Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 06:54 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times

Advertisements

I know how for many of you it is real easy to disbelieve any story with anonymous sources. So I found this link on when we should trust them. Reporters would rather not have to use anonymous sources. It makes it hard for other news outlets to confirm your story if your sources were anonymous. But ffor many stories, it is necessary to go incognito.

Quote:
But major investigative stories, both in Washington and outside of it, are often impossible to write without unnamed sources. The alternative to stories with unnamed sources is often not having the story published at all, rather than the same story with names. Sources have a wide range of motives for not going public. Some reasons are noble (whistleblowers may face retribution for leaking details to a reporter). Some are not (White House aides, both in the Trump administration and previous ones, sometimes don’t like one another and complain anonymously about their colleagues to the press).
It's possible, even probable in many cases, that Trump supporters don't cre if a source is reliable. They just want to make sure their guy in the White House wins. They don't cre about the truth as much as they care about him for some reason.

When To Trust A Story That Uses Unnamed Sources
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 07:02 AM

5,067 posts, read 2,277,519 times
There have always been anonymous sources, but (to me) there's a difference between using them for a news piece, and using them for nothing other than a smear article. I'd like to see serious news/media stop with this kind of writing altogether, regardless of which person or party it's about. Sad that this is what we've come to.

(And yes, I know it's an OpEd. Doesn't mean it deserves attention.)

Old 09-06-2018, 07:04 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:10 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
There have always been anonymous sources, but (to me) there's a difference between using them for a news piece, and using them for nothing other than a smear article. I'd like to see serious news/media stop with this kind of writing altogether, regardless of which person or party it's about. Sad that this is what we've come to.

(And yes, I know it's an OpEd. Doesn't mean it deserves attention.)
If you look at the content of the letter, it clearly details "WHY" they feel the need to perform as they do. Shouldn't THAT be the topic of discussion rather than the origin of the letter itself.

Can you give at least passing attention to the idea that Whitehouse staffers are having to act in a clandestine manner to keep the man from doing even more harm and do not feel able to utilize their credentials they were supposedly appointed for to even question his decisions.

All of this simply states you support the growth of a dictatorship before your very eyes.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:12 AM

12,390 posts, read 7,096,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I know how for many of you it is real easy to disbelieve any story with anonymous sources. So I found this link on when we should trust them. Reporters would rather not have to use anonymous sources. It makes it hard for other news outlets to confirm your story if your sources were anonymous. But ffor many stories, it is necessary to go incognito.

It's possible, even probable in many cases, that Trump supporters don't cre if a source is reliable. They just want to make sure their guy in the White House wins. They don't cre about the truth as much as they care about him for some reason.

The headline of the article reads, "When To Trust A Story That Uses Unnamed Sources".

That's easy.

The reader can believe a story when the story provides verifiable sources, and information.

There, that was simple enough.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:13 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post

Un-named sources should never be published. Unless libel laws come into effect on the presses FAKE NEWS.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:13 AM

4,345 posts, read 2,793,716 times
So instead of the deep state, we have the steady state. What else did Deep Throat II have to say?

Old 09-06-2018, 07:14 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,943,676 times
As opposed to: "officials said" "official sources say" or "spokesperson says"??

That is all anonymous too. How do you know who is saying what? You don't. Unless they actually print the name. And if the person is official or a spokesperson, the name should be used. Otherwise it's anonymous.

Quite frankly, anytime I say "spokesperson" I assume the info is faulty. Why? Because a SPOKESPERSON has approval to speak. So the name should be used. Every. Single. Time. Or they wouldn't be the organization's "spokesperson."

Stephen Glass, anyone??

Old 09-06-2018, 07:22 AM

673 posts, read 465,965 times
All of this does is provide the children with A.D.D in adult bodies something else to jump up and down about.

It's driving the left crazier. The interesting thing about the left is they can't be embarrassed. It's like trying to insult a used car salesman.

Old 09-06-2018, 07:24 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,698,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Un-named sources should never be published. Unless libel laws come into effect on the presses FAKE NEWS.
That's an easy stance to take, surely.

The thing is, the source might be un-named to us, but named to the publisher. It is a fine distinction, that.

In theory, the reputation of the publisher and the reputation of the un-named source with the publisher are what is on the line. Now, maybe you've bought into this "fake news" nonsense. That's too bad. But, it is the reputation of the publisher that legitimizes information from un-named sources.

Now, a purely anonymous source (the publisher doesn't even know) - those I'm more skeptical about. However, I'm probably less skeptical than your average Republican. Trump has done a great job tagging everything that is negative about him as "fake news."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies