Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2018, 08:08 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
If she were black and the victim white you'd be saying it was an innocent mistake that anyone could make after a 15 hour shift .

I did bring up affirmative action and female cops earlier. You must've missed. it
No. I don't have an agenda. I didn't defend Michael Brown but felt that Philando Castile and Laquan McDonald were murdered. I look at the details of each situation and base my opinion on those.

So, no, you're lying about what I would post. But your posting history is obvious to everyone who frequents the forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2018, 08:11 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Told you people conservatives will rally behind this cop and demonize Botham Jean. Just keep waiting and see. They are slowly turning Botham Jean into a hardened criminal. By the time the trial starts, the conservative narrative will be Botham Jean shouldn't have been in that apartment and he deserved to get shot. Or something like that.
You are exaggerating. Cruz never really defended Guyger or demonized Jean. He only criticized Democrats and his challenger O'Rourke for rushing to judgement. Cruz will probably end up throw everything but the kitchen sink at O'Rourke.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:14 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,871,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
No. I don't have an agenda. I didn't defend Michael Brown but felt that Philando Castile and Laquan McDonald were murdered. I look at the details of each situation and base my opinion on those.

So, no, you're lying about what I would post. But your posting history is obvious to everyone who frequents the forum.
You're the one lying about what I would post. What do you think about the Justine Damond case? I notice you only seem to show outrage when an usually armed black male is shot by a cop in questionable circumstances.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:21 PM

71 posts, read 53,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Told you people conservatives will rally behind this cop and demonize Botham Jean. Just keep waiting and see. They are slowly turning Botham Jean into a hardened criminal. By the time the trial starts, the conservative narrative will be Botham Jean shouldn't have been in that apartment and he deserved to get shot. Or something like that.

I'm a conservative white woman and I am definitely of the opinion that this cop was in the wrong and that Jean was an innocent victim. I couldn't care less if he had marijuana. It played no role in this. I think DPD is trying to cover their asses. Why do people assume that all non-blacks or conservatives are going to side with others just like them? Jean was a human being and the person who killed him needs to be investigated, regardless of her race. Maybe his race was a reason for the cop to shoot him. If so, it's even more reason for her to be prosecuted. I'm for treating all people equally. Or do you consider that impossible, since I'm conservative and white?

Obviously, I don't know all of the facts. Different versions of the events have left me leery of her story. Some stories have claimed the cop has shown a short temper, racist attitude, and conduct generally unbecoming for a law enforcement official. How could a cop not notice the red doormat? I'd have noticed it, and I'm not paid for being observant. I think there is far more to the story than a simple case of confusion as to her whereabouts. If her story has been changing, she needs to be charged with murder, and the DPD needs to be held accountable in civil court by Jean's family. They also need to do a better job with recruiting and training their officers.

There is so much derision in the world because we don't respect those with opposing views. In the not-so-distant past, one could be friends with people of the "other" party and peacefully discuss differences. Things have disintegrated so much, I worry about getting my tires slashed if I tell someone "God Bless You" when they sneeze. Assuming all whites think all minorities are criminals or lesser in some way is as racist as those who actually do think that way.

But I digress. I sincerely hope that all of the facts regarding Mr. Jean's death come to light and that justice is served.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:37 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,225,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Rule View Post
I'm a conservative white woman and I am definitely of the opinion that this cop was in the wrong and that Jean was an innocent victim. I couldn't care less if he had marijuana. It played no role in this. I think DPD is trying to cover their asses. Why do people assume that all non-blacks or conservatives are going to side with others just like them? Jean was a human being and the person who killed him needs to be investigated, regardless of her race. Maybe his race was a reason for the cop to shoot him. If so, it's even more reason for her to be prosecuted. I'm for treating all people equally. Or do you consider that impossible, since I'm conservative and white?

Obviously, I don't know all of the facts. Different versions of the events have left me leery of her story. Some stories have claimed the cop has shown a short temper, racist attitude, and conduct generally unbecoming for a law enforcement official. How could a cop not notice the red doormat? I'd have noticed it, and I'm not paid for being observant. I think there is far more to the story than a simple case of confusion as to her whereabouts. If her story has been changing, she needs to be charged with murder, and the DPD needs to be held accountable in civil court by Jean's family. They also need to do a better job with recruiting and training their officers.

There is so much derision in the world because we don't respect those with opposing views. In the not-so-distant past, one could be friends with people of the "other" party and peacefully discuss differences. Things have disintegrated so much, I worry about getting my tires slashed if I tell someone "God Bless You" when they sneeze. Assuming all whites think all minorities are criminals or lesser in some way is as racist as those who actually do think that way.

But I digress. I sincerely hope that all of the facts regarding Mr. Jean's death come to light and that justice is served.
Thanks for your post.

Despite what the media try to push, we all still have a lot more in common than we do different.

I appreciate your openness and candor.

It seems those of us in the middle have very few people representing our politics.

It will be interesting to see how this case plays out in the long run.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:47 PM

2,267 posts, read 1,945,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Have her tox results been released?

It's good she was charged with manslaughter. It should probably be murder, but I'd assume they'd have a hard time getting that charge to stick.

Yeah- they would have to prove intent. If they have no witnesses and no evidence pointing to her purposefully entering the apartment knowing it wasn't hers then it will be damn near impossible to prove.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:47 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,370,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Wayyyy back in this thread I noted a number of other cases of negligent homicide, they got around 3-7.

Judge might go a little harder or softer on her depending on if it turns out she was drunk etc. or for being a police officer but it's going to be at least 2 for manslaughter.
It's not up to the judge in a jury trial.

Old 09-17-2018, 08:51 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Golden Rule View Post

I am not conservative, but I am a white woman and agree with your post about 100%
This will turn out to be a stain on DPD--and further exacerbate the tension between LEOs and minorities--but also others who can see a mistake like this happening to them...my son and his wife live in Dallas. It is not unreasonable to fear something similar happening to them...

From the fact that the District Attorney's office was upset at the way Texas Rangers interfered and the charge returned, I think the DA thinks there is a coverup happening....
I wish the DA would investigate...

Old 09-17-2018, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchampagne232000 View Post
Yeah- they would have to prove intent. If they have no witnesses and no evidence pointing to her purposefully entering the apartment knowing it wasn't hers then it will be damn near impossible to prove.
She pulled the trigger. That proves intent to kill, which is the only intent that's necessary in Texas.

It is murder according to the statute. That doesn't mean the prosecutor has to charge murder, or that the jury has to convict. Moreover, if she is charged with murder, she can assert defenses like self-defense to avoid conviction.

Old 09-17-2018, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I am not conservative, but I am a white woman and agree with your post about 100%
This will turn out to be a stain on DPD--and further exacerbate the tension between LEOs and minorities
Everyone in Texas is a minority, and it's been that way for 15 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies