Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 07:12 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times

Advertisements

The Sixth Amendment requires he be able to face his accuser. So she should come forward and make charges with law enforcement, because that is how it is done and the process is laid out as to what has to happen. What would anyone like to happen instead? He rescind his nomination based on an anonymous letter?

Old 09-14-2018, 07:26 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
The Sixth Amendment requires he be able to face his accuser. So she should come forward and make charges with law enforcement, because that is how it is done and the process is laid out as to what has to happen. What would anyone like to happen instead? He rescind his nomination based on an anonymous letter?
This isn't a criminal trial any more than was the case with Roy Moore.

This is the court of public opinion.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:28 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Yes and most people will be smart enough to see through this desperate and low tactic

Old 09-14-2018, 07:31 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,008 times
Diane Feinstein supposedly had the letter since july. So why didnt she come forward then, or question him aboutvit during the hearings..
I'll tell you why...it didn't exist. It was made up, to use as a last minute hail mary.
I could get 65 women to zign a letter that my husband has a good moral character, in less than 24 hrs. I'm sure there are many people that knew him from way back, that tell friends "I went to the sister school of a supreme court nominee".
My brother went to school with one of the women on the tv show Designing women. He remembered her during that time. People that later on go on to become successful are remembered by their high school associates. Not odd at all, that people would jump to defend someone being malugned for political reasons.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:32 PM

21,472 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Yes they do but to get 64 signatures within a day or two going back 30 years should make you question the validity, he must have been very popular. Sounds like the John Kerry Swift Boat people.
Not when you consider that he has had to go through these background checks and list people and find contact information for them, and they’re probably all in a file that his clerks could easily find and start making calls. You or I would probably have a hard time finding people, but not people in his position with the background information readily available.

Last edited by katygirl68; 09-14-2018 at 08:02 PM..

Old 09-14-2018, 07:33 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Quote:

It's a circus and this is one of the acts.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:35 PM

21,472 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:

Well, you can think of him as the rapist while he sits on the Supreme Court for the rest of his life. They’ve already done that to Clarence Thomas. It’s a disgusting tactic, but completely pointless since he’s going to be confirmed.

Last edited by katygirl68; 09-14-2018 at 07:59 PM..

Old 09-14-2018, 07:40 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Well, you can think of him as the rapist while he sits on he Supreme Court for the rest of his life. They’ve already done that to Clarence Thomas. It’s a disgusting tactic, but completely pointless since he’s going to be confirmed.
This would be a step up from the claims about Thomas, this was an assault. I do find it strange that it never came up before and that the Federalist Society wasn't aware. He may be innocent but it does sound credible. He will be confirmed but if true the senators that voted his approval can't say they weren't aware.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:40 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
This is where this is going. If anonymous, unsubstantiated allegations from high school, 35 years after the supposed event took place, initiated against an otherwise squeaky clean candidate for the Supreme Court, after all of the hearings are over and two weeks before the final vote, pushed by politicians and media types who have already demonstrated on many occassions over a long period of time that baseless smears and shameless lies are their first order of behavior, are to be assumed to be correct, then our current system of justice, which used to includes a presumption of innocence and the right to face you accuser, is effectively over with.

This incident is going to force Senators Murkowski and Collins to choose between supporting the lynch mob, McCarthyite justice of the MeToo movement, or our traditional legal protections as outlined in the Constitution. They will be pressured by the fascist, relentlessly lying, bullying and smearing Democrat left, including some in the media to support the former, but it is likely that they stand up and support the latter in this case. The circumstances as outlined in the previous paragraph above are just too blatantly compelling.

The big loser here is almost certainly going to be the #MeToo movement, and the relentlessly lying Democrat left are going to own that completely, whether they are willing to take responsibility for that or not, which they being who they are, no doubt will not be.

Old 09-14-2018, 07:47 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,371,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
And why didn’t she say anything when Trump first nominated him? Why only a week before confirmation? If you believe this, I’ve got something to sell you
She had sent the letter much earlier than when this all came out.

If someone had done this to me when I was young, I might be hesitant to bring it out there because people like some posters on this thread would not believe it and make scurrilous remarks. Besides that, her name and background would be all over the news. Look how some of the women who came out about Roy Moore were treated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies