Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 09:29 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
Shoplifting reports are neither political nor controversial.
Not political but definitely controversial!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2018, 09:33 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,762 times
Stupid workers, exposing themselves to violence and possible lawsuit for 10$ an hour. And it may be even against company policy.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:35 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,093,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Not political but definitely controversial!
How so?

I think that we all can agree that it's wrong and that there are laws against it for good reason.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:41 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
How so?

I think that we all can agree that it's wrong and that there are laws against it for good reason.
What my company did was certainly controversial, they changed policy that benefits the thief, I have no doubt word has got around that we do not call police on shoplifters or fuel drive offs.

I will admit though, shoplifting in gas station/ convenience store is different than shoplifting in other stores, we dont really carry any high dollar products, but even with grocery stores, I would imagine they have contracts with vendors and suppliers, and LOSS/SHRINK is probably factored in.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:48 AM

25,721 posts, read 18,797,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Besides the study, the other incident that made them re-think the shoplifting policy was about a year before I was hired, apparently a manager accused someone of shoplifting and called police, they would not let them leave the store, it turns out they were not shoplifting, and the person raised all kinds of hell with the corporate office.

Corporate is more concerned with negative hotline calls versus shoplifting of chips and cigarettes.
More sound logic. Because Lizzie Borden was accused of murder and (presumably) found innocent (acquitted), no one should henceforth be charged with murder just in case they are acquitted.

Sounds like a great company you work for; one, in fact, that I would be a bit concerned to work for. Do you think that if someone came into your store and beat you to within an inch of your life, the company would stand behind you and defend you? Or would they find a way to blame you and help the assaulter get away with it--in fact encouraging him to go out and do it again? Essentially sweeping it under the rug just in case you self-inflicted your wounds or a gremlin jumped out from under the counter and beat you up.

Old 09-02-2018, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
Stupid workers, exposing themselves to violence and possible lawsuit for 10$ an hour. And it may be even against company policy.
Yeah, go ahead and defend the thief. You'd defend the guy if he'd committed murder in the store, wouldn't you? It's attitudes like yours that make modern society such a joke--nobody should ever be held responsible for their bad behavior, right?

Old 09-02-2018, 09:54 AM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Once he stopped being a thief and started assaulting the employees-he became a threat. And with his size, a significant one. Centerpunch with a Gold Dot.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:00 AM

6,927 posts, read 6,934,737 times
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. This thread should be moved - maybe to Current Events?

Old 09-02-2018, 10:01 AM

2,448 posts, read 893,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
A community gradually degrades when folks take your attitude. Never apologize for confronting uncivilized/barbaric behavior.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
They become political when half the population wants to clap as thieves steal rather than stopping them and throwing them in jail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies