Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2018, 10:56 AM

5,993 posts, read 3,731,537 times

Advertisements

The NFL is a private business and they can fire at will but then you have to ask yourself why they haven't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 10:57 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Sports fan "folks" don't want a lecture on the issues facing anyone, anywhere when they tune in for their daily/weekly/etc dose of escapism.

And the AT&T Pebble Beach Pro Am, including the sit down interviews done with celebrities after they tee off at 17, is about as light hearted, non-politicized, we_all_really_do_get_along as any pro sports entertainment event gets. FFS, even Hoodie smiles, jokes and laughs at the Pebble Beach Pro Am.

THAT'S WHY IT GETS GOOD RATINGS. It's fun. The National Woke League and all the political crap about which race has which concerns and whose concerns are more or less valid ISN'T FUN. It isn't entertaining. It's annoying.

Someday, maybe...you'll understand the simple point of entertainment and why entertaining, not scolding/berating the audience, matters.
1) Every golf match in the world gets CRUSHED by NFL ratings.

2) It's not surprising that a field that is 95% white country club guys aren't talking about violence to black people.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:59 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
...and them damn, long-haired hippie weirdos too!
Why can't they present themselves like the Duck Dynasty and NASCAR fans???

Old 08-30-2018, 11:03 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I wonder if the players taking a knee to bring attention to the problem they wish to bring attention to really thought hard about what you want to tune into, or tune out. I doubt it...
Doubtful they are the first employees to commit career suicide over something trivial. It happens all over the business world because people forget who and where they are when they decide to get all righteously indignant.
Quote:
Listen. There are people who get all in a twist about such things, can't possibly enjoy a football game because a player took a knee before kick off. Can't watch the Academy Awards show, because some actor might say something of political nature, can't watch a movie that isn't all fun loving and feel good. Fine! Free country of course. Stick with what makes you feel good. I get that!

I just don't have those sorts of issues, hang-ups, and I don't really want my entertainment, news or world white-washed for me. Fair?
I never said a single word about what you should do. My point was always about what the kneeling NFL player and their apologists "need to understand" about every viewer's freedom of choice and the demand that we "need to understand" you. The point is that none of us can dictate to others how they choose to spend their entertainment time and dime. So if a growing number of fans tune out because they find kneeling for the anthem to be distasteful, there's nothing the CBA, Kareem or you can do about it, given that is their choice. The NFL just wants to make a buck, and they'll let ratings, sales, merchandise, etc dictate how socially involved they want to be.
Quote:
NOT SCOLDING OR BERATING THE AUDIENCE! Maybe someday YOU will understand this simple fact, but given your comments I seriously doubt it...
Yes they are. Kareem's entire article is a scold. ESPN scolds the NFL, Trump, the viewers tuning out et al all the freaking time. The broadcasters on CBS and Fox scold and berate.Everyone has an opinion and they like to cram it in the largely uninterested viewer's face all the time. And people are tuning out in increasing numbers.

Even the title of this thread is a scold. What we "need to understand?" We don't need to understand anything. It's our entertainment time and dime, so what we do with it is completely up to us, whether we understand your social advocacy points or don't. We don't "need" to do anything. We'd prefer to be left alone to choose for ourselves whether political protests entertain us or not, but we don't need to unerstan the nature of the protest.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:06 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,700,562 times
Quote:
The purpose of business is to create, sustain and grow profits for the owners of that business. Period. That's a basic, fundamental economic principle. Even non-profits have to make profit, they just have to put the profit back into the business instead of paying it out to shareholders/owners. No profit means eventual death of the business. Period, the end.

The NFL is an entertainment business. It makes its profits by entertaining the audience with the sport of American football, not with social justice, political advocacy or lobbying. Its revenue and profit depend entirely on whether or not people want to watch/patronize the sport of American football as entertainment.

If the business, for whatever reason, gives the audience reasons NOT to tune in, they hurt their revenue, which in turn hurts the profit. Hurt profit long enough, the business dis. It ceases to exist. Thus, the NFL as a business will do that which is in the interests of the business, not society, not political advocacy according to one ideological bent, and not according to the scolds of a small fraction of the employees and their apologists.

And maybe there is an audience that wants racial politics and cultural scolding with their football. Maybe that audience is even bigger than the audience that just wants to watch football. It's the NFL's business. I will make my choice based on what entertains me, not what the culture thinks I owe them.
Please...

I started, owned and operated my own business, quite successfully I might add. I got my undergraduate degree in business and an MBA. No need to "lecture" me about "the purpose of business." Nothing you explain really needs explaining even in general, including what the NFL is all about. Money, money, money. Sure, in our political system too, of course.

All that said, two things; 1) I've really got to sign off and do something productive with my time now even though I am sure another comment or two and you'll finally understand what I'm explaining! and 2) there are many ways to make more money that are unethical, illegal, simply wrong even if you can get away with it, and done all the time. This doesn't make it okay or right. Period.

More than a few lawsuits brought against Trump by Trump University students, for example. I can think of countless examples just from my own career experience that makes this subject far more complicated than you choose to simplify it. Second period.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
1) Every golf match in the world gets CRUSHED by NFL ratings.

2) It's not surprising that a field that is 95% white country club guys aren't talking about violence to black people.
Thanks for the parting chuckle! Really!

Old 08-30-2018, 11:12 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times
Quote:
Please...

I started, owned and operated my own business, quite successfully I might add. I got my undergraduate degree in business and an MBA. No need to "lecture" me about "the purpose of business." Nothing you explain really needs explaining even in general, including what the NFL is all about. Money, money, money. Sure, in our political system too, of course.

All that said, two things; 1) I've really got to sign off and do something productive with my time now even though I am sure another comment or two and you'll finally understand what I'm explaining! and 2) there are many ways to make more money that are unethical, illegal, simply wrong even if you can get away with it, and done all the time. This doesn't make it okay or right. Period.

More than a few lawsuits brought against Trump by Trump University students, for example. I can think of countless examples just from my own career experience that makes this subject far more complicated than you choose to simplify it. Second period.
Blah blah, you cannot refute my stance or effectively counter it. Gotcha.

And I made my comments about business because you said, quote: "Maybe doing what makes the absolute most money is not always the best policy all considered." To me, that belies a basic ignorance about the nature and purpose of business. even when businesses engage in social advocacy under the extended stakeholder model, they are doing it to maximize profit.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Doubtful they are the first employees to commit career suicide over something trivial. It happens all over the business world because people forget who and where they are when they decide to get all righteously indignant.

I never said a single word about what you should do. My point was always about what the kneeling NFL player and their apologists "need to understand" about every viewer's freedom of choice and the demand that we "need to understand" you. The point is that none of us can dictate to others how they choose to spend their entertainment time and dime. So if a growing number of fans tune out because they find kneeling for the anthem to be distasteful, there's nothing the CBA, Kareem or you can do about it, given that is their choice. The NFL just wants to make a buck, and they'll let ratings, sales, merchandise, etc dictate how socially involved they want to be.

Yes they are. Kareem's entire article is a scold. ESPN scolds the NFL, Trump, the viewers tuning out et al all the freaking time. The broadcasters on CBS and Fox scold and berate.Everyone has an opinion and they like to cram it in the largely uninterested viewer's face all the time. And people are tuning out in increasing numbers.

Even the title of this thread is a scold. What we "need to understand?" We don't need to understand anything. It's our entertainment time and dime, so what we do with it is completely up to us, whether we understand your social advocacy points or don't. We don't "need" to do anything. We'd prefer to be left alone to choose for ourselves whether political protests entertain us or not, but we don't need to unerstan the nature of the protest.
Wow. "If what we need to understand" is scolding, then you must have had an awfully difficult time getting through school!

Far as I'm concerned, it's exchange of opinion, "comparing notes," expressing ourselves, bringing attention to matters of importance, or watch the Disney Channel if you prefer, but nothing about this subject or this thread is "shoving anything down anyone's throat!" Not forcing anything on anyone! Not insulting or demeaning or unpatriotic! None of that despite what people may think to the contrary. Just because you or they disagree doesn't make you or them right, nor me for that matter. Of course.

The exchange of opinion about these sorts of subjects, however, is just that, regardless how different people feel about such exchange, opinion, expression, protest. And we judge accordingly, part company if necessary, change the channel if that's what you want to do.

Me, I look forward to the start of the season. "Let the games begin!" I have far more concern about reducing the head injuries, no concern about anyone taking a knee. Fair?

Until tomorrow. Cheers!

Old 08-30-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Blah blah, you cannot refute my stance or effectively counter it. Gotcha.

And I made my comments about business because you said, quote: "Maybe doing what makes the absolute most money is not always the best policy all considered." To me, that belies a basic ignorance about the nature and purpose of business. even when businesses engage in social advocacy under the extended stakeholder model, they are doing it to maximize profit.
Blah blah. Right. You got me! Enjoy your impressive victory...

Old 08-30-2018, 11:20 AM

1,081 posts, read 548,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Don't watch or go to games if you have a problem with it. Isn't that what you tell us when we are offended? If you are offended don't participate. I am offended by Faux News . I don't watch. EVER. Simple. Do I say they should all be fired and flogged or whatever? No. I just don't watch it or support it. If you flag waving patriotic Uber Patriots feel that strongly about it don't watch.
This is my attitude too. I am a veteran. I fought and lost a lot under that flag (or more precisely with it on my shoulder.)

However, I swore to uphold the Constitution. Part of that is allowing people the freedom to speak their minds (or kneel if they want.) I find it disrespectful that they would kneel rather than stand as is convention but that's their freedom to do so. If the NFL wants to allow them to take a knee, I see it as no different than Casual Friday at the office. A relaxing of the rules.

I have the choice to support the NFL financially or not; I choose not.

Additionally, the local high school team decided that they wanted to kneel to in support of Kaepernick. So when they came to my door looking to sell stuff for football boosters, I said no and explained to them why. I am a veteran. I fought for them to have that freedom to protest, but I do not have to support their choices financially. It's my freedom to choose what I support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies