Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 01:54 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Doctors are actually making less money than they once did. They no longer run their own offices with nobody to answer to beside themselves.

The healthcare network system (aka the corporation) owns the Medical practices. Doctors practicing within that system are given a contract stating what they'll be paid per year. They're pushed for profit and are expected to send patients for X number of tests each year. If they don't meet their goals they can be subject to not having their contract renewed, or having a bad contract presented to them, or being moved to a less desirable position within the healthcare system. The systems want so many bodies in the door each day that doctors are working at a breakneck pace and working hours after close time. This is not only hard on the doctors, but support staff who might be salaried employees and working 50 plus hours a week.

The system pushes for tests so they can pay for equipment or justify purchasing new equipment.

One of my doctor friends said tradespeople are now making more money than internists.

If you want to know where the money goes, it's the healthcare network systems (the corporations) and insurance companies. They are in bed together the same way that Big Pharma and the FDA are, so don't think that insurance companies actually work toward containing costs, because they don't.

Also, the rush job doctors and staff give patients is partly due to the paperwork they're required to complete, as noted in this article I've posted previously:

https://nypost.com/2014/07/09/obamac...-by-paperwork/
NY Post is full of poo.

“One (Medicare) report could take 108 Minutes to complete”.

Most MDs I know complete the 12 Medicare questions on an iPad as they execute an exam and no longer take long hand notes.

In the rare instance I have a need to see an MD, an admin completes the online claim and receives approval in seconds.

I did visit a Nurse Practitioner at CVS last year due to a persistent ear ache. Took her less than a minute to check out my ear. Took her more than 30 Minutes to complete the CVS online questionnaire. It was obvious CVS was attempting to build a medical record for me including past pregnancies. What does this have to do with a killer earache and my need for a generic Amoxicillin? My point here is that mileage varies.

It’s not Government or insurers that require time consuming data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 01:56 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
They do too much schooling and should be cut down the unnecessary undergrad gen ed courses they take which requires more time, effort and money.

Doctors should be making between $150-300K maximum.
What qualifies you or me or anyone to determine how much a physician or, for that matter, what anyone should make?

Old 09-04-2018, 01:56 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
If you compare to the pay scale of third world countries, then yes.
But if you compare the salaries of American physicians with those in Europe, Australia and even in the Gulf Countries, you won't find much difference.

Doctor's are not only academically very smart people they also work VERY HARD to maintain the lifestyle that you see. They have A LOT of very heavy bills to pay. Trust me.

If you visit an internal medicine doctor in his office, you will probably pay $100 odd for the visit.
But if you visit the HOSPITAL then the bill becomes astronomical.

It's not the doctor's pay, it's cost of running the hospitals that increase the cost of medical bills and hence the insurance prices go high as well.

The handyman who updated my restroom, takes $500 a day. Many doctor's make the same

actually they are not that close

want to know A BIG REASON why its lower in those other countries.??? salaries.....a nurse in France(actually most of europe) makes about 1500-1800 a month(in us dollars)..that's 18-25,000 a year.....
meanwhile according to payscale.com the average Rn makes 45-72,000 in the usa……
FranceRegistered Nurse (RN) Salary (France)....average 22,000 euro (about 25,000 dollars us)
USARegistered Nurse (RN), Emergency Room Salary ....average 63,000 dollars
Professional Nurse Average Salary Income - International Comparison

“Primary care doctors in the United States, do tend to earn a lot more than their counterparts abroad. One 2011 study, which looked at doctor salaries from 2008, found that the average primary care doctor in France earns about $95,000, compared to the $186,000 that physicians net in the United States.”

Cutting doctors’ take-home pay would not really solve the American cost crisis. The total amount Americans pay their physicians collectively represents only about 20 percent of total national health spending. Of this total, close to half is absorbed by the physicians’ practice expenses, including malpractice premiums, but excluding the amortization of college and medical-school debt.
This makes the physicians’ collective take-home pay only about 10 percent of total national health spending. If we somehow managed to cut that take-home pay by, say, 20 percent, we would reduce total national health spending by only 2 percent, in return for a wholly demoralized medical profession to which we so often look to save our lives. It strikes me as a poor strategy.

Medical malpractice in France is based on a national no-fault compensation scheme versus an American medical malpractice system where OB/GYNs in some New York counties pay annual malpractice premiums of $227,899:

https://www.kevinmd.com/blog/2014/05...ch-doctor.html

Old 09-04-2018, 01:58 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDBS View Post
I think you should be making between $10K and $15K maximim.
you think a doctor should only be making 15k max???

maybe a department of health (government) doctor

Old 09-04-2018, 02:00 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Doctors in America are grossly overpaid."

People say the same thing about lawyers, UNTIL THEY NEED ONE in an emergency!
If I'm in a life or death situation which would I rather have around me to help, a doctor, a pro sports player, a celebrity, or a lawyer?

After answering that question ask yourself who gets paid the most. Something is seriously wrong here.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:09 PM

24,629 posts, read 9,454,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
Doctors in America are grossly overpaid.
Doctors in Canada are grossly underpaid. No thanks. You’re welcome to see a brain surgeon at the lowest bigger after a 10 month wait if you want.

I’ll stick with the highest bigger highly specialized doctors of America any day of the week.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:10 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
NY Post is full of poo.

“One (Medicare) report could take 108 Minutes to complete”.

Most MDs I know complete the 12 Medicare questions on an iPad as they execute an exam and no longer take long hand notes.

In the rare instance I have a need to see an MD, an admin completes the online claim and receives approval in seconds.

I did visit a Nurse Practitioner at CVS last year due to a persistent ear ache. Took her less than a minute to check out my ear. Took her more than 30 Minutes to complete the CVS online questionnaire. It was obvious CVS was attempting to build a medical record for me including past pregnancies. What does this have to do with a killer earache and my need for a generic Amoxicillin? My point here is that mileage varies.

It’s not Government or insurers that require time consuming data.
Good lord, it was a good thing I was sitting down for that.

Did you see the questionnaire or ask to know what was on it? Just curious.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:13 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,119,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
And that is one of the reasons why our healthcare system is as screwed up as it is and why we won't embrace universal healthcare.
All professions are paid what the market deems appropriate. If you took a basic economics class, you would understand.

Old 09-04-2018, 02:31 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Okay, but 1 Canadian dollar = .76 US dollars
Ok, but even converted to US dollars it's still more...

Old 09-04-2018, 02:49 PM

3,850 posts, read 2,226,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
You know what someone is worth? Whatever someone is will to pay them. By definition, they aren't overpaid, because people keep paying them.
I'd normally agree, but it's different in the medical world.

When we go to the doctor, there is never a discussion of prices. No one even knows how much things are going to cost. You're expected to have insurance. Then Doctors name whatever price they want (which is always ridiculously inflated) and the insurance company has to pay for it. That's why medical prices are so high, they can charge whatever they want.

A normal free market system wouldn't allow for such high prices. If people chose who to go to based on prices that they knew in advance, it wouldn't be this bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies