Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 02:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times

Advertisements

One concept being passed around to the brains of Americans these days is that gun owners with "arsenals" of weapons and large amounts of ammunition are especially strange, threatening and unstable... quirky weirdos at best and potential Stephen Paddocks part deux at worst.

There's even a label for them now: "Super Gun Owners"; the idea was pushed about a year ago on media outlets nationwide. Supposedly SGO's are secretly hoarding away the vast majority of America's privately owned firearms contrary to societal norms and common sense itself.

So, what constitutes an "arsenal"? More than one? More than 100? How many bullets is too many? Would you feel unsafe living next to someone you knew had thousands of rounds stored only a couple dozen feet from you?

The Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms but it doesn't say how many. Should there be limits on the number of guns and/or ammunition a person can keep?

All other things equal, do you consider someone who owns a large stash of weapons as suspect or worthy of close scrutiny?

Full disclosure, yes I am pro-gun and obviously hate this idea in general... but I want to hear other viewpoints. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 02:02 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
I say its none of anyones business how many hammers, chainsaws, guns, spoons,shovels, etc. their neighbor owns, so long as the neighbor doesn't use them to do harm.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:04 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
One concept being passed around to the brains of Americans these days is that gun owners with "arsenals" of weapons and large amounts of ammunition are especially strange, threatening and unstable... quirky weirdos at best and potential Stephen Paddocks part deux at worst.

There's even a label for them now: "Super Gun Owners"; the idea was pushed about a year ago on media outlets nationwide. Supposedly SGO's are secretly hoarding away the vast majority of America's privately owned firearms contrary to societal norms and common sense itself.

So, what constitutes an "arsenal"? More than one? More than 100? How many bullets is too many? Would you feel unsafe living next to someone you knew had thousands of rounds stored only a couple dozen feet from you?

The Constitution guarantees the right to bear arms but it doesn't say how many. Should there be limits on the number of guns and/or ammunition a person can keep?

All other things equal, do you consider someone who owns a large stash of weapons as suspect or worthy of close scrutiny?

Full disclosure, yes I am pro-gun and obviously hate this idea in general... but I want to hear other viewpoints. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong about it.
Well, since you want to hear "other" viewpoints, you don't want to hear mine.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:05 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Well, since you don't want to hear "other" viewpoints, you don't want to hear mine.
Shoot (pun intended) I wouldn't ask if I didn't want to hear it all. I'm just one head among billions

Old 08-28-2018, 02:12 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

One. Next question please.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:13 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
I also do not hold an opposing viewpoint, and think of it exactly a Frank describes. Nobody needs to know or care about how many knives, forks and spoons I have, so why do they need to know or care about how many of any other household item I have?

"Nobody has any reason to own XYZ" is the mating call of fascist busybodies who want to oppress everyone around them. Everyone has at least one reason in common with everyone else for why they own a thing - because they feel like it. Just a valid as any other reason.

No justification is needed. If I do no harm with whatever tools/items I own, who cares, and if I do somehow harm others, does owning 1, 10 or 10,000 make a difference? If I stab someone with a steak knife, does their bleeding depend on how many other steak knives are in my house? And if I never do anything but cut steak with a steak knife, does the steak slice easier if I own more or less steak knives?

It never made any sense to sensationalize people owning multiple weapons and lots of ammo. Enthusiasts of anything typically more stuff related to that thing than other people. So what?

Old 08-28-2018, 02:13 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I say its none of anyones business how many hammers, chainsaws, guns, spoons,shovels, etc. their neighbor owns, so long as the neighbor doesn't use them to do harm.
Nobody needs more than one hammer or chainsaw.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:18 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
nobody needs this much power in a desktop PC.

like many things, theres no such thing as too much.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:19 PM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
However many the law abiding citizen wants to own. You can only shoot one at a time.

Old 08-28-2018, 02:21 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
I bristle when I hear the left's incessant Why do you need mantra. I don't have to need anything in order to exercise a right.

I'm not surprised that the left have applied another label (super gun owner) to those they consider to have "too many" weapons. I guess "gun nut" expired.

Both my husband and I are gun aficionados. It's none of our neighbors' business what or how many we possess. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies