Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 07:48 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
In the good old days BEFORE blacks so called “abandoned God,” what were they getting from him? How were black folks being treated by the very people that indoctrinated them into Christianity in the first place during slavery? Tell me. Because the old folks in my family told me the answer, and it ain’t a positive one.

As to your first paragraph, that 420 billion that I quoted is probably around 450 billion since 1980, and it’s rising fast. Where is that money? What did it go towards? Who spent it?

African Americans have got to come to terms that this Black Church experiment has failed miserably, and it’s time to leave it behind. The black church is full of so much tomfoolery, pastor worship, coonery, bacchanalia, greed, dissimulation, subterfuge, and pandering that I don’t know how folks sit there with a straight face and defend it. When the black church was made up of small country churches, that was one thing. The black church is now a sprawling complex of multimillion dollar mega churches with pastors that live lives worthy of a Robin Leach interview. They want 10% of your income and they’ve even got ATM machines installed in the buildings.

So let’s call it what it is..big business. Worship for profit.

Seriously? 3 black people belong to the NOI. Get real if you wanna join this conversation.

Does Farrakhan have a 65 million dollar private jet and a Bentley? Why are you folks so quick to call out the. NOI which has few members and little money, yet you’ve got nothing to say to poverty pimps and pie-in-the-Sky Christian preachers like Creflo Dollar and Jamal Bryant?

The only time you folks will call out a black Christian preacher is when they run afoul of white people, like Rev Wright or Al Sharpton. Only THEN are they seen as bad people. But as long as they don’t rock white folks’ boats, they’re free to rob black folks all they want without white criticism. Nice.

But white folks will cry about how blacks need to leave the “Democrat Plantation” because they resent the black vote being monolithic and never going to Republicans. But it’s funny how whites never tell blacks to leave the church Plantation... you know, the one that’s ripping them off for billions per year. SMH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 08:21 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
In the good old days BEFORE blacks so called “abandoned God,” what were they getting from him? How were black folks being treated by the very people that indoctrinated them into Christianity in the first place during slavery? Tell me. Because the old folks in my family told me the answer, and it ain’t a positive one.

As to your first paragraph, that 420 billion that I quoted is probably around 450 billion since 1980, and it’s rising fast. Where is that money? What did it go towards? Who spent it?

African Americans have got to come to terms that this Black Church experiment has failed miserably, and it’s time to leave it behind. The black church is full of so much tomfoolery, pastor worship, coonery, bacchanalia, greed, dissimulation, subterfuge, and pandering that I don’t know how folks sit there with a straight face and defend it. When the black church was made up of small country churches, that was one thing. The black church is now a sprawling complex of multimillion dollar mega churches with pastors that live lives worthy of a Robin Leach interview. They want 10% of your income and they’ve even got ATM machines installed in the buildings.

So let’s call it what it is..big business. Worship for profit.

Seriously? 3 black people belong to the NOI. Get real if you wanna join this conversation.

Does Farrakhan have a 65 million dollar private jet and a Bentley? Why are you folks so quick to call out the. NOI which has few members and little money, yet you’ve got nothing to say to poverty pimps and pie-in-the-Sky Christian preachers like Creflo Dollar and Jamal Bryant?

The only time you folks will call out a black Christian preacher is when they run afoul of white people, like Rev Wright or Al Sharpton. Only THEN are they seen as bad people. But as long as they don’t rock white folks’ boats, they’re free to rob black folks all they want without white criticism. Nice.

But white folks will cry about how blacks need to leave the “Democrat Plantation” because they resent the black vote being monolithic and never going to Republicans. But it’s funny how whites never tell blacks to leave the church Plantation... you know, the one that’s ripping them off for billions per year. SMH
I think YOU are the one that needs to "get real". Just because you don't like the question or the uncomfortable FACTS is no reason to fly off the handle. I did notice you never did answer (as usual) through all the blather though. With respect to your absurd claim that N.O.I. only has "3 members" it's actually estimated that it has 22k to 40k members.
As for the Church and your accusations, I can't argue with you as there are Churches and Church leaders both White AND Black that are no different than every other run of the mill money grubbing huckster.

Quote:
Since its founding in 1930, the Nation of Islam (NOI) has grown into one of the wealthiest and best-known organizations in black America, offering numerous programs and events designed to uplift African Americans. Nonetheless, its bizarre theology of innate black superiority over whites — a belief system vehemently and consistently rejected by mainstream Muslims — and the deeply racist, antisemitic and anti-LGBT rhetoric of its leaders, including top minister Louis Farrakhan, have earned the NOI a prominent position in the ranks of organized hate
https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...p/nation-islam

Louis Farrakhan Net Worth: Louis Farrakhan is an American religious leader who has a net worth of $3 million.
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...han-net-worth/

Old 09-02-2018, 09:36 AM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Sorry to be obtuse. I was not referring to murders or murderers.
Oh well, in that case I agree with you. I was thinking the topic was black murders, but really it’s more about the black condition in America. For that I do think black people have historically been basically put on reservations with redlining where they could live, and kept poorer because of it. I see it changing though. I live in a very racially diverse area in the suburbs. My kids are the minorities at school (actually whites and blacks are about equal percentages while the majority there are Hispanic). I have noticed that in AP classes, there are a lot of black girls, but very few black boys (the boys that are in those classes are all African immigrant kids). I don’t know why, but I think some of it has to do with sports. I wonder how many coaches are telling them to stick to regular classes so they can maintain passing grades and keep playing. Sometimes I think that rule actually hurts them when it was intended to help them.

I have lived nearly 50 years and all I see is progress. The way blacks were treated when I was a kid to now is 180 degrees. It’s slow progress, but it gets better with each generation. I don’t see any of these kids getting in a lot of trouble, going to jail, getting involved with gangs. They’re mostly good kids. Their parents range from very poor to middle class like all the kids on my side of town.

We have section 8 housing around here, but the apartments are luxury apartments and they’re very nice. They’re kept nice too. And the kids there aren’t joining gangs or robbing people, even though they’re poor. In some areas there is a lot of violence, but even there I see so much progress. It was a lot more violent when I was growing up. My son told me he read a theory about why people were so much more violent in the 70s and 80s. They think it has to do with a lot more exposure to lead in water, paint, and even gasoline then. I don’t know if that’s true, but it makes a lot of sense.

The problem is boys of all colors seem to be getting left behind. I don’t know why, but I think it’s a growing problem that ought to be addressed. Instead people act like girls are oppressed when it seems the opposite is true now. Look at nearly every college and you will see higher enrollment of girls than boys. Of the top ten students at my daughter’s graduation last year there were two boys and eight girls. We’ve got to focus on this issue because if boys get left behind, what’s left for them?

Old 09-02-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Oh well, in that case I agree with you. I was thinking the topic was black murders, but really it’s more about the black condition in America. For that I do think black people have historically been basically put on reservations with redlining where they could live, and kept poorer because of it. I see it changing though. I live in a very racially diverse area in the suburbs. My kids are the minorities at school (actually whites and blacks are about equal percentages while the majority there are Hispanic). I have noticed that in AP classes, there are a lot of black girls, but very few black boys (the boys that are in those classes are all African immigrant kids). I don’t know why, but I think some of it has to do with sports. I wonder how many coaches are telling them to stick to regular classes so they can maintain passing grades and keep playing. Sometimes I think that rule actually hurts them when it was intended to help them.

I have lived nearly 50 years and all I see is progress. The way blacks were treated when I was a kid to now is 180 degrees. It’s slow progress, but it gets better with each generation. I don’t see any of these kids getting in a lot of trouble, going to jail, getting involved with gangs. They’re mostly good kids. Their parents range from very poor to middle class like all the kids on my side of town.

We have section 8 housing around here, but the apartments are luxury apartments and they’re very nice. They’re kept nice too. And the kids there aren’t joining gangs or robbing people, even though they’re poor. In some areas there is a lot of violence, but even there I see so much progress. It was a lot more violent when I was growing up. My son told me he read a theory about why people were so much more violent in the 70s and 80s. They think it has to do with a lot more exposure to lead in water, paint, and even gasoline then. I don’t know if that’s true, but it makes a lot of sense.

The problem is boys of all colors seem to be getting left behind. I don’t know why, but I think it’s a growing problem that ought to be addressed. Instead people act like girls are oppressed when it seems the opposite is true now. Look at nearly every college and you will see higher enrollment of girls than boys. Of the top ten students at my daughter’s graduation last year there were two boys and eight girls. We’ve got to focus on this issue because if boys get left behind, what’s left for them?
It doesn't matter <bold>. Didn't you hear, nowadays boys age into being men and men are all evil, sex crazed women violating misogynistic people bent on keeping women down, unless they're part of the LBGTQ-REEONEP group of course...

Old 09-02-2018, 11:05 AM

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Much of the trouble is due to not being able to read. My grandson is ADHD and dyslexic. There's a lot of that going around. It took a very special school for him to become a prolific reader. It was expensive. IMO, most public school teachers in low income areas are undertrained and overworked. In my district, as jobs open up preference is given to existing staff. The new teachers get assigned to the least performing schools.

Private prisons gauge their need for future growth based on 3rd. grade reading test scores.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:13 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Here is the thing. It's not what he said but when and where he said it. Aretha Franklin's funeral was not the time or the place to talk about Black on Black murders. If the person being buried was a victim of Black on Black murder, I would understand and commend the pastor for talking about it. However, this was not an appropriate time to talk about the subject. If the pastor talked about it during Bible study or as part of a Sunday sermon, yes, it would be appropriate, but he picked Aretha Franklin's funeral. Why her funeral, especially when her death had nothing to do with Black on Black murder? For crying out loud she died of an illness, not murder.
A thing about free speech is knowing where and when is the right place to express it. There are times when I know there are things I shouldn't say at that time/location, but I choose to. I would imagine the pastor had a similar mindset.

Old 09-02-2018, 12:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I think YOU are the one that needs to "get real". Just because you don't like the question or the uncomfortable FACTS is no reason to fly off the handle. I did notice you never did answer (as usual) through all the blather though. With respect to your absurd claim that N.O.I. only has "3 members" it's actually estimated that it has 22k to 40k members.
As for the Church and your accusations, I can't argue with you as there are Churches and Church leaders both White AND Black that are no different than every other run of the mill money grubbing huckster.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...p/nation-islam

Louis Farrakhan Net Worth: Louis Farrakhan is an American religious leader who has a net worth of $3 million.
https://www.celebritynetworth.com/ri...han-net-worth/
Again, the NOI has 3 members. You’re really gonna bring them up in this conversation? Farrakhan has been an NOI member since the 50’s, and you’re sitting here losing it over his 3 million dollar net worth (a relative joke) when Christian Pastors like Creflo Dollar and TD Jakes can make claims to tens of millions? Really?

What uncomfortable “fact” did you say? You asked a stupid question and I gave you an answer. What you don’t like is the “uncomfortable fact” that it’s Christian pastors that are nakedly robbing the black community of its financial resources, so you bring up some nonsense about the NOI...an organization you hate for no good reason and has about as many members as your local bridge club.

The NOI ain’t the problem here. And you’re damn right that you have no argument to truthfully contravene MY argument! Next time just admit that and step the hell off.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:05 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Much of the trouble is due to not being able to read. My grandson is ADHD and dyslexic. There's a lot of that going around. It took a very special school for him to become a prolific reader. It was expensive. IMO, most public school teachers in low income areas are undertrained and overworked. In my district, as jobs open up preference is given to existing staff. The new teachers get assigned to the least performing schools.

Private prisons gauge their need for future growth based on 3rd. grade reading test scores.
1. How does a teacher being over trained and underworked make a black person shoot another black person? You logic escapes me.
2. The government has already spent billions into low income neighborhoods and schools
3. This is clearly not a problem the government is capable of solving and like many black issues must be solved within the community. Let me guess, you think Lebron James is going to build 1000 more new schools for the underprivileged?

4. Much of the trouble is due to single parent households. The black nuclear family is in a state of chaos. Right now, a single parent with kids make more benefits and lesss taxes than 2 low income parent earners. This is why the out of wedlock birthrate for blacks is 74%. We literally pay people to have kids and keep the father out the house.

Then the kids grows up with a high risk of psychological problems, education problems, criminal problems, teenage pregnancy problems.

The schools aren't having kids out of wedlock, the parents in these neighborhoods are.

Old 09-02-2018, 01:13 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I have lived nearly 50 years and all I see is progress.
-74% of blacks are born out of wedlock, not progress
-70% of blacks are overweight or obese, not progress
-The highest killer of young blacks is other young blacks, not progress
-38%+ of welfare recipients are black, but we're only 13% of the population, not progress
-Blacks are overrepresened in the jail population and incarceration rates
-People kneeling for the national anthem of "social injustice," not progress

You seem to have a delusional way of viewing progress. You want progress? Asian Americans median household income is now more than white people, that's progress. A demographic with virtually zero political power that has scraped by to advance in society through education.

We want pity and government handouts. We're just victims of capitalism and slavery. Does Ben Carson, Barack Obama, Colin Powell, Herman Cain, Clarence Thomas, look like victims? They're MILLIONAIRES! Get off your butt and go do something the world wants done. There is no reparations package coming.

Old 09-02-2018, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Again, the NOI has 3 members. You’re really gonna bring them up in this conversation? Farrakhan has been an NOI member since the 50’s, and you’re sitting here losing it over his 3 million dollar net worth (a relative joke) when Christian Pastors like Creflo Dollar and TD Jakes can make claims to tens of millions? Really?

What uncomfortable “fact” did you say? You asked a stupid question and I gave you an answer. What you don’t like is the “uncomfortable fact” that it’s Christian pastors that are nakedly robbing the black community of its financial resources, so you bring up some nonsense about the NOI...an organization you hate for no good reason and has about as many members as your local bridge club.

The NOI ain’t the problem here. And you’re damn right that you have no argument to truthfully contravene MY argument! Next time just admit that and step the hell off.
No, I refuted your absurd claim, rather well I think. I asked you a question that you still refuse to answer which leads me to believe you are probably an NOI sympathizer or member and don't like the spotlight brought to bear on them as the racists they are.

If you re-read what I posted I agreed with you that there are certainly hucksters in the religion business. Sharpton and Jackson immediately come to mind as does Joel Osteen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies