformed" as so many users on this site try to say. These people were informed plenty over the previous 8 year administration that things were not going the way they wanted them to, and they set out to change that in a big way. That's what got Donald Trump elected to office. And the sooner you folks actually figure that out, the sooner you can start trying to take back those voters. Because I can tell you one thing for sure. Constantly calling those who voted for Trump "uneducated" or "uninformed" will never bring any of those votes back to your side. And weather you believe it or not, you definitely need some of them.

PS. Also, about the OP, anyone think there's a chance Trump could have been joking around and having fun. I mean, you did notice who is doing the interview right?
I didn't vote for Trump, and I'm not a Republican, but I agree with the bolded. I've always SMH re that approach. Some people who voted for Hillary are too dumb to realize what you pointed out and I bolded, but I think a lot of other people are smart enough to realize that, but are still too 'butthurt' to care about the long game.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:10 AM

32,971 posts, read 12,250,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
This says a lot more about the IQ of the people who voted for him than it does about Trump.
It might additionally show an underestimation of the desire for a greater likelihood of tax cuts coming to fruition, and might show an underestimation of the distaste/dislike for Hillary.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:17 AM

33,508 posts, read 37,028,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
It might additionally show an underestimation of the desire for a greater likelihood of tax cuts coming to fruition, and might show an underestimation of the distaste/dislike for Hillary.
Doesn't it bother you that 83% of the tax cuts went to the wealthiest?

Old 08-25-2018, 12:57 AM

539 posts, read 442,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
Your statement has nothing to do with why Trump won the presidency. Trump won because he sold himself as the complete polar opposite of the previous administration, and enough people were displeased with how the country was run during the last 8 years to elect a complete newcomer to politics their president. Of course, since his election, we have endured nothing but constant controversy, but this has done nothing to sway those who voted for him. And that would be because he has attempted to keep his promises, and he is presiding over a major "boom" period which is going on in America as we speak. Trump was not elected because his voters were "uninformed" as so many users on this site try to say. These people were informed plenty over the previous 8 year administration that things were not going the way they wanted them to, and they set out to change that in a big way. That's what got Donald Trump elected to office. And the sooner you folks actually figure that out, the sooner you can start trying to take back those voters. Because I can tell you one thing for sure. Constantly calling those who voted for Trump "uneducated" or "uninformed" will never bring any of those votes back to your side. And weather you believe it or not, you definitely need some of them.

PS. Also, about the OP, anyone think there's a chance Trump could have been joking around and having fun. I mean, you did notice who is doing the interview right?
I think you are wrong about some of your points.

Obama was a very popular president at the end of his term.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/116479/...-approval.aspx

At the time of the election, he had a 57 approval to 41 disapproval rate. The economy had rebounded after he inherited a disaster and economy was steadily improving under his leadership. Sure, hard core republicans labeled his 8 years as a disaster but a majority of Americans did not. Trump won because he defeated a very polarizing candidate who had endured years of investigation under white water and unfruitful years of the Benghazi investigation (from a legal perspective but it was successful from a political one). She failed to energizer her base and wasted time trying to lure moderate republicans in red states (like Arizona) to the fold when she should have focused on Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. The October surpise from Comey also dinged her without giving her enough time to rebut. Despite that she still managed to win the popular vote by 3 million and electorial vote was lost by 80k in three states. This had nothing to do with Obama but everything to do with Hillary.

Calling the other side names or disparaging their voters has been going on for decades or, if you read old newspapers, centuries. I have yet to read a study that correlates that to victory or defeat.

Finally, the lesson that need to be learned is excite your base and appeal to moderates/independents/undecided. Trying to turn the other side is fruitless and waste of time and money.

I think the more time passes, Obama will become even more popular. He left at a fairly high mark. You are right about saying we picked someone who was the opposite, because Obama was humble, compassionate, intelligent, and showed moments of grace.

Last edited by TheGrandViking; 08-25-2018 at 01:30 AM..

Old 08-25-2018, 01:25 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,694,656 times
Quote:
Yet he managed to beat the political establishments of both parties. He beat the Clintons and the Bushes and they have 5 presidential wins between them. He beat the MSM. And, most interestingly, he beat all of you who said here for close to 2 years that he would never be elected.

For someone who claims Trump knows very little about very little the evidence certainly says otherwise.
So, a lot of people left their trailer parks for once and voted for Trump?

Old 08-25-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Ahh. You hate 63 million of your fellow Americans. Call them stupid. Tell us you are smarter than than these people.

This is why you don't understand. The problem isn't Trump's.
It's not hate, more like pity I suppose.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Wow, what a brilliant observation! You are obviously very well qualified to judge other people's levels of understanding.
It was Tony Schwartz, you know the man who really wrote the art of the deal, who said that Trump told him that he didn't read books. Though Trump did tell Schwartz that he had a book containing Hitler's speech's in a bedside cabinet.

Old 08-25-2018, 01:38 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,247,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If one wants just a small sense of how uneducated this man is, watch this old vid clip of Ali G interviewing him.....

(Humans, as we know them, have only been around a million or so year and in terms of doing business....much less).....

https://twitter.com/SachaBaronCohen/...72177823395842
Not to be pedantic but

Humans as in the Homo genus have been around a few million years. Beginning with Homo Habilis (3-2.5 million years) ago a stone tool user (flint). Homo Sapiens is between 300,000 and 250,000 years old.

So if they [H. Habilis] traded chances are they traded rocks among other things, flint being uncommon and useful in tool manufacture.

So if you consider the hundreds of millions as a figurative statement not literal. He's probably accurate.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:52 AM

11,119 posts, read 5,549,729 times
Someone should compile a collection of video malaprops by this clown. I'm sure there's plenty of them and for those with a sense of gallows humor, they could be entertaining, as we watch him bring down our nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies