Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 08:37 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,512,122 times

Advertisements

Senator Claire McCaskill's (D-MO) political survival is probably dependent on her voting to confirm Kavanaugh. But that will also diminish her supporters on the extreme left. She is clearly stuck between the proverbial rock and the hard place.

Quote:
McCaskill's political fate likely hinges on Kavanaugh vote

Sen. Claire McCaskill of Missouri is playing it coy as she gets closer to a confirmation vote on Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh for the Supreme Court, refusing to declare her intention on what is shaping up to be the most consequential vote of her political life.

Her decision likely won’t determine the fate of President Trump’s high court pick, but it will impact her re-election run as a Democrat in Trump country. She is in one of the tightest races on the map this year and under intense pressure from the left and the right over the confirmation vote.

Mr. Trump, who won Missouri by an 18-point margin in 2016, will increase the pressure with a “Make American Great Again” rally Thursday in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, to boost her opponent, Republican state Attorney General Josh Hawley.

“McCaskill’s in a difficult situation politically with the Kavanaugh vote,” said Missouri Republican Party strategist Gregg Keller. “She has to vote against Kavanaugh in order to placate the pro-abortion left. At the same time, she has to cynically hope the majority of Missouri voters will fall for the idea she’s approaching the vote with an open mind, which she isn’t.”

Old 09-10-2018, 08:46 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Senator Claire McCaskill's (D-MO) political survival is probably dependent on her voting to confirm Kavanaugh. But that will also diminish her supporters on the extreme left. She is clearly stuck between the proverbial rock and the hard place.
Just once, I wish our appointed leaders would vote based on what is RIGHT as opposed to what will win them re-election.

Otherwise, why send them there to begin with?

Old 09-10-2018, 08:49 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Accusing "lefties" of harping on this is part of a 4chan "prank." It has been around awhile.

The "prank," if it even rises to that level, is a to flash the "o-kkk" hand sign and then act like you had no idea what it meant while others jump in to defend your innocence and claim that "lefties" are unjustly accusing you and harping on it.

Zina Bash has been a longtime Republican legal operative and surely knows that's the deal here.

As do the rest of us.

Forward ever.

It's ridiculous for the right wingers to keep prattling on about it and it's a stupid prank best left to middle school age children. Typical.

Quote:
Troll post.
No. The post I quoted above was not a 'troll' post.

Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
No. The post I quoted above was not a 'troll' post.
Yes, it was.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:24 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,057,521 times
Quote:
Just once, I wish our appointed leaders would vote based on what is RIGHT as opposed to what will win them re-election.

Otherwise, why send them there to begin with?
Do you want them to do what they think is right, what their voters think is right or what you think is right?

Old 09-10-2018, 09:26 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Quote:
Yes, it was.
"The way people talk about politics now is more about trying to insult, offend and hurt people than it is about any sort of mature exchange of intellectual ideas.

This sort of a forum is a better place to have a frank exchange of political views, because posters are anonymous and not trying to sustain long term personal relationships here.

With our families and people we want to maintain good relations with, it is probably better to steer clear of attacking and insulting each other. Best to keep it light."

Above are your words, and I like them...

Sometimes you don't do so well living by them, but of course most people in this forum don't.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
"The way people talk about politics now is more about trying to insult, offend and hurt people than it is about any sort of mature exchange of intellectual ideas.

This sort of a forum is a better place to have a frank exchange of political views, because posters are anonymous and not trying to sustain long term personal relationships here.

With our families and people we want to maintain good relations with, it is probably better to steer clear of attacking and insulting each other. Best to keep it light."

Above are your words, and I like them...

Sometimes you don't do so well living by them, but of course most people in this forum don't.
At least I am being honest about the content of my posts, which is certainly not true for quite a few other posters around here.

This sort of a forum is a great place for people to come to have some pretty unvarnished and straight-forward exchanges, especially on controversial topics like politics and current events. We all know this. Having anonymous user names and also interacting with people that we have essentially no prospect of ever developing a personal relationship makes this possible. It is not truly personal here, because we do not know each other in a personal way and it is extremely unlikely that we ever will.

What is sad is that many people interact face to face with people, including members of their families, in this same tone and style, at celebrations and gatherings that are supposed to be cause for celebration and thanksgiving. People who act this way in these settings ruin relationships and these times of togetherness.

We should all be more considerate with people that we are supposed to care about than this. If you want to mix it up with someone, come to a forum like this. If you want to spend time with your family or friends, be friendly and don't behave hurtfully towards others. If you do, you are a hurtful person and that is on you.

Old 09-10-2018, 09:56 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,966,236 times
Quote:
Yeah. Such a genius she is. Right in the middle of a SCOTUS hearing.

Is she a grown up?
I don't think anyone should be lecturing about being a grown up, given the behavior of the paid goons from the left during this hearing.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:02 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I don't think anyone should be lecturing about being a grown up, given the behavior of the paid goons from the left during this hearing.

Well, they just don't care about that....they agree with it....

Old 09-10-2018, 10:02 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,696,629 times
Quote:
At least I am being honest about the content of my posts, which is certainly not true for quite a few other posters around here.

This sort of a forum is a great place for people to come to have some pretty unvarnished and straight-forward exchanges, especially on controversial topics like politics and current events. We all know this. Having anonymous user names and also interacting with people that we have essentially no prospect of ever developing a personal relationship makes this possible. It is not truly personal here, because we do not know each other in a personal way and it is extremely unlikely that we ever will.

What is sad is that many people interact face to face with people, including members of their families, in this same tone and style, at celebrations and gatherings that are supposed to be cause for celebration and thanksgiving. People who act this way in these settings ruin relationships and these times of togetherness.

We should all be more considerate with people that we are supposed to care about than this. If you want to mix it up with someone, come to a forum like this. If you want to spend time with your family or friends, be friendly and don't behave hurtfully towards others. If you do, you are a hurtful person and that is on you.
Agreed, but I think we all tend to show our "true colors" here just like anywhere else. Those inclined toward childish insults here are likely to be inclined the same way elsewhere. Those inclined toward more adult, mature and civil exchange here, are also likely to be so inclined in their personal dealings. I used to work as an Executive Coach, helping people to achieve their profession and personal goals, much having to do with a focus on how to deal with others. I used to give my clients this quote in the early going, many who told me they posted these words on their office wall with hopes of trying to remember them while in the work place.

"I have come to the frightening conclusion that I am the decisive element. It is my personal approach that creates the climate. It is my daily mood that makes the weather. I possess tremendous power to make life miserable or joyous. I can be a tool of torture or an instrument of inspiration; I can humiliate or humor, hurt or heal. In all situations, it is my response that decides whether a crisis is escalated or de-escalated, and a person is humanized or de-humanized. If we treat people as they are, we make them worse. If we treat people as they ought to be, we help them become what they are capable of becoming." -- Goethe

I have passed these words along more than a few times in this forum too but never seems to make much difference...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies