Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2018, 05:40 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well maybe you can explain how Canada has a higher percentage of it's population "foreign born" than the U.S. then.

https://www.cicnews.com/2017/10/immi...tml#gs.GKR9TFE

While the U.S. is still below 15%
I don't have to explain anything. Read their immigration webpage. It tells you everything you want to know about whom they allow into their country.

Take their questionnaire. This is what you will likely get if you answer the questions honestly about yourself and state that you want to move to Canada permanently and find a job: Based on your answers, you do not appear to be eligible. (that is, unless you have some heavy-duty skills in a critical field which is in shortage within Canada)

Old 08-25-2018, 05:42 PM

4,253 posts, read 3,173,683 times
I like Canada, I just got back from Alberta and over the years I've spent a lot of time in several of the provinces. That said, in the not to distant past, nearly all the Canadian engineers that worked for me wanted to come to the US! I found this somewhat odd but there were a few common reasons....weather, pay, high taxes and contrary to what many believe, they weren't exactly fond of the healthcare system (good place to be if you are healthy or dying, inbetween not so much).

Old 08-25-2018, 05:44 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
I like Canada, I just got back from Alberta and over the years I've spent a lot of time in several of the provinces. That said, in the not to distant past, nearly all the Canadian engineers that worked for me wanted to come to the US! I found this somewhat odd but there were a few common reasons....weather, pay, high taxes and contrary to what many believe, they weren't exactly fond of the healthcare system (good place to be if you are healthy or dying, inbetween not so much).
Out west has issues with health care I guess. And taxes depend on where you live. It's like comparing taxes in New Jersey with taxes in South Carolina - you can't.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:47 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,645,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Few years old but Canada is much better than the US

Just few: Much safer, less corrupt, lower crime rate, lower obesity rate, universal healthcare, cheap college tuition, generous paid parental leave, paid days off, using metric system, cleaner cities, less poverty, higher life expectancy, better food quality, its biggest cities more affordable than our biggest cities to live, better social safety net, better world reputation, better immigration system, etc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mac...-canadian/amp/
Just thinking outside the box a little here, but do you think that might have something to do with them having only around 11% of our population? The US is sitting right at 330 million citizens, while Canada has a whooping 36 million. Seems like it would be a lot easier to manage your population and meet all of their needs if there were simply a lot less of them. The more people there are, the more problems there are, period. Just saying, if their population doubled to 72 million, you'd see a proportionate change in crime, poverty, etc. And if they one day hit 330 million, I can guarantee their social systems, as they exist today, will have been shut down long ago or be in complete disrepair. And I would further guarantee the crime rate would most likely be on par with our own. Because, like I said, more people equals more problems.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:51 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Look I love Canada but I think these rankings are silly.

Fun to trigger Trump fans for some reason. They hate to think that any other country that might do things differently might be a great place to live.

But it is silly.

USA is a great country, Canada is a great country -- end of story.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:02 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,596,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Few years old but Canada is much better than the US

Just few: Much safer, less corrupt, lower crime rate, lower obesity rate, universal healthcare, cheap college tuition, generous paid parental leave, paid days off, using metric system, cleaner cities, less poverty, higher life expectancy, better food quality, its biggest cities more affordable than our biggest cities to live, better social safety net, better world reputation, better immigration system, etc.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mac...-canadian/amp/

you haven't left yet?

Old 08-25-2018, 06:12 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
So go there. You may have a rough time, though. They do have a pretty stiff immigration policy, especially for "yankees."

As for the weather, I'd take Canada's over where I'm at any time. I'm so sick of this hot bull**** this summer I could move to Greenland. Give me the cold. A place where you never take that warm coat off.
I developed a similar dislike for the heat when growing up in St Pete fla, some years ago i immigrated to Canada and have been happy ever since.yeah it gets cold in the winter but our homes/cars and work places are heated and we wear appropriate clothing for the weather. Cold? bring it.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:13 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
What are you waiting for??? Move already.
At that point the OP will discover that Canada has tougher demands for legal immigration than we do.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:15 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,098,118 times
The medical care in Canada is inferior on every metric to the United States except payments. Now, given your health, do you really want to live in a country where there is a line for necessary treatments?

Old 08-25-2018, 06:16 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I developed a similar dislike for the heat when growing up in St Pete fla, some years ago i immigrated to Canada and have been happy ever since.yeah it gets cold in the winter but our homes/cars and work places are heated and we wear appropriate clothing for the weather. Cold? bring it.
Yep, that's the way I look at it. If I'm overheated, nothing I can do about it besides sweat. If I'm cold, I know what a coat is for and I know what a heater in a home and car does. Nothing more beautiful than a clear, crisp winter morning at about 20 degrees. Great jogging weather (with appropriate clothing, of course). Someday, I'm either going to northeastern North Dakota, UP Michigan on the north shore, or northern Maine (brush up on my French ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies