Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2018, 08:09 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
What, what? He has already stated under perjury that he cannot recall......
His memory will come back when the FBI talks to him. Like Jeff Sessions.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:10 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
nope you're wrong.....that was Judge's official statement...he can't change it without risking prosecution
You're not getting it: Before, it was just a letter sent from Judge's lawyer, but we are now dealing with an FBI investigation. Judge knows full well that if the FBI uncover evidence that he was, in fact, in that room, if he lies to them about it, he's toast.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:11 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Finally, a little sense from you. You are correct, he had no choice, and I would do the same thing if my name was being slandered after already having been seated on the 2nd highest court in the land and now something from 35 years ago is coming out, and those supposed witnesses just "don't recall" and one, her long time friend even says she "don't recall" and has never met Kav....

What would you do, just lay down and say o.k.?
What's with the drama? Isn't there enough on display?

I've been on job interviews if that's what you're getting at. He handled this job interview poorly.

18,432 posts, read 8,266,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
And just think what is going to happen when the opposite is true. . . .
There is no opposite...what are they going to find out? That Ford said Keyser was at the party and knows Kavanaugh?

...Keyser signed a affidavit saying she knows of no party and does not even know Kavanaugh

17,156 posts, read 12,956,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Undoubtedly she has been coached by some of the most conniving, deceitful, vindictive lawyers and politicians that exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post

Undoubtedly? Who coached Dr. Ford? Show us the surveillance tapes. What, you don't have any proof? Imagine that
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
Professor Ford has no proof. Realize that.
You're not answering my question. You're deflecting. Many of you said that she has been coached and this is all some Democrat conspiracy. I ask you, show us the proof. You said she has been undoubtedly coached. Show us. Or do you disbelieve every woman who says they have been abused because they are Democrats? Or because it happened a long time ago? Or it's not on tape? And as I mentioned, it makes no sense for this to make it up because Trump will just appoint another conservative justice.

7,269 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Not unreasonable to expose Ford for what she is. If Kavanaugh's background matters - so does hers.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:12 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,551,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
His memory will come back when the FBI talks to him. Like Jeff Sessions.
Not to mention the fact that the GOP refused to call him as a witness. Wonder why this was . . . . Oh yeah, because a letter, as everyone knows, is every bit as reliable as serving as an in-person witness. A lot safer, at least.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:13 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,886,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
exactly....Kathryn the past is a strange animal...we all have one
..Just remember, if any one little small thing in the past was changed...you wouldn't be the person you are today
Well, amen to this.

And I think there's a thin line between counseling and taking the time to sort through something and then move on - and sitting there contemplating our navels and allowing something in our past to completely dominate our present and future.

You know what's almost funny to me? Think about this - she wasn't even kissed. No bare flesh exposed on any party. No injuries. No rape. No bruises. No busted lip. She got away, even though she felt "physically dominated." I guess I'm just jaded or something because I grew up in the same era, went to parties that sound much the same as the one she says she attended, and frankly, if I had a dollar for every time some drunk teenage boy tried to feel me up (when I had been drinking as well, often was also wearing a bathing suit, was where I shouldn't have been with people I didn't know well, doing things I shouldn't have been doing, with no adults around and without my parents' knowledge - aka as high school teenage hormone driven behavior that was also common behavior), I could buy myself a nice pair of shoes.

Ironically, when I was actually raped, the event didn't involve any drugs or alcohol, no party, nothing. I thought I was just taking a friend to a friend's apartment to get a text book - in the middle of the day (first year of college). I was very naive I guess, because he said, "Why don't you come on in rather than waiting out in the car - I have to find the book and you can get something to drink," and I believed him, not knowing it was a set up.

Maybe this is why I'm so skeptical of the whole story - because I do feel like there's a difference between the two scenarios - teenagers drinking at a party vs. doing a favor for a casual friend in the middle of the day right before class. As the mother of both boys and girls (all grown now but at one point we had four teens under one roof!), I did talk to my kids about personal responsibility, responsible behavior, the dangers of drinking and partying, getting oneself into bad situations, the sad importance of being skeptical and cautious, etc. I even had a deal with my kids - if you call me when you feel over your head, if you ask me to come get you from WHATEVER situation you get into, you won't be punished by me. I'd rather you feel ok about calling me - we can work the details out later. And guess what - two of my kids, when they were older teens, DID call me and ask me to come get them, and they were both drunk when I picked them up. To their credit, they were also both OUT OF THE HOUSE where the party was going on, sitting on the curb waiting for me, even though it took me at least an hour to find one of them one time (long story). I was just grateful they called me and that they felt that was the better option than whatever was happening at the party.

Anyway, I feel like I had a whole lot more to work through and get past than one drunken grope at a party, and my feeling is that this one incident is not the ONLY incident that Dr. Ford has had to come to grips with - if she even has been able to come to grips with it. I do think she is probably a victim of sexual assault, but I don't believe this is the only incident and I also don't think she's presented any compelling evidence that this incident involved Kavanaugh. I think she has some pretty serious anxiety issues and I think there's a lot more to her story than this one incident she's describing.

7,269 posts, read 4,211,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicSmallHome View Post
You're not getting it: Before, it was just a letter sent from Judge's lawyer, but we are now dealing with an FBI investigation. Judge knows full well that if the FBI uncover evidence that he was, in fact, in that room, if he lies to them about it, he's toast.
Spit my coffee out laughing reading this one. Thanks for the laugh.

38,936 posts, read 23,887,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
The left was NEVER going to support anyone Donald Trump nominated. It just happened to be Kavanaugh that got burned at the stake.

As for his temperament, it's easy to for anyone to sit there and say they would've reacted differently, but I don't blame him a bit. I would've done the same.

The left and the media have crucified this guy without a shred of evidence, destroyed his reputation, and threatened his family based on the word of one unstable woman that can't remember what she had for breakfast, much less something that happened 36 years ago.

If that's all it takes to ruin a man then we are all in deep trouble.
After sitting and thinking about it, his defensive attitude I don't disagree with and would likely have a similar temperament myself in a similar situation. That said, I wouldn't say it is a right or left conspiracy to prevent me from being confirmed. I would also offer as concrete proof as possible because a calendar isn't. The reason being is I can say I'm going to the park on my calendar so I couldn't have done X and despite people covering me, from my many years seeing the various Law and Orders, I know it is not binding and can often be found to be false.

As for why I'm against Kavanaugh, it wasn't so much about Roe V. Wade. It actually is three things. One, his flip-flop on investigating a sitting President and his attack on Democrats make me believe he is very political (something that was a concern in his 2006 confirmation.) Two, I believe a President should be investigated if credible evidence is there and a lot is there. Three, I do think this is a claim we cannot delegitimize the way Republicans did. They had little to no consideration to the acquisition and the time limit last week despite the death threats show that. The Republicans wanted to ramrod the vote just to get a conservative and a partisan one at that on the highest court. The Republican Party in the last five years have sickened me to the point that despite specific local candidates which is low and that isn't at all due to Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies