Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 08:34 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,084,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
Why would she get the death penalty? What is the point of this thread?
If 5 min in car = felony in some jurisdictions

Hours in a car, year round, year after year = death penalty
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 08:34 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
it is better for a parent to have trouble with the police than a dead child forever because the car was stolen with their child inside or the child was dead from heat stroke. "do-gooders" do the right thing to call the police when a child or animal is left alone in a hot car.
Man they carjack cars with kids in them. Can't live your life in perpetual fear.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:36 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
This reminds me of a DL Hugley comedy routine where he talked about these (BEWARE overly offended people I'm quoting a not PC comedian lol) "dumb" kids today who die in hot cars and how his mom left him all the time in the car - mine did too BTW - and if he got hot he got out of the car lol. I remember getting left in the car at 4 and 5 with my brother, rolling down windows and getting out when it was hot.

My mom left us in the car a lot back in the 1980s when people didn't overly judge parents and expect them to never leave kids alone.

Note, I wouldn't leave my own 4 and 5 year old in the car (my kids are older than this). But if it was just to run in the store really quick, I don't see how this "do-gooder" did any good other than endanger these kids with foster care over a quick 5 minute trip. From what was described in the link, this was not some long trip or some sort of dangerous situation. People over-react IMO too much today.

I wonder how old most of you would think is okay to leave a kid in the car. I did leave my son when he was 10 in the car in the past and now that he's a teen, I leave him with his 9 year old sister in the car when they don't want to come in the store. I think that today too many people call the police over things that no one would have 25 years ago. Everyone trying to be an activist with a video camera on their phone...

Old 08-28-2018, 08:37 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,746,700 times
Leaving the kids in the car while you go shopping for a long time is wrong but we've gone overboard with the criminalization of leaving kids in the car for a few minutes while you go grab some milk. Like with many issues nowadays there's a happy medium that we don't seem to be able to settle at.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
It wasn't hot out. Why are parents such paranoid helicopter parents these days? WTF happened?

I blame it on the dems.

Or can our new world order be attributed to both parties?

Old 08-28-2018, 08:46 AM

36,503 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This reminds me of a DL Hugley comedy routine where he talked about these (BEWARE overly offended people I'm quoting a not PC comedian lol) "dumb" kids today who die in hot cars and how his mom left him all the time in the car - mine did too BTW - and if he got hot he got out of the car lol. I remember getting left in the car at 4 and 5 with my brother, rolling down windows and getting out when it was hot.

Now days kids 4 and 5 are still required to be strapped into car seats/booster seats/travel vests so they cant get out and cars dont have manual windows so they can roll them down.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/08...g?v=1529535665

Old 08-28-2018, 09:03 AM

Yep, as was stated. Each state has their laws...who knew?

https://www.kidsandcars.org/resources/state-laws/

Same with guns.

A lady with a gun permit from PA took the wrong turn off and ended up over the border in NJ. A cop stopped her and she was going to jail under the NJ zero tolerance gun laws. She was legal in PA and a criminal in NJ. But might makes right and you can't fight city hall.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:11 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Now days kids 4 and 5 are still required to be strapped into car seats/booster seats/travel vests so they cant get out and cars dont have manual windows so they can roll them down.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/08...g?v=1529535665

I understand this - just sharing my experiences. My 9 year old is still in a booster.

But FWIW, I did teach my kids how to take off their 5 point harness and how to use a seat belt (on and off) by the time they were 4 years old - they knew how to do these things. Many parents don't teach their kids how to do this for some reason (holds up a lot of carpools).

My daughter was in a 5 point harness until she was 5 - she knew how to take it off, unlock the door and get out of the car.

When my son was 5 he had a high back booster (he's older and laws evolved since he was 5) and he knew how to buckle/unbuckle the seat belt and open the car door and get out of the car too at 5.

Parents really should teach their kids how to get out of the car and their carseat IMO at age 4. That was the main skill goal that I had for my kids at age 4 (I had skill goals based on my mom being a daycare owner and later a Head Start teacher and her always complaining and still complaining about the basic stuff that kids don't know how to do. People drill their kids with flashcards but don't teach them how to button/unbutton their pants or how to take off their seatbelts - they use seatbelts on the buses my mom goes on field trips on with her kids and hardly any of them know how to take the seat belt off and when they come they often dont know how to button/unbutton-zipper/unzip their clothes so I focused a lot on these "soft skills" with my kids when they were young).

So to be funny like the comedian, they are "dumb" only because the parents don't teach them these things IMO.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:48 AM

36,503 posts, read 30,820,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I understand this - just sharing my experiences. My 9 year old is still in a booster.

But FWIW, I did teach my kids how to take off their 5 point harness and how to use a seat belt (on and off) by the time they were 4 years old - they knew how to do these things. Many parents don't teach their kids how to do this for some reason (holds up a lot of carpools).

My daughter was in a 5 point harness until she was 5 - she knew how to take it off, unlock the door and get out of the car.

When my son was 5 he had a high back booster (he's older and laws evolved since he was 5) and he knew how to buckle/unbuckle the seat belt and open the car door and get out of the car too at 5.

Parents really should teach their kids how to get out of the car and their carseat IMO at age 4. That was the main skill goal that I had for my kids at age 4 (I had skill goals based on my mom being a daycare owner and later a Head Start teacher and her always complaining and still complaining about the basic stuff that kids don't know how to do. People drill their kids with flashcards but don't teach them how to button/unbutton their pants or how to take off their seatbelts - they use seatbelts on the buses my mom goes on field trips on with her kids and hardly any of them know how to take the seat belt off and when they come they often dont know how to button/unbutton-zipper/unzip their clothes so I focused a lot on these "soft skills" with my kids when they were young).

So to be funny like the comedian, they are "dumb" only because the parents don't teach them these things IMO.
Oh yeah I know just saying how even the idea of seat belts and car seats and cars have changed.
There were no car seat or seat belt laws when I was a kid or even when my first was born and the seats were no where near as complicated as they are today. I have a difficult time putting kids in and out of some of these restraints so I guess I'm the dumb grandparent.

Moms child restraint was swinging that right arm across and pinning you against the seat if she had to hit her breaks hard.. Dad stomped the breaks on purpose causing us kids to fly forward. We knew we were in trouble then. We would look at him looking at us through the rear view saying "I TOLD YOU TO SIT DOWN AND BE STILL".
I remember laying in the back window of our woody wood wagon on long trips, it was my favorite spot, and riding in the bed of the truck. All these things would probably get you in trouble today.

Old 08-28-2018, 10:12 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,785,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Oh yeah I know just saying how even the idea of seat belts and car seats and cars have changed.
There were no car seat or seat belt laws when I was a kid or even when my first was born and the seats were no where near as complicated as they are today. I have a difficult time putting kids in and out of some of these restraints so I guess I'm the dumb grandparent.

Moms child restraint was swinging that right arm across and pinning you against the seat if she had to hit her breaks hard.. Dad stomped the breaks on purpose causing us kids to fly forward. We knew we were in trouble then. We would look at him looking at us through the rear view saying "I TOLD YOU TO SIT DOWN AND BE STILL".
I remember laying in the back window of our woody wood wagon on long trips, it was my favorite spot, and riding in the bed of the truck. All these things would probably get you in trouble today.
I guess they would.

Back then you could also beat the snot out of your kids and no one interfered. It was your own business what you did with your kids.

One of our neighbors knocked his daughter's front teeth out because she wouldn't have sex with him any more.

Everyone knew what happened, but no one did a darn thing about it.

Now we have a lot of whining, hand wringing, and free-range parenting laws being passed to ensure that parents can be a neglectful as they want and not face any consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies