Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 03:32 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I guess you don't understand english or the markets that well since I said that is "where they start" as opposed to you claiming that the market is somehow just one or two indexes with a few hundred stocks.
I never said the market is a few hundred stocks. I said you can move the market by focusing on the major ones; ones that many of the indexes track.

Quote:

And don't be stupid, I never said the 2008 meltdown didn't happen, why make things up that you know I didn't say. You know full well its the biased explanation from your biased source that I question. Not so rich when you are being honest and not being intentionally obtuse.
The source is irrelevant. All I'm calling attention to is the event. If I say the Warriors won the NBA Championship and posted an ESPN link; and you immediately dismissed ESPN. You are making it seems like you are disagreeing with the news. Perhaps it's hard to tell what you are dismissing in the era of right-wingers constantly calling facts fake news.

So then what? The stock market crashed in 2008 due to one president and it can be completely dismissed by saying one article is biased?

Quote:
I'm focused on what I have issues with in this thread, and that is the OPs original comment claiming the POTUS impacts their retirement account. If you don't like the focus, stop asking me to clarify then, how obvious is that?

Many people's retirement accounts were impacted by the 2008 crash. Not everyone is young and can wait it out, you know.

The Recession Hurt Americans' Retirement Accounts More Than Anybody Knew

Knowing you, you'll probably just say. "The Atlantic is biased!!" and then just leave it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 03:38 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The standard rebuttal to anything negative about Trump or his policies is "But Obama." Personally, I saw a huge difference after W left. My 401K grew back enough for me to retire finally, and all of my children were able to find jobs paying living wages and pay off their college loans. How did you do?

Is this what you remember, or not...?

https://tericarter.wordpress.com/201...g-under-obama/
The economy tanked under Obama’s relentless regulations. I lost my healthcare insurance over his lies. Allowed Russia to do whatever they wanted in Syria. Gave a nation that sponsors terrorism money.. Shal I go on?

Old 08-30-2018, 03:54 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I never said the market is a few hundred stocks. I said you can move the market by focusing on the major ones; ones that many of the indexes track.

The source is irrelevant. All I'm calling attention to is the event. If I say the Warriors won the NBA Championship and posted an ESPN link; and you immediately dismissed ESPN. You are making it seems like you are disagreeing with the news. Perhaps it's hard to tell what you are dismissing in the era of right-wingers constantly calling facts fake news.

So then what? The stock market crashed in 2008 due to one president and it can be completely dismissed by saying one article is biased?

Many people's retirement accounts were impacted by the 2008 crash. Not everyone is young and can wait it out, you know.

The Recession Hurt Americans' Retirement Accounts More Than Anybody Knew

Knowing you, you'll probably just say. "The Atlantic is biased!!" and then just leave it.

You are all over the place and misrepresenting (I believe intentionally) what I've said, so lets level set on what I am saying:
  1. POTUS does not control the market, I assign no positive or negative credit of the market to the POTUS (regardless of party D/R)
  2. The term "the markets" does not apply to any handful of individual stocks, its every domestic equity
  3. The markets move in cycles, independent of lever pulling of the POTUS

Old 08-30-2018, 04:00 PM

5,129 posts, read 2,597,200 times
I didnt suffer under Obama...Im not suffering under Trump because I have very in-demand IT skills. Never stop upgrading your skillset.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:02 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
I'm not too sure cuz I have had a weathered life and really the president is more about image which is why simply being a Republican or Democrat probably doesn't matter too much. I might be a registered Democrat but personality is really all that matters with a president at the end of the day. There are little things I guess that they have control over that makes a bit of difference. We seemed to be doing well under Clinton. Jobs were plentiful to get. Bush and Obama were more or less the same. Obama did better with social issues I think but as far as financial matters I didn't see that much of a difference except with health care. I didn't have health care until Obama. If I had gone back to therapy I probably wouldn't have been able to afford it.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:34 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
The economy tanked under Obama’s relentless regulations. I lost my healthcare insurance over his lies. Allowed Russia to do whatever they wanted in Syria. Gave a nation that sponsors terrorism money.. Shal I go on?
He was the worst moron to ever be in office then Bush 1 and 2 were next with their fails wars and highest oil prices.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:48 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,233,267 times
Quote:
You are all over the place and misrepresenting (I believe intentionally) what I've said, so lets level set on what I am saying:
  1. POTUS does not control the market, I assign no positive or negative credit of the market to the POTUS (regardless of party D/R)
  2. The term "the markets" does not apply to any handful of individual stocks, its every domestic equity
  3. The markets move in cycles, independent of lever pulling of the POTUS

- While the POTUS does not control the market, he has massive influence on it. Sometimes his policies can even crash it like the 2008 meltdown.

- What the term market means is irrelevant to the fact that a president can move market. See above.

- It is incorrect to say the market moves independently of the lever pulling of the POTUS (again, see 2008 and also see the current ups and downs due to the Trump tariff). The market, overtime, does even out the bad lever pull with the good lever pull; but only those young enough at this point in time to "ride it out" can afford to ignore the lever-pulling. For those who are approaching retirement, this presidential lever pulling can have a great affect on their retirement funds. So they should care A LOT about who is in charge. As one gets closer and closer to retirement; one should care more and more about who is the president.

Old 08-30-2018, 04:53 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,977,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
- While the POTUS does not control the market, he has massive influence on it. Sometimes his policies can even crash it like the 2008 meltdown.

- What the term market means is irrelevant to the fact that a president can move market. See above.

- It is incorrect to say the market moves independently of the lever pulling of the POTUS (again, see 2008 and also see the current ups and downs due to the Trump tariff). The market, overtime, does even out the bad lever pull with the good lever pull; but only those young enough at this point in time to "ride it out" can afford to ignore the lever-pulling. For those who are approaching retirement, this presidential lever pulling can have a great affect on their retirement funds. So they should care A LOT about who is in charge. As one gets closer and closer to retirement; one should care more and more about who is the president.

Well at least you made it easy to reply, you are pretty much wrong about everything in the above post, especially to say that the POTUS has "massive influence" on the market. Thats actually beyond absurd.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:05 PM

10,456 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
The standard rebuttal to anything negative about Trump or his policies is "But Obama." Personally, I saw a huge difference after W left. My 401K grew back enough for me to retire finally, and all of my children were able to find jobs paying living wages and pay off their college loans. How did you do?

Is this what you remember, or not...?

https://tericarter.wordpress.com/201...g-under-obama/
Since he passed Obamacare, my health insurance premiums went up from $12 a week to $56. My regular doctor co-pay went from $10 to $35, my prescriptions went from $3 to $7. My hospital deductible went from $500 to $10000.

He's sent race relations back 50 years with his comment about Trayvon could have been his son, and tried to paint a target on police backs when it wasn't even a cop that killed Trayvon, not to mention why is Trayvon worth his attention, but not the 64,000 Black kids that have gone missing in the District of Columbia/Baltimore area combined? Or what about the constant Black people murdered on a daily basis in Chicago, where he used to be the Senator of?

Why did he allow an American ambassador to be slain on foreign soil when they cried for help and were constantly denied.

Why would he say Osama Bin Laden is dead, but then give us this crap story that he had the turd thrown into the ocean instead of letting us get the chance to view and spit on the body? To this day, I still think Obama lied about that one, and that Osama Bin Laden has been dead since before Bush was running for second term.

His key campaign promises were doing something about NAFTA, since everyone knows that is the biggest job killer in the USA, and bringing the USA home from all of these ridiculous Middle Eastern wars. He backed out of tackling NAFTA, and then pulled our troops out of Iraq and sent them to strike Syria, Libya, Yemen, Somalia and Pakistan, while also remaining in Afghanistan. His entire presidency had the United States in some kind of war or conflict. I'm just tired of the wars, and want our soldiers home so we can rest and have some peace for once.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:37 PM

37,180 posts, read 19,200,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
In what way? That is exactly opposite of every indicator I am aware of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies