Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 08:46 AM

6,799 posts, read 4,243,396 times

Advertisements

You know the old jokes about how MLK Blvd always seems to be in the hood..I have a hunch that this will apply to all the "Obama Blvd" that will appear over the next decades as well. Even the people who praise it will - by coincidence of course - live in the other end of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2018, 10:05 AM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
You know the old jokes about how MLK Blvd always seems to be in the hood..I have a hunch that this will apply to all the "Obama Blvd" that will appear over the next decades as well. Even the people who praise it will - by coincidence of course - live in the other end of the city.
Do you mean closer to Wall Street, Bank Blvd., or Koch $u(%er Avenue?

Old 09-01-2018, 11:36 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
It is probably hidden under a red and white Target logo. Or was it in the parking lot before a McDonald's was built on top of it?

Do you think the Baha'is left a lane in for the Rodeo Bowl for historic preservation?
Oooo, it's been a while. I didn't know about the McDonalds...

Old 09-01-2018, 12:18 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,152,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I was suprised a couple of years ago when I saw white parents and kids going into Baldwin Hills Elementary. The return of white folks to western Obama BLVD already happened and will turn Los Angeles into an outlier in the general King and Obama story nationwide

Old 09-01-2018, 02:47 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
While I did not agree with his politics I am confident in saying that a man like McCain would never befriend an idiot and crook like trump. McCain always behaved like a mature adult unlike the Cheeto.

It also seems that this thread is reeking of racist undertones, much like the Cheeto's supporters and those that constantly attack Garcetti.

Obama was a REAL president who helped get this country back on its feet. The only things the Cheeto is doing is lining the pockets of the rich and restoring white supremacy.

As a a white American male I do not fear people of color nor do I need that small handed piece of white trash from Forest Hills ruining this country. Back in NYC we all knew Cheeto was a boneheaded crook who made his money by cheating others. He wreaked havoc in the NYC real estate market and almost single handedly destroyed Atlantic City.

Renaming a street after Obama is the LEAST he deserves.
McCain was a terrible presidential candidate and a spotlight-seeking senator who never saw a global conflict he didn't want us to have bombed harder...and sooner. No, he did not always behave like a mature adult -- far from it.

As for calling Trump a cheeto, why is it you are going after a racial characteristic of his? FFS if you want to criticize him, do so, but at least stick to one of his myriad deficiencies and not his racial characteristics. When we read criticisms of his hair and skin tone, we are reminded of race. Race should not be a characteristic one makes fun of as it is immutable, unless of course, it is now ok to make fun of others due to their racial characteristics. Oh I forgot, it's not racist if a person is white.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic59 View Post
As a a white American male I do not fear people of color nor do I need that small handed piece of white trash from Forest Hills ruining this country.
Please end the virtue signaling. No one cares. If you do not fear any POCs, you are not sane. Some are scary and you know it. I don't need to read "yeah, but not all" either. It is as if you feel others who are unenlightened like yourself, fear POC. Good grief, get a grip.

As for Obama "deserving" a street named after him, know that that is very debatable.

Last edited by LuvSouthOC; 09-01-2018 at 04:02 PM..

Old 09-01-2018, 03:31 PM

Well it is Los Angeles where the political flyers, mailed by city councilmen with Barack Obama's picture are now about double the number of those with Bill Clinton and JFK combined

Old 09-01-2018, 03:35 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
I was suprised a couple of years ago when I saw white parents and kids going into Baldwin Hills Elementary. The return of white folks to western Obama BLVD already happened and will turn Los Angeles into an outlier in the general King and Obama story nationwide
True . The L.A market is an outlier in the national real estate market .

In most of America cities have to improve for property values to go up .
Not in L.A if the general market is going up every area will go up . It does seem like South L.A has been changing for the better in certain areas people desire to be closed to downtown now and it’s a lot different than even the early 2000s and especially the 90s. It’s a big area with various neighborhoods of course .

Old 09-01-2018, 03:40 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
McCain was a terrible presidential canditate and a spotlight-seeking senator who never saw a global conflict he didn't want us to have bombed harder...and sooner. No, he did not always behave like a mature adult -- far from it.

As for calling Trump a cheeto, why is it you are going after a racial characteristic of his? FFS if you want to criticize him, do so, but at least stick to one of his myriad deficiencies and not his racial characteristics. When we read criticisms of his hair and skin tone, we are reminded of race. Race should not be a characteristic one makes fun of as it is immutable, unless of course, it is now ok to make fun of others due to their racial characteristics. Oh I forgot, it's not racist if a person is white.

Please end the virtue signaling. No one cares. If you do not fear any POCs, you are not sane. Some are scary and you know it. I don't need to read "yeah, but not all" either. It is as if you feel others who are unenlightened like yourself, fear POC. Good grief, get a grip.

As for Obama "deserving" a street named after him, know that that is very debatable.
Yeah I never saw the appeal of McCain myself . He had that “maverick “ label years ago but I didn’t really get the hype . He also seemed to be pretty corrupt with the Keating scandal .. which I noticed hasn’t been brought up at all in the media recently .

The media is fawning over McCain purely because he hated Trump and was one of the never Trumpers.
Perhaps the most notorious and aggressive of the bunch

Even Ted Cruz and Rubio came around to some degree . McCain also supported a bombing that killed about 500,000 Cambodians including many children . As you mentioned he was a very pro war type . He also said many racist things about Asians which I won’t repeat her . But of course the media is willing to overlook all that .. because he hated Trump

Old 09-01-2018, 03:56 PM

1,616 posts, read 2,490,444 times
Quote:
McCain was a terrible presidential canditate and a spotlight-seeking senator who never saw a global conflict he didn't want us to have bombed harder...and sooner. No, he did not always behave like a mature adult -- far from it.

I stated that I did not agree with his politics. I refer to his personal behavior and his presentation when I mention his maturity. As opposed to the current "president" whose behavior most closely resembles that of a petulant 10 year old.
As for the use of the term "cheeto", I employ it in the sense of representing something full of air and little substance that is colored orange. A sub par spray on tan is not a racial characteristic. It signals a vain, superficial ignorance. If I were making a racial statement I might say something like "trump is an embarassment to white Americans with European ancestry and humans in general."
Also, I really don't have the time or energy to attack all of his other deficiencies.

Quote:

This is a forum, where we all come to express our thoughts. You are not the arbiter of what should or should not be posted. Fine, YOU don't care. Then block me. I don't care to hear you and your cronies constant whining about other races, liberals, everyone encroaching on your little fiefdoms, but you have every right to post that drivel on this forum.
As for MY fears, I fear wealthy, conservative, racist, narrow minded Americans who use their wealth to manipulate this country to fit their perverted desires. They cause way more damage than "POC". Having worked in neighborhoods and with people you (and your buddies) constantly demean, I understand where their anger and frustration comes from. I have also witnessed the fact that white trash is just as unsavory and destructive as "POC". Dangerous people come in all colors and socioeconomic levels. The Cheeto has proven that beyond any doubt.

Also, I have a very good grip. What I don't have is the siege mentality exhibited all too frequently by a number of the posters that have repeatedly attempted to hijack the threads on this forum.

There is nothing debatable about Obama's accomplishments meriting recognition. The statistics and records abound that have proven that. Unless you just hate the fact that a black man became president.

Old 09-01-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
True . The L.A market is an outlier in the national real estate market .

In most of America cities have to improve for property values to go up .
Not in L.A if the general market is going up every area will go up . It does seem like South L.A has been changing for the better in certain areas people desire to be closed to downtown now and it’s a lot different than even the early 2000s and especially the 90s. It’s a big area with various neighborhoods of course .
Martin Luther King runs from Central Ave near Jefferson High School and turned Latino long ago past the Coliseum and angles to Jackie Robinson Stadium next to Dorsey High School an area which remains mostly black. Obama starts just before Arlington intersects with King just before La Brea and the grandchildren of those who fled west of La Brea are mostly who are buying in now.

As I said in last year's thread I wonder if Culver City would change the name once you cross Jefferson and the city limits line
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies