Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 09:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,657,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
It's not a religious test. You don't have to be a Christian to swear on a bible. It's just tradition.

If I choose to insert myself in a historically muslim majority country only and choose to work in the government, I'll swear on the damn Koran even though I'm not muslims and hate islam.

I don't have much of a problem per se of a real American swearing on a Koran, but of foreigners with a foreign religion being allow to import in the first place.
Apparently you’re good with a false display of belief. I’m not.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:59 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,435,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Did you have a problem with it prior to 9/11?

Old 09-23-2018, 11:21 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,657,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
Did you have a problem with it prior to 9/11?
Not sure what you’re trying to get at here, but if you’re asking me whether I disapproved of false displays of religious belief before 9/11, yes I did.

Old 09-23-2018, 11:28 AM

19,966 posts, read 7,823,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
It's not a display you believe in the bible or the religion per se. You're not asked if you believe in the bible and are a Christian. It's a display that you respect tradition and the many people who do belief. If you refuse to swear on the bible then you are saying eff American tradition and many of the American people. Why are you here and entering government when you're displaying you're the enemy of the people?

Old 09-23-2018, 12:25 PM

46,861 posts, read 25,803,381 times
Quote:
It's not a display you believe in the bible or the religion per se. You're not asked if you believe in the bible and are a Christian. It's a display that you respect tradition and the many people who do belief. If you refuse to swear on the bible then you are saying eff American tradition and many of the American people. Why are you here and entering government when you're displaying you're the enemy of the people?
What you're advocating is the textbook definition of taking the Lord's name in vain. Isn't that frowned upon? I for one seem to recall it being on the short list of no-nos you and yours are so fond of plastering anywhere.

Old 09-23-2018, 01:09 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,435,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
What you're advocating is the textbook definition of taking the Lord's name in vain. Isn't that frowned upon? I for one seem to recall it being on the short list of no-nos you and yours are so fond of plastering anywhere.

How do you conclude that swearing to tell the truth is "taking the Lord's name in vain"?

It's tradition. It's respectful of our American culture and values. It's really quite silly and petty to find a fault with it. It's even sillier to place that fault on Christians by insisting we should know it's... ummmm, how did you put it?... a "no-no".

Old 09-23-2018, 07:19 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,334,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
How do you conclude that swearing to tell the truth is "taking the Lord's name in vain"?

It's tradition. It's respectful of our American culture and values. It's really quite silly and petty to find a fault with it. It's even sillier to place that fault on Christians by insisting we should know it's... ummmm, how did you put it?... a "no-no".
No it's not. It's disrespectful of American culture and values. It would be silly, pointless bureaucracy to force people to swear on the Bible. It would make us seem stupid. Thankfully, I'm under the impression people don't have to do that.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Being anti-Christianity is not being an enemy of the American people, necessarily. It's just as likely to mean being an ally of the American people. There's nothing wrong or anti-American about wanting Christianity destroyed. Many people I've heard talk about advocating the destruction of Christianity want that because they believe it'll help people...the American people.

Old 09-23-2018, 07:30 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,823,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Being anti-Christianity is not being an enemy of the American people, necessarily. It's just as likely to mean being an ally of the American people. There's nothing wrong or anti-American about wanting Christianity destroyed. Many people I've heard talk about advocating the destruction of Christianity want that because they believe it'll help people...the American people.
No that makes one the definition of the enemy of the people and the constitution. They don't want or need anyone to decide what they should and must believe or what would "help them".

Old 09-23-2018, 07:33 PM

Quote:
No that makes one the definition of the enemy of the people and the constitution. They don't want or need anyone to decide what they should and must believe or what would "help them".
If being anti-Christianity means being an "enemy of the people" you're already deciding what people should or must believe. Defending Christianity has nothing more to do with defending Americans than wanting to destroy it, or wanting to spread Satanism. The main difference is spreading Satanism would probably help people more than spreading Christianity a little, and destroying Christianity would probably help Americans a lot.

Last edited by Clintone; 09-23-2018 at 07:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies