Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2018, 12:11 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
By all accounts the US has been very open and flexible, with the exception of the NAFTA loophole which has to be closed. Canada on the other hand has refused to make any concessions at all. In addition Canada has been insulting, disrespectful and combative. I feel bad for the Canadian people, but what happens to Canada will be a direct result of Justin's incompetence and TDS.

That's a lot of nonsense that's been made up by Trump and you know it. I think you're just repeating stuff like that to jerk people's chains and you're just fooling yourself if you hope if you keep on saying it then it will become the truth. Who, besides the dumbed down Trump cultists, do you think is stupid enough to believe it? Everyone knows that Trump is the one that has been unreasonable, ignorant, insulting, disrespectful and combative, and not only towards Canada. He's been an uncivilized bully like that for decades and anyone who supports that kind of barbaric behaviour is no better than Trump. I feel bad for all the American people that have been and are still being suckered by him. Good grief!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2018, 12:25 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
By all accounts the US has been very open and flexible, with the exception of the NAFTA loophole which has to be closed. Canada on the other hand has refused to make any concessions at all. In addition Canada has been insulting, disrespectful and combative. I feel bad for the Canadian people, but what happens to Canada will be a direct result of Justin's incompetence and TDS.
Your interpretation is interesting and doesn't come with any facts. I appreciate your feelings but 'feel' differently given the fact that.....

Trump has admitted saying that he had no intention of negotiating. It was off the record, but he stands by it.

That suggests to me Trump had no intention of making any concessions.

Back in May, there was a good deal on the table -- ready for closing but the USA decided to throw in the sun set clause -- that they KNEW was a deal breaker.

Trump is trying to pretend that this is a long, hard battle -- so when he gets a deal that is not much different than before he can claim some great victory after such a tough negotiation process.

It doesn't have to be that tough.

He makes it tough -- and his fans play along.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:08 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Quote:
Your ignorance is amazing. Separate emotion from this issue and you'll see it's quite the opposite. It's Canada that's refusing to share the wealth. They want to protect their dairy, ag, lumber, banking, telcom industries, while we get to protect none. That's not fair.
Its necessary. The US economy dwarves other nations by factors of scale, so countries like mine need these systems in place so that we can HAVE an economy...not just be USA-lite.

I saw an interview with a US dairy farmer who said that they should emulate Canada's supply management system. They know thier industry is broken, they know they're taking subsidies to cover the cost of overproduction, the overproduction that they want to send to Canada, and then put OUR dairy guys out of work. Nobody tells you that in the US news programs I'll bet.

This is why there is a 300% tariff. It's to discourage AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE the Canadian dairy industry to become flooded with too much product. Otherwise, we would have no dairy industry here. Capish?

Old 09-03-2018, 01:38 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,405 times
Here's a story about a family-owned American dairy farm who may lose their livelihood because they can no longer sell to...where? Canada. I swear this is true.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/dairy-...rump-1.4081391

In a nutshell, they can't sell their product in their own country because there are too many dairy farmers.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:45 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Its necessary. The US economy dwarves other nations by factors of scale, so countries like mine need these systems in place so that we can HAVE an economy...not just be USA-lite.

I saw an interview with a US dairy farmer who said that they should emulate Canada's supply management system. They know thier industry is broken, they know they're taking subsidies to cover the cost of overproduction, the overproduction that they want to send to Canada, and then put OUR dairy guys out of work. Nobody tells you that in the US news programs I'll bet.

This is why there is a 300% tariff. It's to discourage AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE the Canadian dairy industry to become flooded with too much product. Otherwise, we would have no dairy industry here. Capish?
That one doesn't care because parroting the talking points Trump gives him is his chosen career choice.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-fr...dairy-tariffs/

Trump doesn't even bother to inform himself of world events, much less the facts of any issue he's chosen as his cause-celebre. Stupid is as stupid does.

Old 09-03-2018, 01:56 PM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Trump doesn't even bother to inform himself of world events, much less the facts of any issue he's chosen as his cause-celebre. Stupid is as stupid does.

Worse. He brags about just making stuff up.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-03-2018, 05:13 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
That one doesn't care because parroting the talking points Trump gives him is his chosen career choice.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-fr...dairy-tariffs/

Yes if Americans only knew that dairy farmers' biggest problem is not exporting -- it is its producing product in their own country.

The USA has a trade surplus with dairy.

Nobody is taking advantage of the USA dairy industry.....

But Trump doesn't know that.

Old 09-03-2018, 06:06 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Yes if Americans only knew that dairy farmers' biggest problem is not exporting -- it is its producing product in their own country.

The USA has a trade surplus with dairy.

Nobody is taking advantage of the USA dairy industry.....

But Trump doesn't know that.
Trump not knowing would confirm his lack of intellect-based curiosity.

Trump knowing and stating publicly the contrary falsehood simply confirms he's a liar.

Either way; it is Americans themselves who will pay the biggest price for allowing, indeed, even encouraging his willful intransigence.

Old 09-04-2018, 09:31 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post

Just so that everybody is on the same page. It's not a 300% tariff across the board. It's much more complicated than that.

"Canada has a quota system for imports, and above a certain volume, it imposes high dairy tariffs ranging from 201.5 percent to 313.5 percent. Before those quotas are met, dairy products enter Canada duty-free or subject to much lower rates."

"Many U.S. dairy products imported into Canada are not subject to the over-quota tariffs, though. A spokesperson for Agriculture Canada told TheDCNF in an email that most dairy products imported into Canada enter within tariff rate quotas."...

http://checkyourfact.com/2018/06/11/...-tariff-dairy/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies