Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 12:40 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Understood, but the premise of the thread, as well as the majority of people posting herein is that 330 million people are just one bad thing away from chronic homelessness. It is against that bit of preposterous nonsense that I argue.
Yes, I'm with you on that.

Quote:
Even in the extreme cases where someone is just farked up because of a rotten childhood, external help still exists, all over the country...if you seek it out. Is it hard for the farked up person to break a cycle? Sure, maybe. Point is, even with no family/friends whatsoever, there is help for anyone who seeks. Thus, minus the severely mentally ill who don't know what planet they are on (which represents only a small portion of the homeless and an even smaller percentage of the mentally ill), chronic homelessness IS A CHOICE. It is not some random event of misfortune that the individual has no control over.
I think you're a little to facile here. Yes, it's always possible to get help, but I just think it's a lot harder than you're making it out to be.

Quote:
I am not sure why all of the blame shifting occurs to begin with. People making choices and engaging in chronic patterns of self-destructive behaviors is not something that society needs to take responsibility for. It's pure collectivist thinking that says we all must assume not just responsibility, but accountability as well, for people who constantly seek out their own destruction. The discussion itself is rent seeking, I am just not sure what particular "rent" is being sought? Are we to blindly accept that each of us is one lightning strike event away from homelessness, thus we should task the collective with somehow making homelessness comfortable, profitable and rewarding? Are we virtue signaling and demanding Leviathan take and redistribute from us that which we will not give voluntarily, thus to absolve our sins against the weaker, more self-destructive members of the collective? I mean, if it was a simple property rights, capitalist "I don't want their grubby arses in front of my store" argument, it would at least have an intellectually honest basis. But this is just some weird, desperate attempt to make us all "homeless, but for luck and good fortune" that has some rent seeking bottom line I cannot pinpoint.
Yes, I'm with you on that and there's definitely an agenda behind it, even if many of its proponents at the 'street level' aren't aware of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 10:58 PM

10,065 posts, read 7,229,638 times
Most average middle class people are not one bad circumstance away from homelessness... but if that one thing is bad enough it opens the door to more bad things & they could cascade downward pretty quickly.

Ie: you have a health crisis, then you lose your job, then your wife leaves you, then you start to suffer from depression, then you get hooked on pills, then you develop an opoid addiction, them you run out of money, stop paying your bills... THEN you're on the street.

In America we don't have very good systems to stop this. Most notably we have a health care system that will not only not stop it, but initiate and aggravate it. We have a health care system that will throw you into debilitating debt, and also throw opioid painkillers at you & help get you hooked.

Last edited by redguard57; 09-01-2018 at 11:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies