Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 01:45 AM

272 posts, read 217,803 times

Advertisements

Take this for example:

YouTube makeup guru's sponsors flee after resurfacing of racist and fat-shaming tweets from 2012-13 | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
Beauty blogger Laura Lee's cosmetic products lines have disappeared from major retailers as racist and fat-shaming tweets up to six years old resurfaced.

Laura Lee and Laura Lee Los Angeles products are no longer listed on ColourPop, Ulta, or BoxyCharm, and show as sold out on Morphe, according to Revelist.
How do you feel about it? Even though it was many years ago do you feel she still deserves to be punished?

Old 08-25-2018, 01:58 AM

179 posts, read 80,554 times
It's just ridiculous and petty, and from people who have no moral authority to be doing so themselves, usually. and they shouldn't be punished, as far as making a living goes, for saying something stupid today, either; that whole 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone' thing comes to mind re free speech, within certain boundaries, of course, yelling 'Fire!!' in a blah blah blah sense. I don't particularly care what my mechanic thinks about Trump, Hillary, broccoli, homosexuals, white people, brown people, any people, and so on. I do care about his competence with cars.

We're seeing that 'Me Too!!!' witch hunt turning in on itself, which of course is hilarious; it seems there just aren't enough sinless people out there to keep it going. lol Not to mention most of those in the media biz would screw a trainload of goats in the Hollywood Bowl on Easter Sunday if it got them a part in a big movie or a TV show.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:08 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,866,332 times
In general I don't think people should be punished for things they say alone away from work. Who decides what's offensive and should be punished? I hear things I disagree with and find offensive from all types of sources. I don't feel I should punish them for what they say alone especially when they are not even in a position of influence or policymaking. The irony is that some of these people making statements I find "offensive" are in influential positions and are untouchable.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:10 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
In general I don't think people should be punished for things they say alone away from work. Who decides what's offensive and should be punished? I hear things I disagree with and find offensive from all types of sources. I don't feel I should punish them for what they say alone especially when they are not even in a position of influence or policymaking. The irony is that some of these people making statements I find "offensive" are in influential positions and are untouchable.
Depends on what job you have. Plus if the company wants anyone with that mentality associated with their brand.

And if it's a job like a cop. Nope. Don't want someone with that mentality wearing a badge and a gun.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:33 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
My solution eliminates the punishment.
We need another gov. agency like the FDA, only instead of inspecting things like meat, they inspect people.
People would be required to present themselves every 3 years for gov. inspection and have their lives turned inside out. No violations, including on social media, will earn them the tattoo "IS", the stamp of approval, above the left eye.

Anyone in business and employers will support that. The public will know they are safe to hire and conduct business. No one will doubt the stamp/tattoo of approval.
Just don't tell them what the "IS" stands for.
No one will want to know what the "I" & "S" stands for anyway. I'm Stupid should be a secret and no one has to apologize. Thinking the gov. should control everything will solve the problem. Everyone is happy. All people have to do is comply. Make it a condition to get a drivers license and tens of millions will. Lets call this new gov. agency the "Bureau For Harmonious Society" or BFHS.

Last edited by phma; 08-25-2018 at 03:13 AM..

Old 08-25-2018, 03:34 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Just people indulging in outrage after the fact.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:36 AM

45,201 posts, read 26,417,923 times
Should we bring back the salem witch trials too?

Old 08-25-2018, 03:38 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Should we bring back the salem witch trials too?
According to the perpetually outraged, yes.

Old 08-25-2018, 03:55 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Just people indulging in outrage after the fact.
After the fact is when people usually get angry. You certainly have no reason to be outraged BEFORE the fact.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:29 AM

37,170 posts, read 19,174,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuMart View Post
Take this for example:

YouTube makeup guru's sponsors flee after resurfacing of racist and fat-shaming tweets from 2012-13 | Daily Mail Online

How do you feel about it? Even though it was many years ago do you feel she still deserves to be punished?
She apologized only after she got outed and started losing business? Let her swing in the breeze. Had she had a revelation and recanted and made an honest apology five years ago and removed the tweets, she wouldn't have a problem. She obviously is willing to lie for money as soon as it starts disappearing because of her own prejudice and stupidity.

She dug her own sty. Let her wallow in it.

Last edited by cuebald; 08-25-2018 at 04:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies