Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 01:25 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times

Advertisements

I have a nephew that was born with one eye.
I have a sister in law who was adopted and had to have three major surgeries before 10 years old.
I have had three kids in Canada.
My Dad had Type 2 Diabetes and was not a well man.\
In the last 7 years my mom was diagnosed and treated for cancer. She also suffered a massive stroke.
My father in law and mother in law (divorced from each other and remarried) both suffer from Alzheimers.
Broken bones, asthma, burns.....blah blah blah -- and that's just our close family -- lol.......

They all have gotten great care. None of them had to wait for services or tratment.

There are horrors stories in Canada.
There are horror stories in the USA

Neither system is perfect.

I don't recommend the Canadian system for Americans
And don't even think that Canadians want an American style system -- in spite of all of them flocking to the USA (sarcasm).

The American system needs to be improved. It just does. And it isn't going to happen with folks just trying to tear down other countries' health care systems.

It's the age old argument, it's useless and it doesn't fix anything.

Usually when someone cites a Canadian horror story to support whatever system they want for American health care I know they don't really have an idea of how to fix the USA system and think just by trashing the Canadian one somehow it justifies doing nothing in the USA.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
that is why many close to the border will travel to the US for treatments. They can see a doctor here, quite often quicker than in Canada and they can choose to pay out of their pockets.
You know that's a myth right?

You know that only .15% of Canadians traveled to the USA in 2014 for medical services of any kind and that includes those sent by the provincial health care provider.

It just doesn't work that way. It doesn't.

Beginning of June I was in Canada. Had to get a chest x-ray and updated shots for my Mom. Was driving by the doctor's office and dropped in -- yup -- we were out in 15 minutes...a couple of updated shots, and the requisition for the chest x-ray. Dropped over to the clinic for the chest x-ray and was in and out in 15 minutes -- including checking in at the desk.

That's my Canadian experience.

Forgot how much that cost me -- zero, nada, nothing.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:31 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
When my son was born, the total cost to me was two signatures. One checking into the hospital, the other when we left. And they gave us a baby to go!

Old 08-27-2018, 01:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I was in the Toronto area until 1997. Had three babies....sick parents, know hundreds and hundreds of peole that don't have health care stories.

I'm not buying it.

Especially in the 90's....lol.
you don't have to buy it, but I too can recite some stories I have heard from people who are Canadians and have very unfavorable stories to tell about socialized medicine. there are good things to say, I am sure; no plan is all bad or all good, but for those of you who think the Canadian plan is all wonderful with easy access to all doctors and tests you do not know what you are talking about

Old 08-27-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
When my son was born, the total cost to me was two signatures. One checking into the hospital, the other when we left. And they gave us a baby to go!
First baby in 1988 -- they gave me supplies -- formula, diapers, stuff for me....
Second baby in 1990 -- meh a few diapers -- some formula
Third baby in 1997 -- no diapers or formula -- sigh......LOL

I did have to pay for the phone in my room but the supplemental insurance from my husband's employer covered that -- so we were reimbursed.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:39 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
First baby in 1988 -- they gave me supplies -- formula, diapers, stuff for me....
Second baby in 1990 -- meh a few diapers -- some formula
Third baby in 1997 -- no diapers or formula -- sigh......LOL

I did have to pay for the phone in my room but the supplemental insurance from my husband's employer covered that -- so we were reimbursed.
We actually did ok, but we were in my wife's hometown, where the hospital is a lot smaller, and nowhere near as busy.

Old 08-27-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you don't have to buy it, but I too can recite some stories I have heard from people who are Canadians and have very unfavorable stories to tell about socialized medicine. there are good things to say, I am sure; no plan is all bad or all good, but for those of you who think the Canadian plan is all wonderful with easy access to all doctors and tests you do not know what you are talking about
I am a Canadian who lived there until I was 38. Have lived in the USA for 21 years.

I think my experience with both systems trumps yours...lol.

Now I'm just having fun.

And if you read the thread you'll see that I said both system have their horror stories.

But trying to justify doing nothing about the horror story that exists in the USA by trying to trash the Canadian system is futile and ridiculous.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:23 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Compare the population of Canada to the United States. Canada is a micro country in comparison. At some point all the "free" stuff, that Canadians get including healthcare will become too expensive to maintain, and either taxes will get even more prohibitive, and/or healthcare will be severely rationed.
Nonsense.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:38 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,407,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Neither is our health care, and nobody here said it was...What's your point?

Comparing Universal Health to fire and police protection cost is a straw man argument.

Old 08-27-2018, 02:52 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,667,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rantiquity View Post
Comparing Universal Health to fire and police protection cost is a straw man argument.
Why? - what does it matter to me if your house catches on fire, or someone tries to rob you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies