Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2018, 09:26 AM

29,526 posts, read 9,700,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
Patriotism has turned into right wing PC talk. You must be patriotic in the way they approve.
Never thought of it that way, but good point! Sad and apparently all too true...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
bull.

and sports by the design of the left is becoming of, by and for the left.

I have never needed a football player. I have had to lean on a first responder or two.

That isn't an argument. As a vet that served in one of Americas war, what these guys need to know is they need me vastly more than I need them. They aren't engendering any affection when they spend their time insulting me.

PS Donald Trump isn't the one dividing America. That is asinine. The ones dividing America are the ones spitting on those of us who have written a blank check to this country, for the protection of people we will never meet. Donald Trump never did that. He just called it like it is and that upset the crybaby fruitloops out there being dirtbags.
I know of at least one other vet (and member of Congress) who strongly disagreed with you about Trump, along with many who still do, with all due respect for your service as well. Unfortunately, none of that makes your comment about sports by "design of the left" anything short of daffy.

I'm a sports fan, and I never feel more exposed to patriotic images and symbols as when I watch pre-game and half-time shows (if I happen to watch them), including all tributes to the military, fly-overs, marching bands, singing the national anthem, etc. Not really a left or right thing for me or most American sports fans, but no more left than right far as just about anyone can be concerned!

Old 08-30-2018, 09:34 AM

29,438 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
you can't insult the flag and national anthem that I and millions of Americans love and then ask for a dialog. That's ignorant.

that's like insulting a woman and then pretending that she would go out with you and talk.

that's like insulting the Black race in something they hold dear and pretend we can later have a conversation?.................. and who are you kidding? I seen this "debate" before and ends, if people don't view their views on things then all of the sudden we are racists and don't care for X group of people.

so save the BS on trying to have a dialog......I don't go to sport games to have a dialog about my politics or your politics and the least the politics of over-paid athletes telling me how I should feel and think and react.
Well stated !

Old 08-30-2018, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
Football is doing great. It's the number one rated show on six different channels. Sunday Night Football on NBC was the most watched television show in 2017. Ten of the top twenty most watched programs in the US in 2017 were NFL games. The 111 million people who watched the Super Bowl had 132% more viewers than the second most watched program of 2017: the AFC Championship game. So throw your temper tantrums if you must - - you weren't that much of a football fan in the first place. The rest of us are ready for the season to start.
Yes. Agreed. Ready!

But how well the NFL is doing is not really the point here I don't think...

Old 08-30-2018, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
And as a vet in one of America's war, you don't speak for all vets. In fact my Dad (Vietnam) and Best Man (Iraq) would rip into your point of view viciously. They fought to protect the rights these football players are enacting. And you're insulting what my patriots fought for.
Right again!

One of the things that makes me proud to be an American is that we are one of the few countries where it is NOT illegal to burn the American flag! For people who understand what that means, that's truly saying something about respect and want of freedom!

Old 08-30-2018, 09:39 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And I don't know of any job, other than sports, where you are forced to stand for the pledge every time you start work.
Ten they can stay in the locker room.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:40 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,362,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And I don't know of any job, other than sports, where you are forced to stand for the pledge every time you start work.
Teacher?

Old 08-30-2018, 09:44 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,611,363 times
This is a non issue to me. It is their right to sit, stand, kneel or stay in the locker room.

Bring on the college and NFL seasons.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:45 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,296,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I would just like to take this time to remind everyone that hockey has none of this crap.
No protesting in Hockey but plenty of activism, just for another cause.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sactown4 View Post
This post illustrates the conservative mindset perfectly.

Thank You

As for Football. I've never met someone who gave a **** about the guys kneeling. We watch the game, we're busy drinking, eating and talking before the first kickoff.
The only annoying part is how much media attention this continues to get. We now know why the guys were protesting. Some people care about the plight of innocent black people, and how they're treated by police, and other people are just pieces of crap who aren't going to change their mind.

I like what the NFL proposed, of having the guys who want to protest, stay in the locker room. Their absence will be noticed by those who care.

I also like ESPNs new policy. We don't need to see the anthem on TV. We know that the only reason the NFL even has the players on the field for the anthem is because they get paid for it. It's not patriotism, it's greed.
Does "illustrate the conservative mindset perfectly." Sadly...

Wish I could also agree about people not giving a crap about guys kneeling, but I know a few who are football fans but stopped watching because of the whole knee thing. Some can accept Trump despite all his shortcomings, but a few football players out of how many? Take a knee and oh my! Can't watch the games anymore!

Never mind all the concussions being suffered by a good many more football players. Nothing at all bothersome about that, but take a knee?!? Even someone like Trump, with the honor of a weasel, can't stomach that!

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-30-2018 at 10:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies