Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 04:45 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
What specific TOS of twitter did he violate?

I know of a blog that was shut down by wordpress simply because WP "felt" that the blog did not follow something or other. In other words WP "felt" like shutting it down. As there was no specific reason given that could have been applicable across the board to any other blog.
He violated the TOS because he posted a ten minute video of himself harassing, threatening and name calling a reporter the same day he almost got Rubio to punch his lights out.

Twitter is a private company. Do you know how many times I’ve been sent to band camp here on CD for various TOS violations? I have at least three friends who are permanently banned. So, I don’t feel sorry for him.

Incidentally, I had read a few Infowars articles in the past, but his crazy, bombastic ways didn’t hit my radar until he said it was “all an act” in child custody proceedings. Then I watched the video his wife had introduced as evidence....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 04:50 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
What's the point of free speech if it is confined to only those that want to hear it?
That's pretty much exactly the point. You can't force anyone to read your pamphlet or buy your book or listen to your podcast. We take a dim view of those who'll use a megaphone to force their message on those who don't want to hear it, and rightly so.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:51 PM

46,948 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Jones is an ass, but he should have the right to speak whatever nonsense he wants to speak.
He has.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:55 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by millenialwoes View Post
Twitter is a public utility utilized for social engineering.

If Twitter is a "private company" the term "private company" has lost all meaning.

Twitter loses money every year. Any guesses as to why they stay afloat, boomers?
Who died and declared Twitter a "public utility"?

It's a publicly-traded corporation that is majority - owned by institutional investors.

Twitter posted its first-ever quarterly profit in Q4, 2017 and did it by cutting costs, not growing ad revenue. It showed a profit in Q1 and 2, this year.

Twitter has historically chosen to put most of its revenues back into the business to propel growth. More specifically, they chose to acquire other businesses to expand their footprint.

I am not a Twitter user nor am I a direct shareholder .

Old 09-06-2018, 04:59 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Alex Jones played no small part in getting Trump elected.
The Left and the Right are at war and shutting up popular Right Wingers before the elections is a strategic move. It has nothing to do with propriety.
How ironic. The King of Fake News.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
It's about time!

Peacefully protesting by taking a knee during the NA is not spitting on the flag, you WaldoKitty!
No shortage of alternative news sources touted " spit" in sensational headlines. Upon reading, one learns some NFL players chose to kneel and some people chose to perceive taking a knee, as the equivalent of spit.

If an NFL player actually spit, I missed it.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cofor View Post
And yet there are a ton of popular right wingers still on twitter. Hmm, what could be the possible difference between him and the others. His personal conduct?
Trump is a populist, not a right-winger or conservative. He used Alex and Alex use him

Twitter seems to be the president's preferred choice of communication of whatever pops into his head or saw on TV or read in the National Enquirer.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:17 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
And I would guess it was all above board and legal, per your agreement.

So what did twitter say he violated in their TOS/agreement? No one seems to know.
I don't know why "no one would seem to know"--Twitter issued a statement.

He exhibits abusive behavior--actually is the poster boy for abusive behavior. Abusive behavior is a subjective opinion, but they look at it in context. He's been warned. Jones is consistently abusive. He has a podcast if you can't live without listening to a nut bash and victimize people and disseminate conspiracy theories. No company is obliged to give a platform to those who incite hateful behavior.

They don't just ban people for being obnoxious, or Trump would be banned.

"...We took this action based on new reports of Tweets and videos posted yesterday that violate our abusive behavior policy, in addition to the accounts' past violations," the company said in a series of tweets. "We wanted to be open about this action given the broad interest in this case..."

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/06/twit...-accounts.html

https://help.twitter.com/en/rules-an...usive-behavior

Old 09-06-2018, 05:19 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Who here is in favor of both Twitter having the right to deny Jones service as well as a baker having the right to deny a gay couple a cake?

I'll get the ball rolling.

1. No_Recess
I agree on the condition that the couple not getting cake because it's about them, not because it's about them being gay. You can ban individuals, but not protected classes.

Old 09-06-2018, 05:34 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,564,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Does twitter charge their customers to have an account?
How does Twitter make Billions and stay in business?
There's an old saying in the internet content business:

"If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies