Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 01:13 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,293,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiffnecked View Post
Who sits around and talks about professional sports? Who sits around and relishes in the thought about cheering on millionaire ball dribblers? No one! We got life to live and things to do. i don't sit around and worship millionaire jock straps nor do I care about their opinions.
Are you kidding me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 01:20 PM

8,539 posts, read 10,957,351 times
Obviously Kareem feels the black population in general has never been able to progress like other races.
This is true, but one has to ask why is this?
For way to many years , blacks have always felt the white population owes them something because of what happened to their ancestors hundreds of years ago.
That same attitude persist today.

The fact of the matter is, blacks rely on outside forces to do things for them, when in fact they should be doing these things on their own, if they want a better life.
They complain they do not have the same opportunities as whites, an other races.
If that is the case, then do something to create change.
Sitting around pissin and moaning about things, is not going to change anything.

Their biggest mistake is PROTEST.
That solves nothing, and waste time.

They should be out talking to elected officials in a dignified matter, as opposed to marching in the streets like a bunch of hoodlums.
They have serious issues?
Discuss them in a serious way.
Let them spell it out to those with the power and resources to do something.

Now, about this kneeling when the national anthem is being played.

I think it is the most disgraceful , and disrespectful thing any American can do.
My words to those involved in this blatant disrespect for the country would be, "If you don't like the idea of showing respect for the country, then get the hell out.

The country isn't perfect, but I would take it over any other place on earth.
These low life kneelers should all be fired the minute they bend to kneel when ever the anthem is played.
They deserve nothing but a one way ticket out of this country.
Oh, and they can take Kareem with them.

Bob.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:30 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,392,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
No doubt this is an issue that also seriously divides America, with Trump in the mix in typical embarrassing fashion, and no doubt there have been more than a few prior threads about this as a result, but rather than let this get buried in one of those many prior threads, I think Kareem's recent insights about all this sports protest business are particularly worthy of consideration...

"Sports is one of the few areas in which Americans of all races can talk to each other. Right now, it may be the country’s best hope for meaningful dialogue"

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ter-in-america

If only Trump and more Americans would/could consider what they are so badly missing. Purposely or unwittingly, I'm really not sure...
I have no idea what you are trying to state given your post. That sports is some type of neutral ground for...?
This thread seems to lack clarity.

Being forced to watch a bunch of under-educated millionaires protest, because one enjoys sports, is not "talking". Its exploitation of the middle class dollar spent to watch the sports, because these men feel entitled before they go back to their privileged lives.

That's never going to go over well. Trump is the voice of everyone who doesn't want sports turned into yet another media outlet for the Left. If the Left cared about a national meeting ground, they'd leave sports be; where people of differing views can get together and enjoy something without politics.

Old 08-28-2018, 01:57 PM

3,324 posts, read 1,958,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
What about you put your knee where your mouth is and LISTEN to what some of these people have said about what they have done and why, or maybe read the article, or maybe consider the fact that many are ALSO doing good in their own communities, in addition to protesting what they think is hurting their communities, or SOMETHING that might demonstrate that YOU'RE the one not coming off rather "silly" all considered.

Possible?
These “raising consciousness” street theater type of things have just become boring. They were trite in the 60s and they are more so now. If, as you say, these players are going out into their own communities and reaching out to underprivileged youth and organizing the adults to better their lives then what more can or should be done? This whole take a knee is sounding more and more like a reparations ploy to me and to millions of others. And quite frankly we are tired of these weird guilt trip that you on the left are trying to lay on us.

Last edited by enraeh; 08-28-2018 at 02:58 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 08-28-2018, 02:51 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,036,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
what a retarded response.....this is a forum, people come here to write and read opinions. You don't have to read my posts or response......just like we don't have to watch the NFL and reject the kneelers.
Come on man, stop being obtuse. You are entitled to your opinion. You can protest whatever you desire. What you cannot do is dictate what others should or should not protest.
I get it, you do not agree with the reasoning of these protests. Good for you. Don't watch or support the NFL. But when you include data supporting your position that does not remove other peoples opinions or reasoning. The NFL will not miss you. And people will continue to find things to protest that you disgree with.
The one thing I struggle to tolerate is people who cannot tolerate.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:57 PM

1,808 posts, read 4,036,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
My words to those involved in this blatant disrespect for the country would be, "If you don't like the idea of showing respect for the country, then get the hell out.

My words to you would be, if you do not believe in the right to peacefully protest then get the hell out.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:02 AM

29,503 posts, read 9,685,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
Colin Kapernick has donated over $1million to charities and raised a lot more than that. He has volunteered consistently, performing community service to help people in need. He took the time to find struggling grass roots charities to donate to, including one for children with heart defects, single mothers trying to to get on their feet, and many others.

But you wouldn't know that because president jack ass is too busy mouthing off that his feelings are hurt because occasionally 1-5 people on the field aren't standing up to salute the flag that Trump doesn't even know the colors of, during the anthem that Trump doesn't even know the words to.

I could care less if someone takes a knee pregame during the anthem. Half the people in the stands are getting hot dogs, picking their nose, or standing with a blank stare waiting for the game to start. Trump and the members of his circus could care less about that. As usual, they just need something trivial to get outraged about and demand everyone else be as outraged as they are, then get more outraged that everyone isn't as outraged as them.
Always nice to begin the morning reading a comment or two that seems better grounded in facts, reason and logic above average for this forum. Thanks!

Old 08-29-2018, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Yes, wrong doing by the company, meaning its BUSINESS related. How is protesting police activity "business related" for the NFL?

I'm not debating that taking a knee isn't peaceful and appropriate in other settings because by doing so you are hurting someone elses business that you are directly profiting from, ie your employer.
If I am not mistaken, Kaepernick did nothing against "company policy" when he took a knee. Right?

Truth be told, I'm understanding of why the NFL might establish such rules, more rules having to do with preserving the NFL image, from what can be worn on uniforms to what can be done on the sidelines. To that end, whatever the league decides, they have that right of course. This is not the issue...

The issue is what reaction some people have had to the act of taking a knee, altogether legal and not against NFL policy at the time. What "offense" was taken and how Trump reacted, really having nothing to do with league rules but whether ANYONE should dare protest something in public like that, by taking a knee.

"The nerve!" When all we want to do is watch the ball game...

When Trump and all these people so very "insulted" by such a thing choose to make a big issue out of taking a knee instead of any concern whatsoever about WHY Kaepernick did what he did, pretty well says it all if you ask me. Much like very soon after Trump decides to sound off about threats to white Africans without so much as a peep about what whites have been doing to blacks in Africa for decades now.

"Guided by the light?" Oh Hell no! Blinded by the white!

Old 08-29-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pogue Mahone View Post
I did not read one single word of any article you linked to nor did I even really read your OP.
Then I'm sure you will understand why I might not read another word or comment of yours. Right? Fair?

Old 08-29-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Just because you don't know about it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen. People protest things everyday in every way they can think of. A protest doesn't have to be overt or in your face, but it is still a protest.

I protested at a job where I was contractually bound to be there 6 months. I hated the job and the managers and everyday, I kept a countdown calendar on my whiteboard and on the days that I was absent, co-workers (in sympathy) erased and placed the correct number of days till the end for me. We had a GIANT party the eve of the end - with most of the employees congratulating me for being able to "get out."

When asked about it - by management, I responded that "this is the number of days till the end of this contract."

People protest in their jobs daily - you just may not notice it or be involved. Silent protest can be totally within the law and totally within the company policies - and be just as effective.
Isn't walking off the job something of a protest? Ever see those people walking the sidewalk with picket signs? Labor disputes, working conditions, unfair pay...

There may be consequences, yes of course, maybe, but the right to protest is not really a function of whether the boss allows you. Right?

Most important is why people are protesting! Who doesn't understand this? Hello? The women's suffrage movement, the Civil Rights movement, the Vietnam War...

Countless examples where people didn't exactly get permission slips to protest as they felt needed! Right?

Then too, of course, there were all those people so very set in their ways, the status quo, so very insulted that people should have the NERVE to protest about such things. "The nerve!"

Last edited by LearnMe; 08-29-2018 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies