Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 07:55 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,665,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Blanketing all UHC systems gives a false impression. Private rooms ARE available in Canada, as are 2 bed and 4 bed wards. I've never seen anything larger than a 4 bed ward. Similar to what is available in the US. In some places there may be a small surcharge for a private room, many who have extended health insurance, usually through work, are covered for this.

In Canada deciding what tests are needed is a decision by the doctor ONLY. There is no government involvement in medical decisions. In all the years I've been dealing with our UCH, I have NEVER heard of anyone being denied a test.

The US does have a lot of R&D etc, but Europe does as well, and even Canada. Canada obviously not on the same scale, but important R&D does happen here. An example of one of the latest, and I'm sure we aren't going to begrudge others this discovery when it does pass testing on humans in the years to come. Of course there is more than just this one story going on.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ange-1.4794141
Actually, there are very few "wards" left in the US hospital system. Most rooms are private.

Neighbors of ours were visiting in British Columbia when their daughter developed a sore throat. They took her to a doctor, who simply prescribed antibiotics, saying it "looked like" strep and he was just going to treat and not test. That is much different than the US, where a throat is always tested before giving antibiotics, in my experience anyway and I've worked in several pediatric offices. Later I learned that the Canadian system doesn't pay for drugs, but does pay for strep tests, so the tests are discouraged.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 09:37 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,551,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
And that is one of the reasons why our healthcare system is as screwed up as it is and why we won't embrace universal healthcare.
Atheletes in America are grossly overpaid.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:49 PM

45,189 posts, read 26,403,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
Atheletes in America are grossly overpaid.
The people who buy the tickets that pay the salaries of the athletes disagree with you

Old 09-15-2018, 11:29 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,579,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
As a doc how much do you think I should make?
I have said that med school should be taxpayer funded if you score in the top 10% on the entrance exams, no med school debt would help

Old 09-15-2018, 11:41 PM

4,336 posts, read 1,551,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The people who buy the tickets that pay the salaries of the athletes disagree with you
What a silly statement. They have no idea or control over what % of the ticket prices goes to salary. Keep swinging, you bound to connect some day.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
What a silly statement. They have no idea or control over what % of the ticket prices goes to salary. Keep swinging, you bound to connect some day.
Any adult not in a coma has an idea of what player salaries are when they purchase a ticket. Same for actor and actresses salaries for a given movie. Yet people still line up to support them and when they stop doing so, payday ends.
Fans (customers) make the player rich by voting with their dollars.
Or did you think team and studio owners arbitrarily set ticket prices and just divy up the proceeds based on seniority or some other non performance based reason?
I dont blame you, I blame govt schooling.

Old 09-16-2018, 08:57 AM

18,800 posts, read 8,458,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I have said that med school should be taxpayer funded if you score in the top 10% on the entrance exams, no med school debt would help
It should help many. But a $250K loan repaid over 5-10 years should not strap a typical doc too much. Assuming they get a fair salary.

My question was how much I should be paid as a doc?

Old 09-16-2018, 09:00 AM

Quote:
What we (customers/patients) have no control over is how much a doctor makes in our current insurance/govt health care system.
Unlike athletes and actors, a doctors salary is disconnected from the reality of their performance. Why? Because a third party pays them, and does so no matter how bad the doctors performance is.
A horrible/dangerous doctor can do quite well by simply seeing more patients (processing more insurance claim$).

Old 09-16-2018, 09:11 AM

25,667 posts, read 18,758,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
And that is one of the reasons why our healthcare system is as screwed up as it is and why we won't embrace universal healthcare.
Perhaps you are overpaid? I'm sure someone thinks you are.

Spend 16 years preparing for a profession, and then earn, what? Minimum wage? If you want a flunky, working for minimum wage, treating your life and death medical situations, go for it. Ask your neighbor boy to treat you.

The reasons our healthcare system is screwed up, among other reasons, is,

A) Too many parasitic middlemen. The insurance racket is running the show.

B) Too much government intervention and botched schemes to "make it more affordable," when in reality it only makes it more expensive.

C) Too many people who have justified the idea of everyone else paying for their medical bills.

D) No competition. Look at the dental field. I can go find the cheapest dentist I trust and save lots of money. If someone is too expensive, he/she either lowers his/her fee or goes out of business. Same thing with eye care. I can find the most reasonable eye care establishment and go there. The reason it works is because I pay with my own money and those dentists and eye doctors understand that they won't get any business if they charge too much, WHILE AT THE SAME TIME, they earn more money because the money I pay them actually goes to them, rather than some parasite government official or insurance scam snake.

Last edited by ChrisC; 09-16-2018 at 09:26 AM..

Old 09-16-2018, 09:12 AM

18,800 posts, read 8,458,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What we (customers/patients) have no control over is how much a doctor makes in our current insurance/govt health care system.
Unlike athletes and actors, a doctors salary is disconnected from the reality of their performance. Why? Because a third party pays them, and does so no matter how bad the doctors performance is.
A horrible/dangerous doctor can do quite well by simply seeing more patients (processing more insurance claim$).
Althlete's pay is about pure capitalism.

Doc's pay is mostly left up third parties, and how hard they wish to work.

The docs fees are by and large preset by third parties. So if you think the third parties are not negotiating in your best interest then you might not be pleased.

Paying docs for performance has been a trend the last decade, and doesn't seem to be amounting to much.

In my long experience not too many stupid or dangerous docs survive, as they get weeded out by social and professional vetting, malpractice, state and local review boards and such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies