Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 10:57 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,809,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
In my experience quite the opposite is true.
I would agree, especially in the middle of the country where getting to more populated areas is more difficult. I currently live in rural America and try to vacation in a big city at least once per year but it's typically Dallas or Kansas City or on a special occasion, Austin. Getting to the coasts from where I live is a rare occurrence.

And yes, I hate the bubble mentality of rural America. I think the mindset in rural America, especially the Bible Belt, is far more based in tribalism and collectivism than in urban areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 10:59 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Definitely - it isn't new for some folks to never leave their backyard. I know a woman who has only known working in New York City and living in New Jersey -- and when we talk issues that is very clear.

The discussion so far in this thread further highlights my point -- what we all think of as 'normal', the way things are -- differs so much.

But accusing folks in New York City or Los Angeles of being 'coastal elitists' because they see the world one way --- is myopic. Midwest folks, small town folks, rural folks see the world THEIR way -- they don't know life in the city...and no you don't get to 'know' by a week long visit to a city.

Living as a tourist in a city -- is not experiencing a city like a resident.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:01 AM

I've only had the pleasure of going to New York City three times.

The first time I went and stayed with a family in Queens. I did some of the touristy stuff and then I just hung out with the family.

Next two times I stayed in the city and did the full on tourist thing.

My first experience was very different and I had a different New York experience. We didn't dine out a lot -- we commuted to and from Manhattan during rush hours, didn't just visit the downtown flag ship stores...had to run errands around the city.....very different.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:04 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Coastal people are more bubblish due to the fact they don't often visit other parts of the country. Most NYC elitists wont even leave Manhattan or gentrified parts of Brooklyn. They have more experience with other similar places like Paris and London than with Kansas or Tennessee or even small town PA. Rural dwellers, on the other hand, often vacation to big coastal cities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstarling View Post
In my experience quite the opposite is true.
Mine also. I've been all over the country and world and have always lived on the coast.

People who live in NYC travel all the time. You know how they've got two big airports, two big train stations and lots of cars? Everyone I knew in NYC traveled more than the average American, and had the income to afford it.

How often do those in rural areas travel to other parts of the country or internationally?

Old 08-30-2018, 11:04 AM

19,622 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Interesting -- because I feel that many folks never left the midwest and lived someplace else and most people in New York City, LA, Boston, Chicago, etc. are from some place else.

They bring their midwest, upper state, southeast upbringings to their coastal elite or urban elite homes.
How does that work? I don't see much down home hospitality in LA or Boston. People who move to major cities dive right into that city lifestyle.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I would agree, especially in the middle of the country where getting to more populated areas is more difficult. I currently live in rural America and try to vacation in a big city at least once per year but it's typically Dallas or Kansas City or on a special occasion, Austin. Getting to the coasts from where I live is a rare occurrence.

And yes, I hate the bubble mentality of rural America. I think the mindset in rural America, especially the Bible Belt, is far more based in tribalism and collectivism than in urban areas.
I think that the bubble mentality of any area is not good for us.

I can't speak to if it is worse in rural America than in the urban centers or on the coast. I know it exists in both areas.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:08 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
I am not a fan of this article. It's basically the author claiming he's better than his completely backwards and stereotyped rural Midwestern hometown. Yes, there are a lot of Trump supporters in those places, but discussions about treating Muslims and LGBTQ+ people with respect, or going to college or trade school or joining the military, still occur there as well. It's not a monolith like the coastal elites like to pretend.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
How does that work? I don't see much down home hospitality in LA or Boston. People who move to major cities dive right into that city lifestyle.
Funny because I love a big city and have found the people that live and work in those cities to friendly.

Sometimes in smaller communities they aren't so open to outsiders.

When I was in NYC the last time i was in line for coffee and it was with a bunch of people who work and live in Manhattan, the line was long and there was a problem and we all chatted and shared experiences and talked about what life was like in Manhattan being a worker bee (there were by no means the upper echelon -- sure they were comfortable but it was a Saturday morning and these folks worked in law firms and were working all week end).

I've been in small towns in the south and smiled and chatted and my openness was met with the death stare.

It's situational for me.

When I said they bring their upbringings -- I didn't mean necessarily they brought their 'down home' values -- visiting neighbors and hanging out in the general store (lol) -- I meant they brought the principles they were brought up with. Like the guy in the article who is now in Washington DC -- he has brought his Midwest values to the city and adapted.

Lots of coastal voters have lived in the midwest.
Lots of midwest folks have never lived anywhere but the midwest.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:12 AM

19,622 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Mine also. I've been all over the country and world and have always lived on the coast.

People who live in NYC travel all the time. You know how they've got two big airports, two big train stations and lots of cars? Everyone I knew in NYC traveled more than the average American.

How often do those in rural areas travel to other parts of the country or internationally?
They don't go to small rural towns in the US unless it is some kind of vacation area. There is nothing to do there, and I don't think city elites take road trips. But THAT is how you see real America.

Rural and small town people who can afford it do take vacations to the cities. That is the first thing restless rural kids want to do when they are old enough - see the city lights.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
I am not a fan of this article. It's basically the author claiming he's better than his completely backwards and stereotyped rural Midwestern hometown. Yes, there are a lot of Trump supporters in those places, but discussions about treating Muslims and LGBTQ+ people with respect, or going to college or trade school or joining the military, still occur there as well. It's not a monolith like the coastal elites like to pretend.
I don't love everything in the article.
I clearly stated that.

But I do think he has some good talking points -- and jumping off points.

Just after the election some of the rhetoric was -- coastal elites don't know what life is like in real America.

That was pretty insulting. Whether or not you are new to New York or lived there all your life...you are as American as the guy in somewhere, midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies