Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2018, 10:33 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Offer food to vagrant in my area and he will throw it into the street and curse you. They want money for drugs.
Here in San Francisco, land of the disgusting aggressive hobos with libbie-fuelled entitlement complexes (for the slow, please note that this is sarcasm), I give food to homeless people all the time and most are gracious in accepting it. I like to give them bananas because they're filling, nutritious, promote a good mood, and easy on the teeth (sadly an issue with many of them).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2018, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
My God, who the he&& wants to control a person feeding a hungry person? That is insane.
Money-hungry local governments. If only it was illegal to "feed" *them*...

Old 08-27-2018, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I've seen what happens when people feed wild animals that should be able to fend for themselves as their nature dictates. They congregate on the person feeding them, become aggressive demanding food, the dependant population becomes larger and larger, and they crap all over the place. Worse, disease becomes rampant in the population, any plants are overgrazed/browsed and destroyed to the point that the place where this happens becomes unusable and dangerous.

I've been to Skid Row in LA-where precisely the same thing happens with human beings. Enabling the homeless, with a few exceptions, does them no good-in fact precisely the opposite. They learn NOT go go elsewhere where they might be able to find an affordable place to live, to get a job, to BE human beings. Instead they learn that they can be useless, fry their brains and bodies on drugs, and still get handouts and a place to live.
"Just get a job"

That's not an easy thing for most people even in ideal circumstances.

You're really going to expect someone to do that who has no place to rest, no decent clothes to interview in, no mobile phone, no reliable internet access, no computer, no means to print their resume, no phone number, no permanent address, etc.

Why not go up to someone in a wheelchair, give them a good kick, and bark at them to go run a marathon while you're at it.

Rather than dehumanizing people who were dealt a much worse hand than you, why not be grateful for what you've been blessed with and not throw a hissy fit that people can actually choose to (god forbid) help others in need if they want to.

Old 08-27-2018, 10:42 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Freedom of association. Freedom of voluntary exchanges.

I got it at birth. Didn't need a fictional entity to rule on it.

F the State.
Yeah, I agree, people SHOULD have chosen to simply not comply with this law when it was in effect. Thats our duty as Americans, we should never ever obey or comply with an unconstitutional law.

Old 08-28-2018, 03:02 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
"Just get a job"

That's not an easy thing for most people even in ideal circumstances.

You're really going to expect someone to do that who has no place to rest, no decent clothes to interview in, no mobile phone, no reliable internet access, no computer, no means to print their resume, no phone number, no permanent address, etc.

Why not go up to someone in a wheelchair, give them a good kick, and bark at them to go run a marathon while you're at it.

Rather than dehumanizing people who were dealt a much worse hand than you, why not be grateful for what you've been blessed with and not throw a hissy fit that people can actually choose to (god forbid) help others in need if they want to.
Wild applause!

Old 08-28-2018, 03:27 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Offer food to vagrant in my area and he will throw it into the street and curse you. They want money for drugs.
I have given food to homeless people, and have never had this happen. One time especially stands out in my mind. I went into a store, a Big Lots, I think it was, and on my way in, I noticed a man with a backpack and sleeping roll sitting on a nearby sidewalk with his dog. He had a regular little campsite where he stayed, and was just resting on his way back there. It was a very hot day, and I could see that he and the dog were both suffering, and was particularly worried about the dog's heavy panting. When I finished my own shopping, I bought some things for him: food he could eat without much preparation, like bread and tuna and peanut butter, a couple gallons of water, and a bag of food and bowl so his dog could have a drink, too. I sat down on the pavement with him and we talked for a while. He asked how I knew what kind of things he could use - had I once lived on the street? I told him no, I just got things that made sense to me for a person with no kitchen. He was very grateful for the food and water, and that my concern for him extended to his best friend, but I think most of all he was happy to have someone recognize his humanity.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:27 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
I’ve never had a homeless person reject my gifts either. The young family I gifted a bag of groceries once still haunts me. I need a job, he said, panic and pain in his voice. I would give you one if I had one, I said. A totally inadequate response.

Night coming on, two small children...

Old 08-28-2018, 08:23 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Many homeless are 'services resistant.' They like living on the street, panhandling, no responsibilities, hanging out and drinking with their friends. This type of person has been around forever. They used to be called hoboes.

The mentally ill are a different case. They need to be locked up for their own and the public's safety

Old 08-29-2018, 04:33 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,593,334 times
Quote:
Many homeless are 'services resistant.' They like living on the street, panhandling, no responsibilities, hanging out and drinking with their friends. This type of person has been around forever. They used to be called hoboes.

The mentally ill are a different case. They need to be locked up for their own and the public's safety
The Dust Bowl And Hobos
Quote:
During the Great Depression, millions of unemployed men became “hobos,” homeless vagrants who wandered in search of work.

Once-proud men, the hobos rode the rails or hitchhiked their way across America, in search of jobs and a better life.
And today ...
Homeless Millennials Are Transforming Hobo Culture
Quote:
“People say, ‘Well, you chose to become homeless.’ But that’s wrong,” he says. Huck says he’s been a hobo for upward of 11 years and started hopping trains and hitching rides at 18. “I did not choose to become homeless. If you want to say I chose to become homeless and sleep on the streets, really all I have to say is f--k you. You’ve never experienced it.”
But then ...
Life on the Road as a Millennial Hobo
Quote:
And yet I was in a hurry, and it wasn’t because I hate my home, or my family. It was just the itch. You know the itch. You wake up every day in a climate-controlled box, then you get into another box to go to work, then you sit in a third box all day just so you can afford bigger boxes and fancy crap to put in those boxes. Somewhere inside all those boxes, you get the itch to blow it all up. Leave everything behind. Live in the m-f--kin’ moment. Like Kerouac did, or Cheryl Strayed, or those people in those Expedia ads.
There is a video at the end of the article on the page:
"Homeless in New York: The Other Millennials"
I found another interesting piece on Hobos
Still Riding the Rails: Life as a Modern Hobo
Quote:
The Original Hobos

Very few people ride the rails full-time nowadays. In an ABC News story from 2000, the president of the National Hobo Association put the figure at 20-30, allowing that another 2,000 might ride part-time or for recreation.

That's a far cry from what it used to be. The very first American hobos were cast-offs from the American Civil War of the 1860s. When many soldiers returned home, jobs were scarce, so hordes of young men took to the newly built railroads to find their fortunes elsewhere. The name hobo is believed to be a shortened form of “hoe boy.” The original hobos traveled from town to town looking for odd jobs and menial farm work.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 08-29-2018 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: add link
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies