Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2018, 05:37 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times

Advertisements

Whenever Republicans praise Trump there's little they can say, other than to mention financial aspects, like the stock market. After all, he's been dismal, even downright dangerous, on almost every other front - civil rights, environmental issues, and so on

But check out this article, and especially the graph:

Bull Market Hits 3,453 Days. Gusher Flows Past Most Americans
By Matthew Phillips
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/22/b...et-stocks.html

Apart from the fact that the headline points out that most Americans are not benefiting - look at the graph. I'm sure you know that there are a lot of ways to mislead with statistics, and one way is to look at a short time-span. But this one covers a long time-span.

This graph shows that ever since the mid-1940s, America has been in an overall upward trajectory, and even after the brief dip around 2008 from Bush's recession, Obama quickly pulled us out. The point where the upward trend starts to become steeper is under Carter!

In other words, with Trump in the White House, it's only continuing on in the same path as the last 70 years, with NOTHING special due to Trump, and likely unrelated to him at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 05:43 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
You mean if I row along with the current, Ill look like Im working hard while barely breaking a sweat?

Old 08-27-2018, 05:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
its much more than the stock market you know. consumer confidence is up, businesses are expanding, small businesses are opening up, the unemployment rate across the board is way down, trade deals are being renegotiated to benefit everyone, not just the countries we helped rebuild after world war two.

once again i admonish you that you need to lift the veil of hate from your eyes and look around. once you do you may still not like trump, but you will start giving him the respect he deserves.

Old 08-27-2018, 05:49 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Whenever Republicans praise Trump there's little they can say, other than to mention financial aspects, like the stock market. After all, he's been dismal, even downright dangerous, on almost every other front - civil rights, environmental issues, and so on

By Matthew Phillips

Apart from the fact that the headline points out that most Americans are not benefiting - look at the graph. I'm sure you know that there are a lot of ways to mislead with statistics, and one way is to look at a short time-span. But this one covers a long time-span.

This graph shows that ever since the mid-1940s, America has been in an overall upward trajectory, and even after the brief dip around 2008 from Bush's recession, Obama quickly pulled us out. The point where the upward trend starts to become steeper is under Carter!

In other words, with Trump in the White House, it's only continuing on in the same path as the last 70 years, with NOTHING special due to Trump, and likely unrelated to him at all.
So do you think Trump should resign ?

Old 08-27-2018, 06:02 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

By Matthew Phillips

The confidence in the economy is everywhere. I speak to companies often during the course of my job and my day, as well as professionals in creative and marketing looking for jobs.

The economy is booming. A lot of companies that have not hired creative and marketing talent in several years--are hiring now. I spoke to a potential client in Atlanta earlier today and she said their business has seen the largest year over year growth (furniture biz) in a decade. There are so many jobs in so many areas that companies have a hard time finding people.

People are much more willing to leave comfy long term jobs now because it is easier to find one, due to the strong economy.

It's the huge secret most democrats don't want to acknowledge, because they are benefitting too.

Trump is definitely having a huge hand in confidence here of everyday Americans. Some of these democrats need to drop this constant hate rhetoric on Trump and look around to see that he really has America's best interest in mind, and is doing really good things for this country.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:05 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,536,978 times
If the economy is booming now, then it was also booming under Obama, because Trump's economic numbers have basically been the same as Obama's.

Old 08-27-2018, 06:05 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
So do you think Trump should resign ?
WOW that's some interesting logic!

Old 08-27-2018, 06:06 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Hooray for clueless threads!

Old 08-27-2018, 06:19 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,142,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
its much more than the stock market you know. consumer confidence is up, businesses are expanding, small businesses are opening up, the unemployment rate across the board is way down, trade deals are being renegotiated to benefit everyone, not just the countries we helped rebuild after world war two.

once again i admonish you that you need to lift the veil of hate from your eyes and look around. once you do you may still not like trump, but you will start giving him the respect he deserves.
Excuse me, but consumer confidence is based on wildly subjective feelings, businesses often make decisions based on the stock market, and unemployment statistics have been suspect for the last dozen or more years, as it was theorized that people have simply stopped looking for work.

And while my opinion of the economy may change, no man who tolerates white supremacists, who gleefully brags about grabbing women's genitalia, who insults his own A.G. and F.B.I. head, who advocates jailing/executing his opponents, who alienates our traditional allies while cozying up to authoritarian regimes, and who debases the presidency to enrich himself, deserves my respect, now or ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies