Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 10:09 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,770,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
That is a big "IF". Odds are, the plan was to come up with his own interpretation of the results, to fit his agenda.

That is just in your mind lol.

I always wonder why so many people today think there is an "agenda" hiding under every corner and classroom today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 10:10 AM

19,598 posts, read 9,139,085 times
Actually, I would have no problem with my child receiving such an assignment IF race/ancestry was left out of it. (For example, the first people I would say to kill would be anyone who was over 95 and in the last stages of Alzheimer's -- color would be completely immaterial.) This assignment is similar to the 'Who would you save if a boat was sinking' discussion in a college class I attended. These kinds of discussions are very thought-provoking and the discussion would be very lively.

HOWEVER, in today's climate, expressing an unpopular opinion is reason enough (for some people) to engage in violence, so on second thought . . .

Old 08-30-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think this idea of "indoctrination" (which is really just "education") freaks out right wingers so much because they don't like people to think for themselves.

Just a general observation.

Maybe a middle schooler would be a great asset. Not already set in his/her ways... able bodied (potentially), etc.

I agree with this which is why the 12 year old Asian orphan would be my #1 pick. Lots of potential and youth on their side.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Actually, I would have no problem with my child receiving such an assignment IF race/ancestry was left out of it. Obviously very thought-provoking and the discussion would be very lively. Similar to the who would you save if a boat was sinking discussion that was in a college class I attended. (For example, the first people I would say to kill would be anyone who was over 95 and in the last stages of Alzheimer's -- color would be completely immaterial.)

HOWEVER, in today's climate, expressing an unpopular opinion is reason enough (for some people) to engage in violence, so on second thought . . .

But race, gender, religion, etc., make it more thought provoking.

The reason people IMO exclaim so much fear on discussing race and gender today (even though there really is nothing to fear) is because less people are aware of how to engage in a civilized debate or adequately explain their reasoning and POV. Controversial debates in the past were often discussed and violence was rare. I'll note that there is less violence today than there was in the past.

As I noted above, as a middle schooler I had many thought provoking assignments mostly due to being in an advanced group of learners but I often thought back then and still do today that all children would benefit from being challenged with tough questions at an earlier age. I honestly think these sorts of discussions/assignments should occur at age 10 by the 4th-5th grade.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:15 AM

10,503 posts, read 6,119,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Racist liberals trying to gauge the level of progressivism of their future voters.

They forgot "A 35 year old straight white Christian employed male".

Do you sit at your computer all day ready to jump on the 2nd post with a line about 'liberals'?

Old 08-30-2018, 10:21 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,550,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
This is the sort of "teacher" that is becoming common in state-sponsored schools. No thank you.
Same question posed to my 7 th grade class by a nun in 1969 or 1970.

No internet or social media or a 24/7 news cycle back then in the dark ages to capture the incessant public outrage to this or that and politicize it.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:23 AM

19,598 posts, read 9,139,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
But race, gender, religion, etc., make it more thought provoking.

The reason people IMO exclaim so much fear on discussing race and gender today (even though there really is nothing to fear) is because less people are aware of how to engage in a civilized debate or adequately explain their reasoning and POV. Controversial debates in the past were often discussed and violence was rare. I'll note that there is less violence today than there was in the past.

As I noted above, as a middle schooler I had many thought provoking assignments mostly due to being in an advanced group of learners but I often thought back then and still do today that all children would benefit from being challenged with tough questions at an earlier age. I honestly think these sorts of discussions/assignments should occur at age 10 by the 4th-5th grade.
But the point is that race, gender, religion IS immaterial as to who has more worth. Bringing those kinds of descriptors into that kind of discussion is just inviting very antagonistic arguments instead of meaningful discussions. Why would that kind of thing be helpful? To expose racism and bigotry? How would that be helpful, and especially if one is talking about 13-year-olds?

And before anyone answers, I do think that quizzes and other kinds of discussions to discuss/expose bigotry would be helpful, but to bring this into a 'who would you save?' and make it seem like one person's life was more valuable that another's only because of skin color or whatever -- imo, that would just invite violent responses -- and if not actual physically violent responses, it might very well invite violent and/or hateful speech.

Last edited by katharsis; 08-30-2018 at 10:53 AM..

Old 08-30-2018, 10:39 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,724,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I think this idea of "indoctrination" (which is really just "education") freaks out right wingers so much because they don't like people to think for themselves.

Just a general observation.

Not a very astute observation. The concerns I hear from the right and that I sometimes express myself is that our kids are not being taught to think for themselves, they are being taught to follow a particular ideology and to always think within the framework of that ideology.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:42 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,055,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
That is just in your mind lol.

I always wonder why so many people today think there is an "agenda" hiding under every corner and classroom today.
When the agenda conforms to your own agenda, it is harder to see it as an agenda, and not just an idea.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:49 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,055,843 times
Like most liberal endeavors, the project was totally devoid of logic. There was no choice of someone who could provide for survivability, such as a botanist, a farmer, a machinist, or an engineer, or any person as such who could help create a new vibrant community in a strange land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies