Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 05:42 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

Fox News website has Alan Dershowitz calling for the vote to be postponed until the FBI an investigate accusations.

Alan Dershowitz: Postpone Kavanaugh confirmation until FBI can investigate accusations against him | Fox News

American Bar Association is calling for the same thing.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/28/amer...legations.html

Last edited by GotHereQuickAsICould; 09-28-2018 at 06:59 AM..

Old 09-28-2018, 05:42 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnytang24 View Post
You do know it's practically impossible to prove someone is lying about the past, especially if they only give vague, general answers. At best, they could show that a claim is unsubstantiated.

Swetnick claims Kavanaugh was witness to a gang rape at an unspecified party on an unspecified date. How could they prove she's lying? Even if NO ONE else can corroborate the story, the best investigators can do is say they could not find any evidence. Even ATM receipts, video, etc wouldn't prove she's lying, because she could just say it's a different party.

Let's flip this around: What evidence could possibly exonerate him at this point, from your view? What evidence would prove, to you, that any of the women are lying?
You can with concrete evidence. This happens every day and people go to jail for it.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:43 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yes the big FEAR is delaying the vote. Not sure why there is a push to have the vote...other than political.....

And -- right -- investigation may not provide any more information but we will never know.

And there could be some whackos or there could be some other folks that come forth with more information.

We don't know.

Folks are coming to conclusions based on their bias as if it is fact....it isn't.

There is so much unknown. There just is.

You can't be this naive.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:44 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseManOnceSaid View Post
If they delay. You know what happens next? The Dems push for another delay. So then the Repubs delay again. You know what happens next?? The Dems push for another delay. I bet you can guess what happens after that delay too.
Again - more theories based on perceptions, bias, etc....partisan politics.

So we don't want to investigate to see if we can find facts to support either claim because maybe their might be more stuff later on.

Political strategy. Political games.

If folks are so sure that this is the kind of SCOTUS that American voters want -- what's the worry. The midterm elections this could be the key issue and American voters could decide what is most important......

The FEAR is that this is only a priority for the strong Republican base and that may not be enough to win over the midterms.

2,427 posts, read 3,563,757 times
Pilgrims, I was thinking the same thing. He has changed, for the worse since McCain died. I no longer care for him at all.

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
After three, so far failed, hail marys by the left to smear Kavanaugh, the left's biggest fears is that he still becomes a Supreme Court Justice. They will have been responsible for ensuring that his decisions in close deliberations will go against anyone on the left, or mainstream media(pretty much the same people). We can only hope the left will have learned their lesson and be more civil in future nominations by a Republican president. Otherwise they will be responsible for their own long term doom.

"We can only hope the left will have learned their lesson and be more civil in future nominations by a Republican president."

Don't hold your breathe. You Might be to young to know of Robert Bork,(have you ever heard the term "getting Borked"?), John Tower ("where do I go to get MY REPUTATION BACK?") and Clarence Thomas, ALL men the left have attacked in the same manner.

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Opposition to gay marriage is in the GOP platform. It's on the first page. Their opposition is laid out in detail.
And what decade was this? Do you have a copy? Post it.
Quote:
The same woman that wouldn't give a gay couple a marriage license was also married four times and had two children out of wedlock.
What does this have to do with anything?

Quote:
Trump supporters definitely tend to be anti-gay. They want gay marriage to go back to the states, which is one of the many reasons they want Kavanaugh so much.
Do you have some kind of inside knowledge? Unless some case is brought before the Supreme Court (unlikely at this point), the Supreme Court isn't going to be looking at this.

You're like those Democrats that Kavanaugh was talking about in his opening statement yesterday, when he described the vermin in the Democrat Party that claimed, "People will die if Kavanaugh is confirmed," and other equally vile claims. Was Kavanaugh describing you? Are you one of those activists? Do you have a "pink p u s s y hat?" Are you an "Antifa" fascist?

Old 09-28-2018, 05:47 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,979,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Again - more theories based on perceptions, bias, etc....partisan politics.

So we don't want to investigate to see if we can find facts to support either claim because maybe their might be more stuff later on.

Political strategy. Political games.

If folks are so sure that this is the kind of SCOTUS that American voters want -- what's the worry. The midterm elections this could be the key issue and American voters could decide what is most important......

The FEAR is that this is only a priority for the strong Republican base and that may not be enough to win over the midterms.
There's no evidence. If there were, he'd and the other rapists would be in jail.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
If you've filled out an SF86, you probably are well aware that they commonly only go back 7 years. In some cases 10. A background check doesn't necessarily cover your high school years - it depends when you did the background check AND how thorough it was. If you aren't going for some high level of clearance, the check is mostly limited to just you. Verifying citizenship and places of residence. They don't necessarily delve deeply into all of your contacts.

Looking at Kavanaugh's history, let's say he stopped this sort of behavior in the mid 80s, that pretty much means that by the early 90s, a background investigation would not be questioning high school friends. And by the late 90s, a more in-depth (10 year) check would not even be contacting college friends.

Short version, if you are relying on the government background check that the common citizen is aware of (like the one that uses the SF86), it wouldn't be covering things this guy did back in the early to mid 80s.

" A background check doesn't necessarily cover your high school years" Mine DID and I was 40 at the time with a clean record.

M old high school friends I had NOT heard from for YEARS got in touch with me asking what it was all about.

Old 09-28-2018, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I was just responding to questions asking why they would step up. Why wouldn't they, especially since there's no way they'd face any repercussions. At least not criminal.

I do still think the timing of it is hinky. I don't know that I'm believing them, but I'm not believing ANY of this, lol.

" Why wouldn't they, especially since there's no way they'd face any repercussions. At least not criminal."

Did you even WATCH?

There is NO Statute of Limitations where for sexual abuse where this supposedly occurred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies