Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 09:21 AM

14,668 posts, read 14,629,286 times

Advertisements

I can’t speak for anyone else, but McCain felt like the last of the Reagan-era Republicans, whereas now the “party of Reagan” has become the “party of Putin”. It feels like the end of an era. I liked my Republicans prudish, Christian and starting the occasional war...having a liberal black man as president turned (those who haven’t left) bat**** crazy and suddenly okay with authoritarianism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 09:22 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,394,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Trump is such a douche that he makes McCain look like a smart, sensible, moderate patriot in comparison.

I'm a dyed-in-the-wool liberal, but considered voting for McCain in 2008 until he picked Sarah Palin as a running mate. I appreciated his experience and intelligence, but when he caved to the Tea Party I changed my mind.

He made mistakes, but he also showed himself to be a stand-up guy in many instances, like when he told that woman at the rally that Obama was a good man.
I agree with this. I lost some of the respect I had for him with the Palin choice, but generally had a basic respect for him. Believe it or not, people (liberals I guess) can actually have respect for people they disagree with, so long as those people actually deserve some respect (so, Trump is a hard no).

Old 08-28-2018, 09:25 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,357,906 times
Be honest cons, what is the real reason you praise Trump when he is so deplorable?

Old 08-28-2018, 09:25 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,002,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Did your sister kill 134 Sailors and Marines? Mccain did.. Did he wound another 166? McCain did..

Not sure why you are bringing your sister into this..

Yet, your claim about the incident on the USS Forrestal is a lie from beginning to end.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jo...uss-forrestal/

It was noted that several 'conservative' websites began spreading this story in August 2017.

See also a summary of the Navy's investigation:

http://usnhistory.navylive.dodlive.m...rol-readiness/

Reading such, we find that the rocket was accidentally discharged from a port, and hit McCain's plane.

Link to the Navy's investigation:

http://www.jag.navy.mil/library/inve...9%20PT%203.pdf

So, let us quit spreading false rumors.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:35 AM

1,991 posts, read 899,202 times
Duty, Honor, Country. That's what John McCain stood for all his professional life. Regardless of political differences, that's why this liberal Veteran mourns his passing.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:38 AM

4,026 posts, read 2,710,958 times
Quote:
Enough with the fake praise that he is a hero and a true patriot..2 things most liberals care nothing about. Is it ONLY because he didnt like Trump? Is that the only reason you seem to care all the sudden? Its one thing to heap criticism on the dead, but its quite another to heap obsequious flattery just to hurt someone else.

So...?
Maybe because I never really had a problem with him in the first place, aside from his picking Palin as a running mate.

I mean, what a concept, right? A candidate that actually had crossover appeal? Whoda thunk?

Old 08-28-2018, 09:41 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Yet, your claim about the incident on the USS Forrestal is a lie from beginning to end.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/jo...uss-forrestal/

It was noted that several 'conservative' websites began spreading this story in August 2017.

See also a summary of the Navy's investigation:

http://usnhistory.navylive.dodlive.m...rol-readiness/

Reading such, we find that the rocket was accidentally discharged from a port, and hit McCain's plane.

Link to the Navy's investigation:

http://www.jag.navy.mil/library/inve...9%20PT%203.pdf

So, let us quit spreading false rumors.
False rumors are their stock-in-trade.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:43 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,642,400 times
THIS WAS McCAIN ..
Remember what McCain's true legacy is: his father was the admiral in charge of the Pacific fleet that was prosecuting the war in Vietnam. Because of this, McCain obtained preferential treatment in the Navy. He was allowed to become a Navy pilot. But he was a terrible pilot. McCain crashed with two Navy Jets in his early career.

Then, while traveling aboard the USS Forrestal aircraft carrier, McCain became angry because he had to wait in line to take off in a bombing. He got upset and turned off the engines, opened the cockpit and squeezed the button that dropped his bombs live on the Forrestal's deck. He ran out, as the bombs exploded, triggering a chain reaction of bombs from adjacent planes, explosions and ensuing fires killed 133 sailors aboard the Forrestal.

While his teammates were fighting the fire, McCain went to the pilots' lounge under the deck and watched the men fight the fire on a closed-circuit television.
Hours later, McCain took off with a fellow reporter from the New York Times, and stated that after seeing the effects of those bombs on Forrestal, he was beginning to question the morality of throwing those bombs on the Viet Cong.

McCain was the direct cause of 133 deaths on his own ship, and he was never reprimanded. It was inactive because the Forrestal aircraft carrier had to remain anchored in the Philippines for months for repair work.
McCain was married then. His wife was hit with serious injuries in a car accident. Upon returning from Vietnam Nam, McCain discovered that his wife was disfigured by his injuries, which included the pelvis, arm and legs broken. To save her legs, doctors performed 23 surgeries and had to remove significant portions of the bones of her legs, which made her smaller, unable to walk and in a wheelchair and forced to use a catheter. Carol McCain had to undergo a strenuous physical therapy to learn to walk again.

After McCain left the Navy, he was determined to pursue a career in politics. He and his wife Carol had come to know Ronald and Nancy Reagan, and McCain was eager to get into politics. But he decided he needed a visually pleasing young woman by his side. He cruelly divorced Carol, the mother of his three children, and immediately got involved with his new wife Cindy, who was 18 years younger than him. Upon learning of this, the Reagans were shocked and angered by the way he had treated Carol.
While campaigning for Congress, McCain used pictures of himself posing with Mr. and Mrs. Reagan, but the Reagans did not back him up.

McCain's new wife was the billionaire heiress of the Arizona Brewing fortune and let's not forget that McCain was one of the "Keating 5" who helped swindle the life savings of countless Americans in the 1980s scandal McCain was involved in stealing up to his neck. However, McCain was part of the establishment - a member of the CFR world-wide organizations and Rockefeller's Trilateral Commission - he was well connected in Washington and had won a seat in the United States Senate.
His "heroism" as POW in the "Hotel Hanoi" is questioned by his colleagues who called him "Songbird McCain".

Mc Cain consented and capricious that despite being the grandson of the admiral who signed the surrender of Japan and son of the admiral chief of the powerful Pacific Fleet was the last of his promotion in Annapolis.
Then, before the tearful tributes to John McCain, be sure to remember with all due respect your family that John McCain was never the great man so many portray.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:45 AM

15,070 posts, read 10,087,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
Yes. If he was pro trump they would still be saying awful things. its totally fake.
Yeh.. because you have a direct feed into everyone's minds... and US politics doesn't exist outside of Trump's tenure.. and revolves around Trump.

That's why "suddenly" both Bush and Obama (and they didn't see eye to eye with McCain on all issues) both are paying their respect and delivering his eulogy.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:50 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,443,317 times
Quote:
Enough with the fake praise that he is a hero and a true patriot..2 things most liberals care nothing about. Is it ONLY because he didnt like Trump? Is that the only reason you seem to care all the sudden? Its one thing to heap criticism on the dead, but its quite another to heap obsequious flattery just to hurt someone else.

So...?
The real reason many of us praise McCain is because we do still believe in an ideal of service to country that is higher than our personal policy opinions.

McCain is not someone I agreed with on many things, and I don't know why he didn't vote more favorably on veterans' affairs. But I never questioned that at the end of the day, he has some minimum standards of character and is trying to move in a direction that he thinks benefits the land.

And I NEVER questioned his valor and military service to this nation, which is common sport among conservatives, especially those who never stuck their neck out to serve. And I think his overall legacy IS deserving of respect. Doesn't mean I have to think the man is a saint or that he did all things the best way; just that in passing, he deserves an honest salute of respect.

I would feel similarly respectful if John Boehner, Rand Paul, or someone like Mitch McConnell passed away. These are also men who do things I don't always agree with, but at least they conducted themselves with a certain kind of character that makes me think they are approaching enough things with good intentions to be worthy of respect.

Not so with Trump, who goes out of his way to attack everyone who doesn't agree with him with the most childish tone and insults unbecoming of an elected official. He makes clear in his conduct that he serves no higher path other than his own aggrandizement, and I can't respect him. And somewhere along the line, conservatives lost their sense that service to country is higher than personal opinion. Now, it's "we respect your service to country if you agree with us; if you don't, then we will spit on your grave and say the most vile things we can think of."

And that's on you, not on the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies