Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2018, 01:44 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
the stock market will crash, violence, dogs and cats living together....... mass hysteria.
We will all be poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2018, 01:47 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Seriously? The President of the United States is saying there will be violence if his party loses the midterms? I can't believe that there are still people supporting this idiot.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/28/polit...rms/index.html
Whatever. It's from CNN.
Quote:
"according to a recording from people in the room.."
Yeah. Right.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:54 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,808,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Yup. Just like the Dems use fear and violence to silence all voices that don’t agree with their ideology.
Actually that's Republicans and they use the full force of the law to silence and punish everyone who doesn't agree with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

A contemptible narcissistic con man, and fools still support him.
As long as he keeps stroking their rage, hatred, and bigotry, everyone will continue to worship him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I think he exaggerated the numbers of evangelical Christians in the USA as well, I am sure they were flattered ...
Evangelicals are only about 25-30% of Americans but they currently have complete control over the entire federal government and most state governments. Right now, the Southern Baptist church is the de-facto fourth branch of government.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:00 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Where did you read that? I have a hard time believing his advisors wouldn't freak out over that statement, not that he'd listen to them, of course.
He passed an Executive Order back in May 2017 that went after enforcement of the Johnson Amendment (the rule around tax exemption status for 501(c)(3) religious organizations assuming they don't "politic from the pulpit")

He has mentioned this directly in an interview with Pat Robertson on CBN last July as well as at last year's National Prayer Breakfast.

A link to the full Robertson interview:

President Trump and Pat Robertson: The Complete Interview | CBN.com

Pertinent quote "I've gotten rid of the Johnson Amendment … I signed an executive order so that now ... ministers and and preachers and rabbis and whoever it may be, they can speak. You know, you couldn’t speak politically before, now you can"

Here is the story from CBN with a clip of him mentioning it at the National Prayer Breakfast - Trump

Politifact also did a "fact check" on it (or whatever the hell they call their process):

https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-m...mendment-true/

EDIT TO ADD - And yes, like many things he claims, there are nuggets of truth and nuggets of exaggeration. It seems his EO would have little impact to the enforcement of the Johnson Amendment. I brought it up simply to show that there are rules against religious orgs doing what he told the group over dinner on Monday night...further he has mentioned before (in the links shared) that he got rid of the rules, freeing them to do what he said they should do on Monday night.

EDIT TO ADD2 - Another link https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ele...e-didn-n904471

Quote from the article "Now one of the things I'm most proud of is getting rid of the Johnson Amendment," the president said. "That was a disaster for you."

Last edited by GVoR; 08-29-2018 at 02:13 PM..

Old 08-29-2018, 02:03 PM

662 posts, read 313,195 times
More interesting than Trump making BS claims about what will happen, is that he was begging the evangelicals to go get their congregations in line to vote R for his benefit. As a former evangelical, I know that fear mongering works well with church congregations since avoiding swimming laps in a lake of fire is the main reason a lot of people believe anyway. So they are prone to hearing and believing wild proclamations about the horrors of the future if they don't do whatever the person making the claims tells them to.
To top it off, Trump flat out lied to the evangelical leaders about getting rid of a law for them. He can't get rid of a law without congress, he just wrote a memo about it that holds no weight at all. But the evangelical leaders are eating from the reality TV con man's hands.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:19 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
If only you could model yourself, but you can't.
Is that the best you have??? that's your answer??
Don't you realize it is our duty as Americans to question our political leaders so our country doesn't turn into a banana republic?
Are you seriously going to take the easy road and call what Trump said "fake news"?
I almost feel sorry for cultists because they don't think for themselves and would rather blindly follow the leader.
This president is the most immoral character for a politician I have ever seen in all my years.
He is exactly what we all don't want our kids to become.
Come on, the president of the US is telling his base to vote because the other side will get violent.
You can like what he is doing but, please don't let him change your character.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:26 PM

1,748 posts, read 2,478,689 times
Quote:
Seriously? The President of the United States is saying there will be violence if his party loses the midterms? I can't believe that there are still people supporting this idiot.

Not surprised by anything this fraud says. This man is probably the most immoral and corrupt individual ever elected to the presidency.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:28 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:

Well, there certainly has been violence after Hitlery lost. So why not violence when the tables are turned? Seems reasonable to me. It's the old, "what's good for the goose..." thing.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:39 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Actually that's Republicans and they use the full force of the law to silence and punish everyone who doesn't agree with them.
Boy you guys love to rewrite history.

It’s the left that goes crazy trying to intimidate everyone to silence whoever doesn’t agree with them. From Maxine Waters calling for her minions to harass all trump administration personnel to college students and professors shutting down all conservative voices by whatever means necessary, including violence, the left is just as guilty.

You people on the left trying to claim the high ground is a laugh. Deny all you want. You’re either lying or self deceived.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:43 PM

25,713 posts, read 18,788,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
You mean like not drink out of a straw, not drink a "sugary drink," bake a cake, etc? That sort of thing and thousands more similar?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies