Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2018, 09:07 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
How so? If you are a lefty I find it very hard to believe that you respect free speech. The left has been promoting the suppression of free speech for so long they now accept it as normal. Sad

First Amendment to the United States Constitution

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Where is Twitter in there?

I don't care what thoughts you have. You are free to have them. You are not entitled to any venue to promote those thoughts, however. Nor am I.

This isn't very complicated.

"Lefty", "Righty"...none of that matters - it's entirely irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2018, 09:08 AM

352 posts, read 518,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
How so? If you are a lefty I find it very hard to believe that you respect free speech. The left has been promoting the suppression of free speech for so long they now accept it as normal. Sad
You should give it a try to think outside of the right vs left box, it would do you a lot of good.

It's pretty humorous to sit here and read a right leaning person claiming the left is trying to suppress freedom of speech.

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You keep using the words "free speech"...

I don't think you know what they actually mean.

I don't think that you or most Lefty's understand that there's more to the concept of free speech than the legal definition.

That is, until it suits your agenda........

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times
Before the internet the idea of media and ideas spread across the world was never heard of unless you owned a newspaper or TV station. You now can show your talents, music, dancing, etc etc. You could broadcast many things long before Youtube and others started "cracking down on content" Some of it has to do with children watching things and other related content changes and copyrights etc.

Because the internet has options other products and companies will come about allowing people to say anything they want without worrying about being silenced. Those who look to apply so many rules to their content is not freedom everyone will accept. Freedom of Speech has nothing to do with privately owned companies. But when all the major companies use these as information sources and then want to silence some information I find them doomed in the long run.

Alex Jones should continue infowars.com post his content and get his content out for those who will listen.
In a free thinking world everyone has access to cnn, msnbc, facebook, youtube, twitter, foxnews etc etc etc. This world has plenty of room for One mans place in it all. Alex Jones is for those who no longer believe everything they are told in the media and looks to other forms of media.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:09 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,908,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I don't think that you or most Lefty's understand that there's more to the concept of free speech than the legal definition.

Please, enlighten us, Bob.

Last time I checked, Jones still has his freedom to speak his mind. Just because he can't do it on a single platform on the Internet doesn't mean his free speech has been violated. He can go elsewhere - including his own site, mind you. Just as I would do if I were banned from a site (which has never happened - but I would just do that).

Again - this isn't very complicated.

Freedom of speech has never meant freedom to any and all platforms to shout said speech. Nor has it ever meant freedom from any and all consequences of said speech. After all, OTHER people ALSO have freedom of speech. And it may not be positive in regards to your speech.

This is the price of living in this world.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:10 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,800,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
ONLY the government can impinge on your free speech. You can choose not to use private platforms that have rules for civility and you can be as much of an uncivil jerk as you like. But you can't cry wolf when there's no wolf and expect any sympathy.
Ah here is one of the smug liberals I said would use this argument in my post 147, second paragraph. Again sadly as things stand now he is right, they are indeed allowed to do a run around the constitution by using employers, universities and social media corporations to enforce political correctness (AKA suppression of free speech). As I stated before, new state and federal laws are needed to protect our right to exercise free speech without fear of punishment from employers, universities, social media platforms or other private entities.

Yes as a conservative I want to use government to control private entities, to prevent you lefties from using to infringe upon my liberties.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:11 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Facebook is parenting, too. You are their children, relying on them to keep you safe.
This board parents you -- and you still post here.

And your point?

Old 09-07-2018, 09:12 AM

352 posts, read 518,584 times
Quote:

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you get to say anything you want without having to deal the consequences of what you said.

It's really not a hard concept to understand.

Old 09-07-2018, 09:12 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,004 times
Quote:

Oh, you mean the part you can make up when and how it suits you. Ahhh, yeah, we didn't forget about that, it's not real. How ironic you talk about suiting ones agenda. Wow!

Old 09-07-2018, 09:14 AM

10,990 posts, read 20,562,477 times
As RatherBeOnSafari said: Twitter is a private business. Their playground, their rules.

So are Google and Facebook. I stopped using Facebook when they didn't monitor their site adequately.

If you don't like a site's playground rules don't go there. Remember their revenue is derived from your patronage so infinitesimally your absence impacts their bottom line. For the same reason I don't support advertisers who buy time on broadcasters I don't like. Just snap your wallet shut.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies