Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 06:57 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
C'mon - both Bill and Hillary were very highly educated - lawyers...scholars. Bill was a Rhodes Scholar and had experience in the Gov. office. He also has common sense and an outgoing personality.

He was nothing if not qualified. Obama was qualified also - these people are educated in the basics of technology, geography, history, etc. and would not send nukes flying because they got angry one day......
Bill should have never got as far as he did. He would not today. We better understand that preying on women because you have power is not something we should look for in a candidate. Obama was a one term Senator. No, he won based upon lies and "Present" votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 09:06 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
I'd been channel-surfing today while watching McCain's funeral, and I caught a snippet from one of the channels to the effect of since Trump isn't on the ballot this year, Mueller is under no obligation to suspend his investigation or release a report before or after the usual grace period. I hadn't considered that before, but I suppose it could be a loophole?
I'm not sure what you mean by 'loophole'. A loophole may exist or not; who knows?

But a suspension would simply be a temporary halt to the investigation while the election goes on. Suspension might give some of the perps some advantages, but no one knows what those may be, if there are any, or much else.

If Mueller is close to the end, it's equally possible he could re-start the investigation after the election, could keep it going at a level just low enough to track any pertinent developments that may happen during the election, or just continue on until his documentation is complete for his report.

Presenting the report to Congress is as important as the investigation, as it could be inflammatory, so if the finished report is still in the distance, Mueller could well hold it until after the election. I'm positive he would not allow the report to be released if it could influence the election in any way.

One thing is certain: Mueller and his team will leak nothing. The man himself has been as silent as the tomb throughout the 15 months of his team's progress, and I've never seen any Congressional investigation team that has as much internal discipline as this team's.

There is next to nothing anyone knows as to how the team is structured, who's in charge of what, who answers to who, or anything much. This bunch is extraordinary in their ability to stay quiet and focused on the job.

Do not believe anything you read or hear in the media about the team or Mr. Mueller. They do not know anything more in the media than the fellow on the street knows. Anything, including my own thoughts, is nothing but speculation. I'm only making my best guesses on what will happen. Anyone on a TV channel or on the internet who's more famous than me is doing just the same. They don't know any more than the rest of us know.

The one thing I am sure of is Mueller's report will be definitive. Everything I do know says that to me. Mr. Mueller will make no charges he can't substantiate with proof and evidence, and when it is released, all of us will know about as much as he does about how far and how wide the Russians interfered with the 2016 election.

Hunting down the Russians was Mueller's job. His only job.
He's already turned some of the bit players over to other courts for crimes they committed that aren't pertinent to his job, and while the investigation may be suspended, he may continue to do that- turn over others to other courts. That would depend on how much such turn-overs would affect this election's outcome.

Will it be bigger than Watergate when it finally comes down? Oh, my, yes!

Nixon was many things, but I'm absolutely sure he never desired to become a dictator. He served in WWII, the greatest fight against dictatorship in the 20th century. Nixon himself challenged some of the century's greatest dictators personally.
We tend to think of Hitler when we think of a dictator, but Mao Tse Tung, Malenkov, Kruschev, Pol Pot, and others were just as bad or worse. Nixon directly confronted them all.

Watergate was totally an internal affair that had no foreign connections. Nixon only wanted to disgrace and humiliate a few of his personal enemies. If his orders hadn't been illegal, his downfall would have never happened.

This is the very first time in our history that a foreign nation has tried to subvert an election.

Elections are the bedrock foundation of our democracy. Everything else in our governmental structure depends on them alone. That's why we worry about tampering, election rigging, gerrymandering, and all the other stuff so much. But all that is still only an internal problem inside the United States.

We have never faced a foreign nation who wants to take us over using our own government to do it before. But it's happened, many times, in other countries large and small.

Elections are the foundation of any democracy. In a strong democracy, subverting an election may be the only way to destroy a democracy and replace it with a dictatorship.

This alone makes Watergate a lesser affair than this present affair. The crimes committed this time are much, much more serious in nature.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:24 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,587,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
No comparison. I was there for Watergate and it wasn't anything earth shattering....it just shows you how far downhill we have gone...when actual treason and vast cover-ups and all the firings and indictments and money trails and everything else is greeted with a "ho hum" by 40% of the population.
Even if this had all ended and Trump and his co-conspirators had been put in chains, this current situation would be many multiples of Watergate in magnitude. But it isn't over. We as a society and country may be over, before that happens. Trump obviously wants to be the one who destroys America. But he apparently thinks he can do that and somehow preserve his own wealth and privilege. A bad surprise awaits him.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:35 PM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
The Obama's Spooks collusion with The Russians and the media to absolve Hillary and frame Trump is much worse than Watergate which was a minor event actually compared to our FBI involvement in spying on the Trump campaign.
Absolutely^^ Only Russian tie in is the 140 million dollars the Russians gave to Hillary Clinton.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It’s really not worse than Watergate. Not even close.

Time has attenuated the profundity and uniqueness of what happened during Watergate. This new thing isn’t even in the same ballpark.

They didn't have e-mail and cell phones, with Watergate. There was no NSA database to go snoop in.
They had to do it the old manual way. This was slicker and less work.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:42 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post
Many have made the comparison, of course.

‘Bigger Than Watergate’? Both Sides Say Yes, but for Different Reasons.
By Peter Baker

Watergate has long been the touchstone for modern American scandal, the mountain of misconduct against which all others are judged... But rarely has the comparison been as intense and persistent as during the 16 months since Mr. Trump took office — a comparison deployed by both sides in hopes of shaping the narrative of wrongdoing. What started out as an inquiry into Russia’s meddling in the 2016 election has mushroomed into questions of perjury, obstruction of justice, conspiracy, abuse of power, illicit spying, hush money, tax fraud, money laundering and influence peddling.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/17/u...a-inquiry.html
yes the obozo admin (to include the SOS of both Hitlery, and Kerry) was worse than Watergate

Obama's collusion in others elections (arab spring he even called it) was definitely a conspiracy, abuse of power, illicit spying, influence peddling, collusion, and obstruction of justice

Old 09-03-2018, 09:25 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What started out as an inquiry into Russia’s meddling in the 2016 election has mushroomed into questions of perjury, obstruction of justice, conspiracy, abuse of power, illicit spying, hush money, tax fraud, money laundering and influence peddling.

My question is.........while I think it's great that we are focusing on all of this, why is it just now becoming a problem? This has been going on for years.
The last 4 out of 5 Republican Presidents should have been impeached.
Nixon Watergate
Regan IranContra
Bush Jr. 911
Trump Russia gate

We are sick of crooks stealing from the poor and giving to themselves and the rich. They are traitors.

We will find someone who will return America to pre Nixon days making America all she can be for the citizens of this Country. Not foreign or domestic wealthy.

A cross between Joe Biden and Michael Avenatti.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:14 AM

37,174 posts, read 19,189,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Bill should have never got as far as he did. He would not today. We better understand that preying on women because you have power is not something we should look for in a candidate. Obama was a one term Senator. No, he won based upon lies and "Present" votes.
That just disqualified the squatter currently occupying the OO.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
That just disqualified the squatter currently occupying the OO.
Hopefully it does.

Old 09-03-2018, 10:28 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
The fact that Trump calls John Dean "a rat" speaks volumes about his own guilt.

John Dean told the truth and saved the country--which makes him a rat in the eyes of Mafia Don.

So anyone else who has told the truth about Trump are rats by inference. He is afraid of the truth--what does that say?

The only thing better would be if it is tapes that bring him down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies