Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 10:16 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times

Advertisements

This is not a case of Whataboutism, but rather a test of your own personal standards when it comes to the quest for truth.

How do you feel about Keith Ellison being accused of abuse last month? You know, the deputy chair of the Democratic Party? Not only is he being accused of abuse, but his accuser claims she has the incident on video.

Now. Do you automatically believe her, which means Ellison should resign forthwith? Do you want to see the evidence? Or do you think it's nothing more than a cynical attempt to undermine a ranking Democrat?

To me, if your answer deep down depends on how you vote, then you are part of the problem.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/karen-m...ut-2018-08-16/

Old 09-18-2018, 10:18 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
It is not rape. FFS

Sorry, I meant "attempted rape" rather than "alleged rape".

11,046 posts, read 5,270,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I wonder how many other women who had similar experiences with Kavanaugh, will be coming forward in the next few days.

none so far.....6 FBI background investigations and nothing.....but you liberals can keep praying !!!!

19,573 posts, read 8,518,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Sorry, I meant "attempted rape" rather than "alleged rape".

It wasn't attempted rape, either.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:19 AM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,229 times
Quote:
I wonder how many other women who had similar experiences with Kavanaugh, will be coming forward in the next few days.
It’s unusual for someone not to do this more than once. Let’s not forget too that Kavanaugh was single for 19 years after this, not meeting his wife until 2001. If this is a true depiction of his character there is almost zero doubt in those 19 years of dating women something likely occurred. I’m still of the belief he will withdraw by Friday. I don’t think it’ll be his choice either, it’ll either be forced by Trump or McConnell or maybe even his own wife.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:19 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
This is not a case of Whataboutism, but rather a test of your own personal standards when it comes to the quest for truth.

How do you feel about Keith Ellison being accused of abuse last month? You know, the deputy chair of the Democratic Party? Not only is he being accused of abuse, but his accuser claims she has the incident on video.

Now. Do you automatically believe her, which means Ellison should resign forthwith? Do you want to see the evidence? Or do you think it's nothing more than a cynical attempt to undermine a ranking Democrat?

To me, if your answer deep down depends on how you vote, then you are part of the problem.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/karen-m...ut-2018-08-16/

I've also brought this up and crickets....

But, he's a black dem and hates trump, so he gets a pass....

Old 09-18-2018, 10:26 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Who knows if Grassley is even sending his emails to the right address.

Does the man not have a phone?

Regardless, it would be hard for her and her attorney to have not seen the news. Everyone here is aware of her being invited.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:27 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,037,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I've also brought this up and crickets....

But, he's a black dem and hates trump, so he gets a pass....

And that's the problem with binary thinking. People find themselves far more beholden to party and ideology rather than standards of conduct. If their guy does it, they ignore it or circle the wagons. If the other side's guy does it, the lynch mob forms. I mean, all you had to do is look at how readily Democrats demonized Bill Clinton's accusers. As someone who votes Democratic more often than not, I found it appalling.

My wife is pretty liberal. She's a successful professional, the CFO of her company. She wouldn't put up with anything approaching sexual impropriety or, worse, assault, for a skinny minute. Woe be unto the man who tried.

But even she points out the problems here.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:30 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Actually, I do get it.

But as a woman, I have learned not to put myself in a vulnerable position with a man. And when I interact with any man, I learn to speak in a way that can't be construed as a flirt or a come-on. I also dress appropriate for the situation. If I am at work, I don't dress sexy either.

Sounds like victim blaming to me. It's not about appropriate dress - if so, why would 83 year old women and nuns get raped?

Pffft. It's about power. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
If "more do not report rape than do" then how would you know that they didn't or that it even happened?

Let's hope things haven't changed so much than a vague accusation with little to no facts to back them up destroy someone. Of course unless YOU want to be subject to those same rules?
Do some research on the subject and then you can speak intelligently about the matter

Republicans were SCREAMING for Al Franken to lose his job over a much less serious allegations.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Who knows if Grassley is even sending his emails to the right address.

Does the man not have a phone?
Someone probably has to show him how to use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
I do. The Democrats in states that Trump won will be signing their political death warrants if they vote against Kavanaugh. This stunt makes that more likely, not less, because this is going to stimulate higher Republican turnout in those states.

Here are the Senate Democrats up for election in states that Trump won in 2016, who will be under some pressure to vote to confirm Brett Kavanaugh:

1. Joe Manchin (D-W.Va.)
2. Heidi Heitkamp (D-N.D.)
3. Joe Donnelly (D-Ind.)
4. Bill Nelson (D-Fla.)
5. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.)
6. Jon Tester (D-Mont.)
7. Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio)
8. Bob Casey (D-Pa.)
9. Tammy Baldwin (D-Wis.)

And also:
10. Doug Jones (D-Al.)(Up for election in 2020)

If they all vote to confirm, that will be 61 votes in favor and 39 opposed. At a bare minimum, Heitkamp, Manchin and Donelly will almost assuredly vote to confirm. I think a number of the others will also, but at this moment, it is likely that a number of them do not know for sure how they will vote themselves.

And this latest stunt is going to turn up the heat on these Democrat Senators like never before.
I can assure you that Sherrod Brown isn't voting to confirm this nominee. Doug Jones is starting to sound 'iffy'.

Quote:
The Biden rule should be followed. Let the people decide through their vote during the midterm elections. After all, it is the Senate that votes for the nominee. Agreed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
As you know very well, the Biden rule only applies to the lame duck year at the end of a president's term. It does not apply to the midterms and literally never has.
There is no Biden rule. Mitch McConnell made it up so it could really apply to just about anything . . .

Old 09-18-2018, 10:36 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,096,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Sounds like victim blaming to me. It's not about appropriate dress - if so, why would 83 year old women and nuns get raped?

Pffft. It's about power. Period.

Do some research on the subject and then you can speak intelligently about the matter

Republicans were SCREAMING for Al Franken to lose his job over a much less serious allegations.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

Someone probably has to show him how to use it.

I can assure you that Sherrod Brown isn't voting to confirm this nominee. Doug Jones is starting to sound 'iffy'.

There is no Biden rule. Mitch McConnell made it up so it could really apply to just about anything . . .

Al franken didn’t have to quit. He could have stayed if he wanted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies