Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 11:00 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
The existing Congress remains in power after the elections, until the new Congress is convened on January 3rd. That gives them almost 60 days after the elections.
True. Sixty days on top of the next six weeks should be sufficient to get this settled one way or another.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:02 AM

19,636 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
That's the bottom line here. This whole issue makes the assumption that women are so weak and emotionally frail that the slightest action that makes them uncomfortable destroys them for life. As a woman, that offends me. And I am most angry at the women that perpetuate this myth. Because all the strides we've made for the last 35 years have gone downhill in the last 2 years.

I'm not talking about actual assault. I'm talking about drunken teens stepping over a line. I'm talking about dumb kids doing dumb things, of both sexes.

IF this happened as it said she did (which I don't believe for a moment), she was not raped, she was not hit, she was able to fend off the boy.

I grew up during that time, and I was caught in a few situations like that. The boy left knowing in no uncertain terms that it was inappropriate and wouldn't be tolerated again. I had a friend's roommate in college expose himself to me once. After laughing at the situation, I moved on with my life.

Why?

Because I'm not a weak woman. I can handle the jerks of the world just fine. I can take care of myself. I can work in a man's industry and not be held down. I am not a victim, because I choose not to be. Honestly, if what Ford is saying is true, this one incident scarred her for life. It should not have. No, many women are not that strong. But we should be. Unless you are actually sexually abused, deal with it.
Who are you to tell someone how to feel? You don't know anything about this woman.

Furthermore I doubt you have been in that situation, with two guys locking you in a room while you are trying to scream and being smothered. She only got away because the other drunken dolt knocked him off.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:03 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,225,564 times
It could just be some other guy that looks like him or that was also named Brett (or Kavanaugh). In the haze of a 36 year old memory, can anyone remember what someone looked like or what some random person at a party was named? It isn't like Brett is an unusual name. Frat boys all tended to look/dress alike.

17,077 posts, read 13,369,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
This has nothing to do with Kavanaugh but I'll bite.

Two teens drinking and having sex......done all the time. Should a drunk teen boy be expected to have any more discretionary thinking ability than a drunk teen girl?
Wait. Where have I heard this before? Oh, yes, my hometown's favorite sexual offender of privilege, Brock Turner.

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
How many of these posters that are anti-Ford and Ramirez have daughters or any children?
I think probably none of them
Because their almost pathological distrust of women comes through in their posts
Their expecting perfection from any woman or girl who would find herself in situation similar to Ford's--the requirement to use exactly the right response, to be perfectly poised in making the right decision at the right time, to emerge like Wonder Woman using her magic bracelets to ward off the dangers coming her way...

And I think it would be unlikely that a father would really show that animosity considering the fact that a 15 year old girl COULD be taken advantage of and yet not tell anyone about it for decades...

I am a parent--my daugher now is close to 40--and I think we have a good relationship but I know most things she keeps to herself like any adult does but sometimes she does need someone to share hard times or happy times and she talks to us
We worked for years when she was small up through her teens and young adult life trying to treat her with respect, tried never to lie to her or have her lie to us, to set reasonable boundaries but encourage her to think for herself and take responsibility...

So as a parent who worked hard to be there for my daughter and to have her trust me,
it would make me very sad-- to know that my daughter had that happen to her and didn't want Me to have a bad opinion of her judgement or her behavior in getting into such a dangerous and tawdry situation that she would not want to tell us--her parents...when she had something so traumatic happen to her...

So I just wonder how all these posters would react if they discovered their sister or their mom or their daughter or even their son (because it certainly can happen to guys) had something similar happen to them...and they kept it to themselves...
Would you believe them?
You are spot on! It's very clear that many of these posters have little respect for women and zero understanding about the effect of sexual assault on a girl or woman. They are the exact people who keep women silent. It's quite sad and pathetic. Unfortunately, many do probably have daughters. I have no problem with anyone wanting to get more information from the accusers before deciding either way but that isn't going to happen overnight.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:06 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Who are you to tell someone how to feel? You don't know anything about this woman.

Furthermore I doubt you have been in that situation, with two guys locking you in a room while you are trying to scream and being smothered. She only got away because the other drunken dolt knocked him off.
This is nothing. Really. You are a snowflake.

Old 09-25-2018, 11:06 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,396,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I think he was a stupid teen. However, the college deal...remember this much. People that age are shooting machine guns, flying 2 BILLION dollar planes and dropping bombs. Some have murdered large numbers of innocent civilians (cases from Iraq and Afghanistan).

Should these people also be appointed to the highest court in the land for life? Or....could we perhaps find someone a little better among the 300 Million....
Did you just write that people who serve in the military are somehow inferior to others and shouldn't be trusted with important jobs because someone "better" could fill them?

Old 09-25-2018, 11:09 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post

So, this is 100% verifiable now...WOW...link....or is this just the "girl is always right, even if she cannot back herself up, including the witnesses not backing her story" defense.....

Old 09-25-2018, 11:09 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
You are spot on! It's very clear that many of these posters have little respect for women and zero understanding about the effect of sexual assault on a girl or woman. They are the exact people who keep women silent. It's quite sad and pathetic. Unfortunately, many do probably have daughters. I have no problem with anyone wanting to get more information from the accusers before deciding either way but that isn't going to happen overnight.
Hmm.

Mash123: I think that Ford has no evidence and we cannot ruin a great career because she said so.

Libs and feminists: Mash123 hates women He hurts our feewwwwweengs, reeeee!

Old 09-25-2018, 11:10 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,703,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chatterboxx- View Post
Now some posters are trying to justify teen drinking and rape culture of the 80s. I’m out. Best of luck with this cesspool. These are not good people. Very sick, demented human beings who put political affiliation over all else.
It's not just the 80s.
Many of the same people try to justify it as it happens now.

As horrible as it is to accept, the election of Donald Trump has exposed the really ugly under-belly of this country. People who used to be all about how immoral is Bill Clinton will seemingly defend anything if Trump and/or one of his minions is involved.
Worst thing about it, is that many are the same people who believe that the Ten Commandments should be posted in every public square.

At least now we know that they are out there.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies