Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2008, 06:43 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times

Advertisements

How about that the levels of chemicals in secondhand smoke virtually never exceed occupational health and safety standards and the same chemicals are often found in higher concentrations from cooking processes like barbecuing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 06:46 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Business owners "suffering" under no smoking regulations can still elect to take money only from smokers, if they so desire.

They have that freedom.
Sure - so, that is why I support posting their POLICY - which could say - "No Smoking" or "Smoking"

Then, let the customers decide if they want to patronize the business

Old 02-28-2008, 06:46 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
How about that the levels of chemicals in secondhand smoke virtually never exceed occupational health and safety standards and the same chemicals are often found in higher concentrations from cooking processes like barbecuing?
Source?

I'll certainly remind myself in the future to barbecue outdoors.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:47 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
Quote:
Source?

I'll certainly remind myself in the future to barbecue outdoors.
But, many resturants BBQ INDOORS!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:49 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sure - so, that is why I support posting their POLICY - which could say - "No Smoking" or "Smoking"

Then, let the customers decide if they want to patronize the business
I'm noticing a pattern here. You see we are trying to back up our claims and people from our side have not been afraid to go into length when we feel the need. I think we just need to make blanket subjective claims phrased in the glibbest terms possible and use plenty of smilies...

I can smoke if I want and if you don't like it, poo on you!

Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I'm noticing a pattern here. You see we are trying to back up our claims and people from our side have not been afraid to go into length when we feel the need. I think we just need to make blanket subjective claims phrased in the glibbest terms possible and use plenty of smilies...

I can smoke if I want and if you don't like it, poo on you!

No one says you can't smoke. Just step outside. Enjoy!

But everyone would be so much happier if you smokers would just hold the whining to a minimum.

Old 02-28-2008, 06:57 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,168,876 times
Quote:

But everyone would be so much happier if you smokers would just hold the whining to a minimum.
I'm not a smoker.. but I would have to wager that the whining really started with non-smokers. Then it progressed to blanket bans. That's like firing a torpedo into another nation.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:01 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Originally Posted by Nomander Nope, they cannot live independently.
So if they "cannot live independently", that means someone is taking care of them right? Wait, didn't you say that nobody is taking care of them a while back? Which is it? Are they all alone with nobody to take care of them or are they being cared for because they "cannot live independently"? If they "cannot live independently", then that means they have someone who can shop for them, cook for them, pick them up food, etc... So how is it a necessity to go to a restaurant?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
I never claimed to have anything against the smell of smoke.
I prefer to rather be safe than sorry, but I assume you find this illlogical.
Then again I find addiction illogical and a sign of stupidity.
Most addictions lead to people becoming illogical and stupid anyway since they seem to be consumed with the (all consuming) desire for their choice of poison.
Denial often is the first sign that people are addicted.
No, you made claims about it being unhealthy. You suggested by claiming so that it was regulated because it was a danger to people. There is no conclusive evidence to support that and I along with others here have provided quite a bit of facts to show this is the case.

A sign of stupidity is acting on what you don't know (Ignorance + Arrogance = stupidity). Making assumptions without knowing the facts and then using those assumptions to strip rights away, tax people, and take control is what stupid people go along with and what power seekers thrive on. Safe than sorry is a cop out. Its just an excuse the is supposed to evade the fact that a person has no clue about the issue, but still wants to push their will on it personally.

Oh, I bet you didn't know that I don't smoke? Kinda takes the steam out of that last few statements, doesn't it?

Last edited by Nomander; 02-28-2008 at 07:11 AM..

Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,950,358 times
Quote:

Your position places a condition on people. They can do this or that, as long as they seek your approval first. They aren't giving you a condition, they are saying you have a choice to decide. Those choices may not be what you "want", but nobody is telling you what to do or giving you conditions as to which choices you can make.

Your free to choose, as long as its my choice. Can you not see the contradiction in that statement? Yet that is exactly what you are doing.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:10 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Originally Posted by Kuharai
Quote:
I'm not a smoker.. but I would have to wager that the whining really started with non-smokers.
I don't whine I just disagree.
I guess lotsa people see disagreeing as a form of whining.
I just call myself very opinionated and use the right (or on this board the privilege) to express myself.

Quote:
If they "cannot live independently", then that means they have someone who can shop for them, cook for them, pick them up food, etc... So how is it a necessity to go to a restaurant?
Many hospitals and institutions have cafeterias which I consider the same as restaurants.

Quote:
No, you made claims about it being unhealthy.
True but I also said that it is better to be safe than to be sorry.
Maybe I have missed it but nobody proved that smoking can only be good for your health or that smoking enhances your health.

Quote:
Oh, I bet you didn't know that I don't smoke? Kinda takes the steam out of that last few statements, doesn't it?
I don't care whether you smoke or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies