Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 11:54 PM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Since you believe as you do, I can appreciate the depth of your anger and certainly agree the process is both flawed and problematic. Admittedly, I know little of his record (other than what I've read on this thread) but I did watch some the Kavanaugh testimony (clips) and did not come away with a particularly charitable take on his behavior.

To excuse it as justifiable anger at mistreatment is not acceptable. This is the SCOTUS we're talking about - not for me the positions it might take but the institution itself.

A while back on this thread I pulled up a Time analysis of the reasons why SCOTUS nominations have done down but won't now take the time to find it. Suffice to say that Kavanaugh did not appear to follow the wise advice that Roberts gave in how to handle Senatorial questioning.
I wonder how Roberts would have handled his questioning if he’d just come off a week of people claiming he was an attempted rapist, had put his penis on someone’s face at a party, and drugged girls to participate in gang rape. I doubt he would have been much different than Kavanaugh.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:55 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,800,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Thanks for explaining the two front door thing. I kept hearing the house, where it allegedly happened, had two front doors, I guess, and I thought it was pretty odd but then it's not my house, lol.

Did she say why she went to the upstairs bathroom to begin with, instead of using the downstairs bathroom? I'm guessing that these are fairly ritzy homes, on the golf course, too, it would be hard to imagine it not having a downstairs bathroom.
Age of the home likely. My 1904 home had 9 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms, but not a single one on the ground floor.

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I believe she testified that she had one drink, not near enough to become blackout drunk.

.........and then there is the fact that some people who knew him at that time claim he often drank in excess.
And yet, she doesn't remember how she got home .. just saying.

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Who keeps their calendar from when they were in high school? That's some kind of OCD compulsion.

Kavenaugh also revealed himself to be hopelessly partisan, and emotionally unstable --- there are LOTS of other lawyers who could be nominated for the Supreme Court. There is nothing that makes Kavenaugh the one and only candidate. Move on to someone who is more rational and stable.
He explained how his father was his inspiration for keeping the calendar/journal as he kept one himself and used to tell his family stories about family events, weddings, and such when he was a child.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:56 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
I realize that there some homes do not have downstairs bathrooms, but, the home in question is near a country club, from what I gather, and if it is then it's an upscale home .. so chances are greater that it would have a downstairs bathroom.

I wasn't asking for guesses, I could do that myself, I was asking IF she was asked about it and what her answer was.
I do not recall anyone asking her that but I can relate to being a young girl because I was one once and if there was a choice of using a bathroom in the immediate vicinity of where everyone was hanging out, I would have opted for the one that offered more privacy. What is the point of your question? I can venture a guess but please share.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:57 PM

23,563 posts, read 12,535,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Age of the home likely. My 1904 home had 9 bedrooms and 5 bathrooms, but not a single one on the ground floor.
So your home is a typical upscale suburban home that's near a country club?

Old 09-28-2018, 11:58 PM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
I believe she testified that she had one drink, not near enough to become blackout drunk.

.........and then there is the fact that some people who knew him at that time claim he often drank in excess.

funny, she was never investigated or challenged in the hearing....they treated her with white gloves.

nobody asked her if she used drugs during the 80's in high school....and she could say she had 1 beer but nobody did an FBI background check on her. Nobody knows how she was.

how the Senate treated her and how they treated him it was so night and day.

drinking in "excess" doesn't prove anything or the allegations......being high doesn't prove anything either.

Democrats can't put him in the house with her, so they are going after his drinking to say he drank so much he couldn't remember and he could have done it.......that's so wrong.

that's like investigating her life and finding a few people in high school that didn't like her that say she used to get high all the time and act clueless sometimes in class or acted weird or goofy in school or did that or did this and then using that to suggest her character is not so clean so that means she is lying or not credible.

go watch the hearing again, all the Democrats didn't ask 1 question about her past or challenge her.....all of them were just praising her just for showing up and not falling down......it was pathetic.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:58 PM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Go troll someone else...you bore me.
Or we could just put each other on ignore...much better option since you also don't know what trolling is.

You think I'm sure, I'm not. I think you're biased, but don't care either way.

Bottom line - both Ford & Kavanaugh are permanently scarred because allegations are being judged without enough evidence. Sad indeed.

Old 09-28-2018, 11:59 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,278,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
None of that baggage has been proven.

Would you like to be denied your job based off of an accusation with zero supporting evidence?
There's plenty of evidence that he's a liar, which is exactly why the ABA called for a delay of the vote, and Flake pulled a 180 and decided he'd let the FBI handle it.

Lying is a pretty big deal, and as a country, we can do better than appointing a liar for a lifetime position for the SCOTUS

Old 09-28-2018, 11:59 PM

14,775 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Correct, I didn't drink much in high school. It was much easier to get pot than alcohol in the late 70's.

You would be wrong though that I didn't party hard in college and well into my 20's.

People metabolize alcohol differently.

The fact that some of you cant hold alcohol doesn't mean there aren't millions of other people who can drink to excess without blacking out, passing out, or committing crimes they don't remember.

I have been very drunk many times in my life when I was younger without doing any of the above things.

Additionally, that fact that Kavanaugh was noted for "ralphing".....i.e. vomiting due to alcohol consumption is further proof to me that its unlikely there's an episode of black out drinking.

When you throw up, you effectively get rid of the last drink or two you had thereby accelerating the process of sobering up.

I can remember many times sticking a finger down my throat rather than continuing to suffer the misery of nausea and the room spinning. Once you throw up its much better.

I am a little embarrassed to admit that I have been that drunk in my youth, to black out twice....
and I literally remember nothing, zilch, nada, not a thing....it can happen.

Quote:

While his recollections are of harmless partying, interviews with his former classmates turned up less sanguine memories of Judge Kavanaugh and alcohol. While some found Judge Kavanaugh’s college drinking unexceptional, nearly a dozen others said they recalled his indulging in heavy drinking, with some characterizing it as outside the norms of college life. James Roche, a Silicon Valley entrepreneur who roomed with Judge Kavanaugh their freshman year at Yale, described him as “frequently unusually drunk” and someone who could become “belligerent and mean” when he drank.

Another former classmate, Dr. Elizabeth Swisher, now a gynecologic oncologist in Seattle, said it would be “a lie” to say that he “never had a blackout” from drinking in college.

“I saw him very drunk many times and there is no way he remembers everything about every night,” she said.

Several Yale classmates recounted an incident during Judge Kavanaugh’s senior year: After a bout of drinking, they said, he tried to break into the enclosed back of a pickup truck belonging to one of them, and later refused to apologize or repair the damage.....
Dr. Blasey said she managed to get away when Mr. Judge, laughing, jumped onto the bed, sending all three teenagers tumbling to the floor. Judge Kavanaugh denies assaulting Dr. Blasey or even being at the party in question, and Mr. Judge has said he has “no recollection” of the alleged incident.

Mr. Judge wrote a memoir of his own experiences with alcohol while at Georgetown Prep, “Wasted: Tales of a Gen X Drunk,” in which he described an environment of binge drinking and blackouts. The book refers to a “Bart O’Kavanaugh” who “puked in someone’s car” and “passed out on his way back from a party.” Mr. Judge did not respond to requests for comment.

to read the entire article...
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/26/u...gh-school.html
-----
Quote:
It is illuminating, as well, that, as a matter of course, when Kavanaugh was asked questions about his drinking—about a pattern of alcohol use that many of the people who knew him in high school and college and law school described as excessive—his responses were not merely to wrinkle his nose in defensive disgust. They were also to deflect. He’d talk about his grades. He’d talk about getting into Yale, and then into Yale Law, which, he would like to remind you—this being a job interview, and thus a time when a little bragging is fitting—was the top law school in the country at the time. Kavanaugh cannot seem to imagine a world in which one could be both a high-achieving student and a person who regularly got aggressively and belligerently drunk—any more than many of his supporters can seem to imagine a world in which a man might be capable of great kindness toward one woman and great cruelty toward another.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertai...inking/571435/

Here is an excellent article on how alcohol can cause blackouts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.d73b44b4f8f8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies