Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 10:36 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,720,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I'm not lost in any weeds. A person bringing a serious accusation - of a crime no less - needs to be able to present SOME EVIDENCE other than just "her word." Except of course, now - that bar has been lowered to an alarmingly low place.

But you're right - I have no idea what vetting was done on Dr. Ford. All I know is that her social media was completely scrubbed by someone prior to the leaking of her letter.
Not sure I understand this reasoning...

How is it likely in cases where it's just her word against his that most women are going to be able to present "SOME EVIDENCE" other than their sworn testimony about what happened? Is this not the essence of the very difficult challenge when it comes to charges of sexual assault? First, you don't typically have much in the way of evidence, like ballistics for example, or witnesses, especially not well after the fact, and second, women don't really have much to gain from coming forward, and men have much to gain by denying any such charges, whether they are guilty or not.

So just how do we evaluate such a case without as much investigation as possible that might help provide SOME EVIDENCE beyond contradictory sworn testimony? I mean if we put our partisan blinders aside for a moment...

Old 09-30-2018, 10:36 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh the opportunities I've missed all my life. No telling who I could have had believe me, no telling who I could have brought accusations against, no telling how often I could have gotten even or accomplished goals if I'd known all I had to do was put on my Victim Princess Crown.

Not sure I can pull of the vocal fry thing though. And I'd hate to have to don those birth control glasses but if I did, I'd at least clean them.
To what purpose would you want to live your life in this manner? Do you imagine that this would have improved your life in any way, shape, or fashion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Naw, we're all still waiting for the PROOF that Kavanaugh committed perjury or sexually assaulted anyone.

I'm sure someone will get to the PROOF you're complaining about right after the first two requests are filled...

Given that this thread is filled with B.S. unproven accusations I wouldn't hold my breath that ANY will be proven...
Google boofing, devils triangle, and tell us IF you think being a 'Renate alumnus' is a compliment to Bart's good, good friend Renate. Good friend Renate just found out about all those 'renate alumnus' postings and she didn't find them very funny or as a term of endearment as Bart lied about on Thursday.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-30-2018 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: deleted quoted post

Old 09-30-2018, 10:40 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
OK, listen up, young ladies. If you ever go to a party, drink, hang out with other people who are drinking, and someone feels you up, you are now officially a victim of sexual assault. There doesn't have to be any witnesses, no injuries, no clothing removed, you don't have to tell anyone, not your best friend, not your parents, certainly not the police. Don't worry about any of that - you can come up decades later and make these assertions, and don't worry, no one will be allowed to question your motives, look at your past, speak against you in any way, because you have now donned the Victim Princess Crown and you are now a maligned saint.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Except (inconveniently) the post you quoted is spin and mischaracterization, not fact. Doesn't that bother you at all that it's B.S.?

I'm all in favor of nailing any politician for saying something they ACTUALLY said if warranted but twisting,spinning,misreporting what was actually said is,well, B.S..

Is that what you're about now or????
No, as I think my very next comment makes clear along with the rest. Hopefully so anyway...

Old 09-30-2018, 10:42 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
The Senate decided Ford was "credible" enough to testify; Kavanaugh wished to testify to clear his name. Whatever evidence (including the relative lack of it) to establish Ford's credibility prior to her testimony was or should have been assessed by the Senate, even though the Senate now is attempting to gather more.

Each American should be free to form their own opinion of Ford and Kavanaugh's veracity; no doubt the Senate vote will be political regardless of the personal opinion of specific Senators.

YouGov's most recent survey contacted 2,607 Americans between Sept. 27-28. Margin of error not available.

41 percent of Americans said that they "definitely" or "probably" believe Ford
35 percent, said that they "definitely" or "probably" believe Kavanaugh's testimony

When asked if they believed one side had lied at the hearing:
38 percent of respondents said Kavanaugh "probably" or "definitely" lied at some point during his testimony
30 percent said the same about Ford's testimony.

The results were split deeply among partisan lines, while independent voters were almost evenly split.

Thursday's hearing did not move American support or opposition to Kavanaugh, with numbers before and after the hearing about the same:
41 percent of Americans say Kavanaugh's nomination should be opposed, while 36 percent support it.

https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/...amatic-hearing

This was the first google hit; maybe there are other polls.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:44 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I don't get to vote on Kavanaugh, so what I think is immaterial. But here we have Senator Lindsay Graham, someone who does get a vote, broadcasting to the world that he doesn't care if the FBI turns up evidence of sexual assault against Kavanaugh, he's voting for him anyway.

Every woman in America needs to take note here. Even if there is evidence, the Trump Party doesn't care about sexual assault against women. That should concern everyone.
But you don't think.

That's the problem here. You merely burp out the Echo-Chamber garbage coming from the left, that Lindsey is voting Kavanaugh in even if they get 8mm video evidence of the Smoking Gun.

Y'all had your What If? moment and it failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
That's not what Graham said.
Of course not. They are grasping at straws like they always do, the same straws they are banning from us in California.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I don't think they're all brain dead Stepford wives.
Well, some of them... Maybe? They sure drive like Stepford wives sometimes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
You mean it is just an accusation? Her friend said she was told by Ford she had 54 sexual partners. Prove it's not true. Why don't they ask Ford?
54 partners by college? There would be a bump in contraception stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Trump is an absolute disgrace.

Graham is drama queen and a kook.

Kavenaugh is a liar, a crybaby, and a belligerent drunk.

We all can play this game. But what would be the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Can we poll every member of Congress, the people who work for the federal government, every member of the White House staff, and every member of the judiciary to see how many drink alcohol? I have a feeling it’s far more pervasive than you’d like. In fact, I bet Donald Trump is one of the few who don’t drink in Washington.
Poll everyone for "if they drink" or have a professional assess for if they are "alcoholics?"
10%.

10% are probably potential alky. Some abstain, some try. Another 10% are potential hard drinker, and 80%, neither. Same stat with teachers, airline pilots, school bus drivers, accounts, McDonald's employees etc.

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-30-2018 at 12:04 PM..

Old 09-30-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Not sure I understand this reasoning...

How is it likely in cases where it's just her word against his that most women are going to be able to present "SOME EVIDENCE" other than their sworn testimony about what happened? Is this not the essence of the very difficult challenge when it comes to charges of sexual assault? First, you don't typically have much in the way of evidence, like ballistics for example, or witnesses, especially not well after the fact, and second, women don't really have much to gain from coming forward, and men have much to gain by denying any such charges, whether they are guilty or not.

So just how do we evaluate such a case without as much investigation as possible that might help provide SOME EVIDENCE beyond contradictory sworn testimony? I mean if we put our partisan blinders aside for a moment...
She got to the party somehow. She allegedly was very upset when she left, and someone took her home because she doesn't claim to have walked home (6 to 8 miles, depending on where the mystery house was). She attended this party with her best friend, who she apparently left there with several drunk young men - most girls would tell their friend about such an assault at the least, and most wouldn't abandon their best friend in such an allegedly dangerous situation.

I don't know - when I was raped, I went to the police. I told my best friend. I told my parents.

When I was apparently "sexually assaulted" (though I didn't call it that or even think of it that way), I told my friends, "So and so is a jerk - watch yourself around him."

This cannot be simply "his word against hers" or all hell will break loose - no court of law would rely on such testimony without corroborating witnesses, evidence, etc. I realize that this isn't technically a court of law, that it's just the court of public opinion, just a job interview apparently, but you brought up ballistics and charges so I'm assuming that we're including court proceedings in our discussion.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:48 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
women don't really have much to gain from coming forward
Yet, Christine Ford went from being a nobody to a household name. Her gofundme account went over $500,000 in a matter of days.

I'm sure she will take that money and run. lol

Old 09-30-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
LOL. 45 out of 49 Dem Senators declared on July 8th they would stop Kavanaugh at all costs without hearing a word he said. And if the FBI investigation showed he was pure as snow, no Dem on the committee would change to supporting him.

You might want to check your Facebook feeds. What I see is opinions of women who are highly upset at this Democrat sham and destruction. Yes they are pizzed off but it won't be to support the Dem party.

Dems may regret stirring up women in this upcoming election. Yes many are upset.
Surprised?

One of the reasons people get "passionate" about who becomes POTUS is BECAUSE they tend to pick justices to the Supreme Court who seem to interpret the law as they prefer, commonly with respect to gay rights and abortion. When either side finds evidence that a judge leans one way or another, their way or the other, they will quickly declare their support (or not) regardless how "pure" they may be, and rightfully so!

After all, isn't this why so many Trump supporters believed it was so important to elect Trump? So he could appoint justices who leaned their way. Surprised? When these justices are appointed for life and vote on these "life and death" decisions for ALL Americans?

As for checking your facts, I think you are demonstrating a bit of bias yourself when you don't realize how so many women are not happy with this hearing, all the men doing the hearing, what too many of the men don't seem to be hearing, and why Kavanaugh is not the best pick -- for them -- whether he is "pure as the driven snow" or not. Certainly not if he is guilty of Ford's charges...

Old 09-30-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
To what purpose would you want to live your life in this manner? Do you imagine that this would have improved your life in any way, shape, or fashion?
I don't think that Dr. Ford has presented any evidence that she's lived any sort of life of misery - at least not misery directly tied to Brett Kavanaugh. But lots of people live lives of perpetual victimhood, misery, mental health issues and anguish, etc. I don't know what they get out of it but let's not pretend that everyone lives their lives in a healthy state of mind, even when they are outwardly successful.

I do think it's entirely possible to be used by other people and I also suspect that this whole fiasco has gotten more out of hand for her than she originally anticipated. But she ought to know how high the stakes are and how ruthless politicians are prepared to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies