Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 08:43 PM

357 posts, read 890,891 times

Advertisements

I was inspired to pose this question after reading about Sheryl Oring's I Wish To Say project on her website. In her project, she asks people about their feelings on certain aspects of the rights protected by the first amendment. Visit the website for the full info, but it's not necessary to answer the question - all you need is your opinion (and I know a lot of you have them).

Q: In the United States, what's the proper relationship between religion and government?

Last edited by MiamiU08; 04-01-2008 at 09:02 PM.. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2008, 08:48 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Depends on the form of government...

Old 04-01-2008, 09:01 PM

357 posts, read 890,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Depends on the form of government...
I should have prefaced that with "In the United States." I'll edit the post.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:10 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
In the United States, religion is made an entirely individual matter under the umbrella of the right to a free conscience. Each of us is granted a full but strictly bounded right to whatever individual religious belief we find most compelling, or to adopt and practice no individual religious belief at all. Under such a system, there IS no actual relationship between religion and government. Government is to remain neutral on the matter, its only task being to assure that the right of each individual is adequately protected from the designs of other individuals and collections of other individuals. The government's role is to act as a policeman, not as an arbiter or partisan...

Old 04-02-2008, 06:34 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,308,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
In the United States, religion is made an entirely individual matter under the umbrella of the right to a free conscience. Each of us is granted a full but strictly bounded right to whatever individual religious belief we find most compelling, or to adopt and practice no individual religious belief at all. Under such a system, there IS no actual relationship between religion and government. Government is to remain neutral on the matter, its only task being to assure that the right of each individual is adequately protected from the designs of other individuals and collections of other individuals. The government's role is to act as a policeman, not as an arbiter or partisan...
I disagree. While I am a huge and ardent champion of Separation of Church and State. Our entire nation exists due to our forefathers personal faith in God. How they chose to believe was not important, but that they did believe and based their lives and therefore representative decisions on their faith, America became the hope of all Earthlings. Our government is not to identify and affiliate with any denomination or religion, but it is also not allowed to prevent such faiths.

I see our current "anti-religion" attitudes as being a fad just like bell-bottom jeans, or tie-dyed t-shirts. Many people, if they truly knew the freedom faith brings would change their tones. In the Christian New Testament, Christ spoke to a rich young ruler about the cost of such freedom. Many American's have turned like the ruler and walked away because they do not see the freedom faith brings.

It is not my intention here to advocate any particular faith, but rather to encourage only the discipline (cost) to follow the tenants of a faith. I just have no doubt in my Hope.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:18 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
If there is anything that can be gleaned from the intent of the framers of the Constitution, it is that our nation was founded on secular principles and not religious doctrine. The founding fathers well knew that the separation of church and state was the only way to preserve religious freedom. Religious wars had been waged in Europe over its union; and, indeed, some of the first colonists, the Pilgrims, came to America to escape state-sponsored religious persecution. Our right to worship freely, without government interference, is guaranteed by the First Amendment to the Constitution, and not by God. It is time that people of faith reconcile themselves with this fundamental fact.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:24 AM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
I believe that the gov't should play no part in religious practice, and religious practice should play no part in gov't.

As far as religion in public schools and local gov't, it should be decided by that school district or local gov't. If a small town in Mississippi wants to include prayer at the opening at each school day, then it should have the right if agreed upon by voters, administration, and the school board. If a district wishes to keep to a strictly non religious approach then that should also be allowed.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:34 AM

2,836 posts, read 3,494,717 times
That is not permissible under the Constitution. Our public schools are built and maintained at taxpayer expense to educate the people, and provide them with that knowledge necessary to be productive persons capable to fulfilling their civic responsibilities; which mandate governs the curriculum and the conduct of teachers, students and education administrators. The government, through compulsory public education, may not endorse or sponsor any religion; which would include teaching religious subjects, the conduct of religious services, or prayer either as part of the curriculum or in connection with extracurricular activities such as sports programs, school newspaper or school clubs. The prohibition against the government encouragement of religion should be distinguished, however, with the "equal access to public facilities" cases, where the government role is neutral (e.g., religious and other social groups using school facilities after hours). Compare, Epperson v. Arkansas, 393 U.S. 97 (1968) and Westside Community Bd. of Educ. v. Mergens, 496 U.S. 226 (1990).

Old 04-02-2008, 12:59 PM

2,684 posts, read 6,884,600 times
^^This is true. But the question was proper relationship, not what is and isn't constitutional. And I think the proper relationship should be decided on a case by case basis by those directly involved, not a government, or special interest group thousands of miles away.

Old 04-02-2008, 01:02 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,294 times
the proper relationship is no relationship
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies