Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 07:51 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Now, they will resort to robotic ticket-takers, robotic ride greeters and ordering from tablets in their expensive restaurants.
Disney World already has kiosk ordering and Disneyland has pre-orders on their AP already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purpleplains17 View Post
Because people don’t want to have crappy neighbors. Most of us wouldn’t have any a public house building in our area. Many people don’t do it out of greed but out of fear.
It is a lot of fear. It is about specific groups moving in and not low income people in general.

Old 09-02-2018, 08:17 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,084,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I saw they are bringing liquor to the park. I guess they have decided to pay for the wage increases by getting in the very lucrative liquor sales business.
What could go wrong?

Old 09-02-2018, 11:00 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,956,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
50% of Americans have no investments in the stock market. You think these Disney employees have a 401k - HA. These people are just trying to pay rent month to month.

Back in the old days of this country, customers knew where their money was going.
It was the business owner and workers mostly.

Today, customers money is going to many third parties.
Customers pay a cut to wall street, they pay a cut to the government, they pay a cut to insurance companies.

In in the spirit of capitalism and transparency, the pay going to wall street, ceo's and insurance companies should be included in the the bill so that consumers know where their money is going.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So then go build yourself a tin shack and see how many code violations you rack up before you have to upgrade it to a non-third world solution.
Code Violations were created by wealthy people to limit housing.
Who do you think will report you if you build a tin shack next to their mansion?

Old 09-03-2018, 09:27 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
Who do you think will report you if you build a tin shack next to their mansion?
Yup, keep making excuses. There are 101 reasons why "cheap" housing to the level of tin shacks do not exist here in the US. Even the simplest of economic an basic safety understanding can help you understand why. If you would rather make excuses, I don't have a rebuttal for that other than to say I'm tired of everyone having excuses and no solutions, but those are the folks our politicians depend on. Them keeping people stupid is what gets them votes that they scare you into making.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Back in the old days of this country, customers knew where their money was going.
It was the business owner and workers mostly.

Today, customers money is going to many third parties.
Customers pay a cut to wall street, they pay a cut to the government, they pay a cut to insurance companies.

In in the spirit of capitalism and transparency, the pay going to wall street, ceo's and insurance companies should be included in the the bill so that consumers know where their money is going.
Well yeah, but this was back when we were in the 1700's and 1800's. The turn of the 1900's brought more and more larger scale companies. Some brought about the anti-trust acts signed by President Theodore Roosevelt. Not defending it, but it seems to be the way it has been, is right now and will be for sometime.

Quote:
Indeed, it was a protection to land owners, especially the more wealthy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Yup, keep making excuses. There are 101 reasons why "cheap" housing to the level of tin shacks do not exist here in the US. Even the simplest of economic an basic safety understanding can help you understand why. If you would rather make excuses, I don't have a rebuttal for that other than to say I'm tired of everyone having excuses and no solutions, but those are the folks our politicians depend on. Them keeping people stupid is what gets them votes that they scare you into making.
The majority of reasons are NIMBY based issues. I know from living on Long Island the effects of NIMBYism. Long Island wind turbines that were shot down by the rich anyone? Perfect case in point, the Westbury Drive-In. This was a theater that I went to twice. For those that lived near it, it was just north of the Music Fair theater. Not too long after seeing the movie when I saw the movie I did at age 7, there were plans to shut it down, which isn't a bad idea since it was seasonal, especially in NY. The problem wasn't that the theater was getting shut down, but rather the redevelopment plan. In the massive parking lot of the three theater drive in would be a B.J.'s Wholesale Club and (at the time) state of the art United Artists stadium seat traditional movie theater.

So what happened, well some of the people thought that the B.J.'s would hurt their home values (for whatever reason) and fought it rather strongly. There was even a push to make the Westbury Drive-In a landmark, as it was the last standing drive-in theater on Long Island. However, when I went to it, the drive-in utilized radio signals rather than the speakers (I'm guessing it was cost savings with so many drivers pulling the cables if not polls out when the movie was over.) For this reason, the drive-in's landmark status wasn't allowed and we saw the BJ's opened in 1998 and the U.A. theater opened in 1999.

The point of this, is NIMBYism is a huge problem with a lot of things. Many a sports venue has been hurt by it. Everyone don't mind a shanty town, especially if it wont hurt their home values or traffic impacts.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:04 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,971,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Well yeah, but this was back when we were in the 1700's and 1800's. The turn of the 1900's brought more and more larger scale companies. Some brought about the anti-trust acts signed by President Theodore Roosevelt. Not defending it, but it seems to be the way it has been, is right now and will be for sometime.

Indeed, it was a protection to land owners, especially the more wealthy.

The majority of reasons are NIMBY based issues. I know from living on Long Island the effects of NIMBYism. Long Island wind turbines that were shot down by the rich anyone? Perfect case in point, the Westbury Drive-In. This was a theater that I went to twice. For those that lived near it, it was just north of the Music Fair theater. Not too long after seeing the movie when I saw the movie I did at age 7, there were plans to shut it down, which isn't a bad idea since it was seasonal, especially in NY. The problem wasn't that the theater was getting shut down, but rather the redevelopment plan. In the massive parking lot of the three theater drive in would be a B.J.'s Wholesale Club and (at the time) state of the art United Artists stadium seat traditional movie theater.

So what happened, well some of the people thought that the B.J.'s would hurt their home values (for whatever reason) and fought it rather strongly. There was even a push to make the Westbury Drive-In a landmark, as it was the last standing drive-in theater on Long Island. However, when I went to it, the drive-in utilized radio signals rather than the speakers (I'm guessing it was cost savings with so many drivers pulling the cables if not polls out when the movie was over.) For this reason, the drive-in's landmark status wasn't allowed and we saw the BJ's opened in 1998 and the U.A. theater opened in 1999.

The point of this, is NIMBYism is a huge problem with a lot of things. Many a sports venue has been hurt by it. Everyone don't mind a shanty town, especially if it wont hurt their home values or traffic impacts.
NIMBY is a small fraction of an argument against what I was saying. The original question was why doesn't cheap housing exist since there is a high demand, and the simple answer is because housing isn't cheap.

Old 09-03-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
let us know when you voluntarily take a paycut to help your co-workers
I would think supporters of capitalism would agree with workers bargaining for higher pay and a private company agreeing.
In Communist China, this is not allowed.

Last edited by J746NEW; 09-03-2018 at 11:29 AM..

Old 09-03-2018, 11:25 AM

30,137 posts, read 11,759,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
So now, instead of renting a small room in someone's house, one can now rent a larger room in someone's house, and perhaps with their own bathroom?

Yes, I agree, it's a step in the right direction!

If you are living in Los Angeles and the only breadwinner in your family and the best job you can find is working at Disneyland perhaps its time to move elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies