Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 11:55 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,589,940 times

Advertisements

Actually wasnt the worst thing Ive read. Much less arrogant "holier than thou" than I was expecting.

I disagree, but actually, not horribly written.

For hure arroagance and holier than thou, see the Max Kellerman spew on ESPN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 11:58 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,058,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Really? NC is the 9th most populated state in the USA. Bigger than Michigan & New Jersey. Maybe you missed a few things on the way.
Ever been to Eastern NC? You get outside the Triangle, The Triad and Charlotte and its pretty rural. Two towns north of where I live (Youngsville and Franklinton are pretty rural and I'm in a fully fledged, developed suburb)

Not sure I would even call Greenville or Goldsboro hopping let alone Faulkland and Bath. 64 East takes you through what I would think most people would consider "rural".

YMMV

Old 08-30-2018, 11:59 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Sometimes I wonder if any of you actually talk to your neighbors. I grew up in Dayton and moved to California in my late twenties. My next door neighbor in California had an unusual name I had heard before. Turns out he was related to my next door neighbor in Dayton. The guy two doors down was from Springfield, and the school librarian was raised on a farm in Butler County. Here in Colorado, my kid's chemistry teacher is also from small town Ohio, the librarian is from Urbana, and the history teacher's sister lives in the same Dayton suburb I grew up in. I can't escape my Ohio roots. They're everywhere I turn!
Yes, but the predominant culture is the native culture.

I'm from the rust belt part of Ohio. No place has seen a mass exodus to first CA then later the Carolinas and Florida as my part of the state.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Actually wasnt the worst thing Ive read. Much less arrogant "holier than thou" than I was expecting.

I disagree, but actually, not horribly written.

For hure arroagance and holier than thou, see the Max Kellerman spew on ESPN.
It's not over-the-top elitist despite the smattering of TDS points.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:02 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,808,426 times
Everyone has a bubble - true. Just don't tell me what my bubble should look like.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:04 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
So a bunch of bubble people just went off on other bubble people telling them they are more bubbly.

Just because you travel somewhere doesn't mean you are there long enough to understand anyone who lives there. Goes both for coastal elitists who've been to the Kentucky Derby and Texas gun nuts who've been to Times Square once. You know absolutely nothing about either culture in both cases.

Old 08-30-2018, 12:35 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,868,942 times
When I was 15, I moved from Flint, MI to Helena, MT.

No body at the school would accept me, prolly cuz they didn't walk, talk, or act anything like me.

I made a good fast friend right off the bat, though, with a guy who just moved in from Wichita, KS.

We were both rejected, but on the way home from school every day, he tutored me by impersonating Andy Griffith and Foghorn Leghorn. I cracked up on the way home every day. (I had never seen either of them.)

So, one day, I asked him if everyone in Wichita talks like him - he had a twang.

He said yes.

I asked if people in Wichita had TV.

He said yeah, and everyone has one.

I said, do they watch CBS news?

He said, yeah, they all do.

So, finally, I asked him why didn't that cause them all to talk normal, like me.

He said it was because when they watch TV, they regard that as TV talk, not normal talk.

I got my education in the best places.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 08-30-2018 at 12:50 PM..

Old 08-30-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Everyone has a bubble - true. Just don't tell me what my bubble should look like.
Here in SoCal are bubbles are straw-free, plastic bag-free, and reek of urine/feces.

That's just how we roll.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:39 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
LOL -- I live in the Charleston SC area -- everyone seems to have left Ohio -- folks from OHIO everywhere.

First time we stopped in at a fast food chain in Summerville, SC -- college football day and most of the folks had Ohio State gear on -- lol. They weren't together -- it was purely coincidental. Some local person made a crack about it and there was a good laugh in the restaurant.

LOL.
I'm from Ohio. I still love the North Coast and go back when I get the chance. Once you get older the winters wear on you. That's why people move.

Old 08-30-2018, 01:42 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Best leave us alone in our bubble or we will make a new one. Don't poke the bear in other words.

You liberals think you can screw with our world and our reality? You exist at our pleasure. Just remember that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies