Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2018, 12:19 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthDeKalb View Post
But you said she wasn’t coming at allllllllllll...
I was wrong about that. I am very surprised that she showed.

She provided no corroborating evidence, except for the three witnesses that she named, all of who have stated that they attended no such party, which refutes her story. That is literally all the corroborating evidence that there is.

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Based on my high school and early college days:

where were the parents of this party-bunch, specifically the falling-down-drunk boys?

On vacations, a business trip, visiting relatives in another state. Once I was 14 or 15 I usually had the option of staying home if I chose.

These entitled, spoiled, over indulged, testosterone-poisoned preppy boys seemed to attend boozy unchaperoned house parties weekly or more often in the summer, always with no parents present or apparently aware.

[color="red"]Assumption or do you have personal knowledge about what these boys were like. I went to and had some wild parties but we were none of these things. Parties were not weekly, but if you ahve fifteen friends and half of them have a party in the summer that is seven parties in two and a half months. We did not have any sexual shennangains that I recall, but when I was in college, I went to some parties with work friend in a nearby town that was even more blue collar there was some weird s**t going on at those parties. At one, a gal removed her clothing yelled "Everybody who wants to can F*C* me" laid down on the kitchen table and opened her legs. She was a friend of my girlfriend, so I picked her up carried her outside and dumped her in my car and threw a blanket over her telling her to go to sleep and I would drive her home when we left. Back inside I was told that was pointless. She does that all the time. All I did was make some guys mad at me. Point is near and new adults have very messed up ideas about sex until they mature a bit. Wierd stuff happens. Never saw any rape, but "trains" supposedly happened from time to time where a gal would announce her availability and guys woudl line up at he bedroom door. Where where their parents? I have no idea.

/COLOR]

Didn't the parents ever recognize their kids were hungover?

No. Parent see what they want to see. I once came home from a party at 5:30 a.m. drunk as a skunk. My Dad happily greeted me and said how proud he was that I remembered I needed to be up to drive him to the airport. I was too tired to drive, so he drove I rode along to bring the car home. Then I slept until noon in the parking lot. He had not idea. Hangovers are easier to hide than being wasted around your parents.

Didn't they ever notice the vast number of beer cans and perhaps liquor bottles in the trash, notice equally trashed houses once they got home to party-central?

No, if you hosted a party, you also had a designated clean up crew who would spend the night. All traces were removed, anything broken was repaired, removed or a good story was created, blood in the carpet? I cut my hand trying to slice up some potatoes, sorry about the mess (of course then you woudl have to cut your hand so you had a cut to show them - then you just got sympathy and focused attention on your hand, not on other odd things in the house).

Didn't parents ever smell booze on them or take note of their no doubt disheveled states?

Usually you were asleep when they woke up and cleaned up before they saw you. Otherwise, scope and Drakaar. I was always disheveled. IN high school I often got home between 3 and 5 a.m. My parents often woke up (I heard the toilet flush) but they never said anything other than to ask what time I got home. I always just said "I am not sure, I fell asleep in the parking lot because I was too tired to drive, so I get home pretty late (which was usually true, but it was usually a half hour to two hour nap.). In college, I was a punker. I hid my tail, hid or made excuses for the cuts and bruises, used wash out hair die, kept good boy clothing in my car to change into before i went home. Parents never knew what I was doing. Just visiting friends and getting home late. Plus I had a lot of accidents at work, even some broken bones (mosh pits).

Didn't they give a damn, or did they just write it off as appropriate teenage shenanigans? Didn't the neighbors ever call the police about noise and other party-related issues?

They did not know and probably did not want to know. Usually you invite the neighbors or buy them off before a party. Sometimes they called the police however you always had lookouts posted so yu cleaned up the scene before they got to the house and the police just made everyone leave. Back then if the police caught kids with a car full of booze, they would either pour it out and send the kids home or take it and drink it themselves after their shift. I had an added risk. The chief of police was best friends with my Dad. Luckily I never had police called to any of my parties. (But they did learn about some of them, it was a bad scene).

And what about the parents of the girls who hung out with these spoiled brats? No doubt like the boys, the girls lied about their activities - but why was supervision so slack? Did they all climb out their bedroom windows to hang out with their preppy pals? Couldn't the parents tell that their kids were lying about having chaperones, having good clean fun, etc.? How gullible - or plain lazy - or indulgent were these parents?

As noted above, in my experience the girls were often the sexual instigators where things got out of control. Where were their parents? One wild girlfriend - her mother was usually at home watching her (girlfriend's) baby son. Most of the out of control girls had divorced parents lived with Mom, Mom was always working or exhausted and asleep. They just walked you their front door. No need for windows in most cases. Another girlfriend her dad was senile. I do not remember her mom, except that she was extremely docile. That girlfriend was sexually out of control as well (which is why we ended up breaking up instead of getting married). Turned out it was because she had been molested by her dad and uncle. Most of the girls I knew were messed up one way or another. Typically they had divorced parents, abusive parents, distant/absent parents, or had been sexually molested at some point in their lives.

I am not talking about the parents of the naïve kids who were enticed to a one-time event where they were molested, or got in over their heads, but of those who habitually "partied" in this dissolute fashion and who had no respect for the truth or for others.

One timers aka "posers" usually had a few drinks and left. None of them were all that naive. I knew some kids who acted naive, but they were absolutely the opposite. Kids today do seem to be more naive and protected than they were then. Maybe that is only because I grew up in a roughish town and my kids grew up in upper middle suburbia. My little brother was a one timer of sorts. He just stayed home and played with his computers and watched TV. When he was a senior my dad expressed concern that he was not living. HE asked me to take him out and do something crazy, but not too crazy. Little bro ended up passed out int he bushes holding the garden hose on himself with the water running. People wanted to do mean things to him (like write on his face with permanent marker or pierce his ear. I got bloody protecting him, but he had fun and loosened up a little. We got home at 4 am and lil bro vomits all the next day. Dad never said a word.

Single-sex education may well bear part of the blame, as it often leads to the opposite sex being viewed as "other", "not like us", and inferior and put here for pleasure, devil take the consequences. This certainly appears to have been the case at Georgetown Prep during the 1980s.

It is possible although we had plenty of that nasty stuff gong on in areas with co-ed schools, but when I was in college the girls from all girl catholic high schools were the most sexually out of control girls. (Disappointing because I really liked one of them but you did not date girls like that).

It was a different time with different values. People seemed a lot more crazy than now. While nothing justifies gang rape, really horrible sexual shenanigans were not unheard of. Certainly boys put a lot of pressure on girls for sex, but girls often instigated some of the things as well. Often everyone woke up and had no idea what had happened at the end of the evening. You had to be told by the DDs or someone who did not party but attended parties. I never participated in the trains or any group sex things (I was a one on one kind of guy and have always believed sex is more than just exercise), but they certainly happened. Often I attended parties where stuff like that happened, and I did not even know it happened until someone talked about it the next day or later. There were always conflicting stories about what happened, who it was, what caused it etc. I was at a party where someone was killed and I did not know it. Someone went blind from Mushrooms. I knew an ambulance came, but had no idea why until a week later. I never heard any instances of someone claiming to be raped, but it likely happened. Drunk kids are stupid out of control. Not an excuse, a fact. I know I did some dumb ass illegal things while drunk as a kid (like breaking into a sheriffs station and taking a plant as a souvenir). It doesn't excuse anyone form a crime they commit, but it does explain why things happen. I have not been that drunk in decades, but you get to a point where you do not really know what you are doing. Sometimes you come home and find yourself holding something that you have now idea where it came from. Or you wake up with a girl and do not know who she is. Sometimes disappointingly to discover nothing happened, you both just happened to pass out in the same place. It was not unusual at all to find passed out people all over the house who you had no idea who they were or who invited them. If necessary, take their keys, figure out which car is theirs, put them in the back seat and dump it in a parking lot. Part of the clean up crew job.

Things were different in 1982. Parents were different too. I woke up one morning in the Mom's bed with mom sleeping on the couch nearby. She had come home after the party ended found me passed out and just crashed on the couch. When I got up she woke up and said "Why aren't you sleeping with my daughter? (Daughter had a BF away in the military is why)" Then they took me to breakfast.

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Cornyn is saying that he no reason not to believe her.

Well now.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:20 PM

20,758 posts, read 8,562,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I went to one frat party in college. I saw everyone drunk, could smell the testosterone in the air, was uncomfortable by the intense stares and left quickly. Some female friends went to many of those parties. They wanted what the men were offering.

One girl deliberately got pregnant because she wanted to marry the rich kid. She did.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:20 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Sorry, but this simply isn't what I'd call a horrific or even particularly disturbing experience. Listen to her getting all emotional about it. Sorry, but I think she's a freaking idiot.
I hope you never go through an experience traumatizing to you only to have some ogre speak of you that way.

Old 09-27-2018, 12:21 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,299,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Cornyn is saying that he no reason not to believe her.

Yowza!
Still doesn’t mean he’s not voting to confirm. There is no solid evidence either way. This should go 52-48 as it was initially expected

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Just because she believed she was going to be raped doesn't mean it was going to happen. If I believe you are going to steal my wallet, should I be able to accuse you of theft?
If your hand is trying to get in my pocket, while restraining me, yeah you're a thief.

If you are trying to pick a lock to a house, a burglar.

5,733 posts, read 4,688,017 times
What a softball hearing. Dem senators grandstanding with their speeches was sickening.

The woman speaking for the republican men didn't get to the bottom of anything. She wasn't effective at all.

I wouldn't be surprised is Kav's nomination is pulled.

304 posts, read 160,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
None of these issues are important to the donors who fund these judges. Thats just distraction for the masses. Whats important is to eliminate restrictions on campaign financing and ensuring that labor unions are destroyed so workers cant organize effectively. Corporate judges on the supreme court are crucial for this. The rich people can get as many abortions as they want, regardless of whether its legal or illegal. They dont care about that stuff.

Its called the socialite rule, your rich and go to Europe or Canada or something and get it done to avoid scandal...it was like that before 1973 and will continue IF roe v wade is ever overturned.

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Quote:
No one talked about this party because no one remembered it.
Convenient amnesia on the part of at least two of the participants, isn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies