Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 08:25 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,262,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Taking Obama’s 2016 Supreme Court Justice nomination would be evil, everything else pales by comparison. But don’t worry, even if Kavanaugh fails Trump will get his selection unless the democrats take back the senate and claim there can be no nominations within 2 years of an election.
Even if the Dems take back the Senate which is very unlikely, they still can't stop another nominee from being voted on before the new Senate is sworn in. Wait for it......Dems are going to wish they had agreed on Kanvanaugh before this is over. Repubs will have nothing to lose at that point because the mid terms will be behind them.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:26 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Taking Obama’s 2016 Supreme Court Justice nomination would be evil, everything else pales by comparison. But don’t worry, even if Kavanaugh fails Trump will get his selection unless the democrats take back the senate and claim there can be no nominations within 2 years of an election.
Please.

Liberals are the ones who have said "white males - old white males" by their being born of their species are some how evil. Only liberals would dare make something/someone like my father who was the most perfect human example I ever knew, bad. Only liberals would stomp on him like that and do it with a straight face.

Despicable. Liberals are the ones who have embraced this "diversity" filth as if there is some sort of good in any of it. Vile. Trash. Evil. Despicable.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:27 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,435,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Maybe she didn't sexually harass anyone
But that doesn't mean there is no dirt---
Personally I think she is so religious that she allows her religious beliefs to interfere with her judicial interpretations
You would not want someone with a Muslim background and belief in Sharia law sitting on the Supreme Court, I imagine, because you would fear that the belief in Sharia law might superceeded American jurisprudence
That is kind of how I feel about Amy Barrett--
She is "too Catholic" if it is possible to be such
And that is one thing about Kavanaugh that no one has talked about--but I think that is part of the reason he is so against Roe vs Wade--
It is not "conservative" thinking--it is religious thinking
And the Constitution itself requires separation of church and state
That means you can believe anything you want, practice your church's precepts, but you cannot use those precepts to decide/interpret the law in our courts...
The Supreme Court should represent the Country it serves. So far it represents white male Republicans.
There in lies the problem.

The same problem that lies in Trump Republica. They do not represent America. They represent themselves and a minority of elite that probobly spend less then half their life on American soil.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Oh boy, Avenatti is involved now. He has NEVER made a threat where he didn't have the goods to back it up.
I agree that Avanatti has always managed to bring the proof...
It wouldn't surprise me if someone doesn't have some very grainy home-made movies of some of these events...

As to the first part of that first statement--
Mark Judge's books pretty much confirm that there was plenty of sex and plenty of drinking going on at these house parties...

I would think those doing some investigating would be talking to some of the former teachers
One party I read they gave was a drinking party for a teacher's birthday (underage students doing that BTW)
Think how well THAT would go over today...
Think Kavanaugh would want his daughters going to the kinds of parties he threw in his prep days???

Old 09-23-2018, 08:29 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Apparently it's OK to dig into Christine Ford's past but not golden-boy Kavanaugh's...

"In his answers during the practice runs...Kavanaugh grew frustrated when it came to questions that dug into his private life, particularly his drinking habits and his sexual proclivities, according to three people familiar with the preparations, who requested anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. He declined to answer some questions altogether, saying they were too personal, these people said.

“I’m not going to answer that,” Kavanaugh said at one point according to a senior White House official, who said that the questions were designed to go over the line and that he struck the right tone.
Your first sentence says something, and the rest of the comment is COMPLETELY UNRELATED to what the first sentence says.

It doesn't even allege anyone is employing double standards.

I can dig into anything I want, and so can you, and what you or I or Kavanaugh says has nothing to do with it.

And his statement about his past has NOTHING TO DO with Ford. There's no hypocrisy; he didn't say, "If you want some good stories, there was total **** at Holton-Arms you should question."

Old 09-23-2018, 08:33 PM

18,560 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
You mean like when many conservatives called Obama a Muslim terrorist?
You mean like when many conservatives called Michelle Obama an ape in high heels?
You mean like when Trump lead the movement to question Obama's birth certificate?
You mean like when Trump trashed Sen. McCain's POW service?
You mean like when conservatives trashed Sen. Kerry's military service?

You mean like that personal destruction?
None of those things are related to "personal destruction". They're lies, mistakes, insults, or facts. Learn the language before participating, please.

Old 09-23-2018, 08:33 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,435,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Please.

Liberals are the ones who have said "white males - old white males" by their being born of their species are some how evil. Only liberals would dare make something/someone like my father who was the most perfect human example I ever knew, bad. Only liberals would stomp on him like that and do it with a straight face.

Despicable. Liberals are the ones who have embraced this "diversity" filth as if there is some sort of good in any of it. Vile. Trash. Evil. Despicable.
yikes

Old 09-23-2018, 08:34 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,513,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Even if the Dems take back the Senate which is very unlikely, they still can't stop another nominee from being voted on before the new Senate is sworn in. Wait for it......Dems are going to wish they had agreed on Kanvanaugh before this is over. Repubs will have nothing to lose at that point because the mid terms will be behind them.
If the Republicans give in on Kavanaugh, the smear campaigns on the next nominee will be twice as bad. It does not matter who that nominee is. Do you really not know that?

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
The Supreme Court should represent the Country it serves. So far it represents white male Republicans.
There in lies the problem.

The same problem that lies in Trump Republica. They do not represent America. They represent themselves and a minority of elite that probobly spend less then half their life on American soil.
I don't have a problem with any justice taking the oath IF that person represents the Constitutions and starie decisis...Sotomayor is certainly not a white Republican--but she is a minority on the Court
Ginsberg was a moderate initially be appointments after hers made her views more left of center now but she is not that liberal--view her statement about Kappernick's taking a knee protest
Ginsberg doesn't show him the same respect that she wanted for women going to VMI...

Scalia wanted to move back to the 1700s when it SUITED him--
Jefferson was more forward thinking than Scalia==who allowed his Catholic faith to inform some of his decisions
The framers of the Constitution would never have approved Citizens' United--
No corporation would have been granted the rights of a person--
That would have been untenable to the Founding Fathers
But it certainly suited Scalia and his merry band because of who they hang with...

57,232 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't disagree but the republicans will have something to lose in the midterms as this plays out, this is a fight that they don't need coming into November.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies