Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 12:28 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
If roe v wade was overturned it would not ban abortions nationwide. It would become a states issue which is where this decision belongs.
That is not where it belongs, anymore than it should be perceived as the right of states to jail any woman who gives birth, or demand that groups of certain races don't breed. We have certain basic rights everyone just needs to respect. One of those is everyone having access to at least some kind of abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
That's why there's little chance of it beng overturned. The SC is not going to go against the opinions of the vast majority of Americans on such hugely divisive issues. The SC didn't rule in favor of gay marriage until the public was largely in favor of it. To command the public's respect, the court must pay attention to the public. History, shows this is what the court has done, whether they admit it or not. They aren't going to risk their power (and for Rs, their party), at a time when many recent decisions and appointments have been quite unpopular.
I agree with that. A lot of people might not be happy that Roe v. Wade exists, but if it's removed, you'd see countless furious people. I'd be one of them. I'd be protesting with signs while discouraging people from assassinating politicians, and insisting we need to put Roe v. Wade back into place in some kind of legal way, rather than through civil war or something.

A lot of people definitely would not like the thought of America turning into another Iran. I think they're too hard on Trump voters even now. They remove Roe v. Wade...people would go nuts.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:44 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open-D View Post
You're in the grip of desperation and not making any sense at all. I have no doubt that under the right circumstances, people who think like you would slaughter their children post-birth if their was any convenience to be gained, and immunity from prosecution present. Selfishness beyond belief.
And people who think like you, spineless armchair quarterbacks, would stand safely at your child's bedside while it died of liver failure rather than take the risk of losing YOUR life by donating a part of your liver.

Selfishness and hypocrisy beyond belief.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Hardly.

Forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy against her will is a form of slavery.

According to the pro-life stance, a woman only has body autonomy until she becomes pregnant.....at that point she loses that right and her body becomes the property of the state, serving as an incubator against her will, losing her rights to liberty and freedom.

Government, state or federal, does not have the right to deny a woman her liberty and freedom by forcing her to gestate a pregnancy against her will......that is just like slavery..... and theft.....being forced to provide a service without compensation.
Let's look at this comment.

Is forcing a woman to carry a pregnancy against her will a form of slavery? I definitely wouldn't describe that as a completely inaccurate statement, at least. (Whereas "abortion is murder" on the other hand, makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Yeah, I could see preventing a woman from getting an abortion being described as a form of slavery and theft, more or less.

I don't have any real problem with that statement. Well-said, more or less.

That might imply, though, that extremely late term abortions that are of extremely small risk to the life of the mother, and aren't wanted because of genetic disorders or birth defects or health problems of the mother would also count as a form of slavery. Those sorts of abortions, I'm thinking, are quite rare though. I could understand not allowing those sorts of abortions...and only those sorts of abortions. But generally speaking, yeah, I'd say not allowing women to get abortions is a form of theft and slavery.

In fact, even in those rare instances which probably require some kind of mentally unstable mother, it could be argued that you're actually punishing the child for the parent's mistake by not getting an abortion...but I leave those sorts of possibilities open because, based off what I understand, it's hard to know exactly what a fetus experiences, and we could learn some things about abortions that would make certain types of it cause enough suffering to sensibly ban those rare variants. at least according to some rational perspectives, at that later stage, I think things become more controversial.

But generally speaking taking away a woman's right to abortion is a type of slavery.

Also, I wouldn't say people who want abortion legal at any stage of pregnancy, up to birth, are unintelligent. They're still in the "thinker" category of things, far above the barbarians who want draconian limits on it, like banning it all after the first trimester, or the absolutely monstrous mentalities of people who want it banned entirely. I'm just not certain that the people who want abortion legal at any stage of pregnancy for any reason have the 100% best route. I do need to research this stuff more before really talking much about late stage pregnancies though.

So, that was a intelligent post by Annie53. Annie53's posts have generally been intelligent posts that show a concern for Annie's fellow human beings, and Annie appears to show a considerate interest in the reality around her too.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:01 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,046,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I agree with that. A lot of people might not be happy that Roe v. Wade exists, but if it's removed, you'd see countless furious people. I'd be one of them. I'd be protesting with signs while discouraging people from assassinating politicians, and insisting we need to put Roe v. Wade back into place in some kind of legal way, rather than through civil war or something.

A lot of people definitely would not like the thought of America turning into another Iran. I think they're too hard on Trump voters even now. They remove Roe v. Wade...people would go nuts.
And if Republicans remove Roe v Wade, giving states the right to deny women body autonomy, it will prove that they view women as lesser than and not worthy of having the same rights as men.

In today's climate that could effectively deal a fatal blow to the Republican Party.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:03 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
No...that's you, the one who failed to comment in any worthwhile detail on my intelligent and carefully thought out statement, or my other intelligent and carefully thought out statements, which made perfect sense and I have a right to be proud of. Here is that shining example of the ideal Citi-Data post again: http://www.city-data.com/forum/53349714-post548.html

What a surprise it is that you didn't care enough to explain why I'm wrong (sarcasm). That's not surprising because you clearly don't care about anything besides your delusional fantasy land, or else your statements would show some kind of empathy for someone. instead, your comments have repeatedly shown you neither give a rat's behind about children, or their parents, or whether or not you change the minds of people reading this thread. You just don't seem to care. You don't engage in intelligent discussion. Your comments for, at minimum, the last 20 pages of this thread have been almost entirely snarky, un-informative comments, that usually are incorrect.

I suppose another thing you might care about, in addition to maintaining your fantasy land you live within, is your ego. You don't care about convincing me of anything because you didn't try. You just responded with a snarky push-back post. You, apparently, just cared that I wounded your ego.

My comments, on the other hand, are usually intended to try to change someone's mind somehow. Even when I just respond with snark, that's just to try to get people to think more about things they should have already been thinking about. I do, often, explain my views in quite a lot of detail though. Be more like that to get more respect.
You flatter yourself without cause. Your post was bilge not worthy of further comment.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:03 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
If roe v wade was overturned it would not ban abortions nationwide. It would become a states issue which is where this decision belongs.
I'm aware of that but it isn't the point. The public supports Roe v Wade, overturning it would destroy the court in the majority of the public's eyes. It's obvious that many states would proceed to ban abortion and the SC would take the blame.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:06 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,555,043 times
Quote:
And people who think like you, spineless armchair quarterbacks, would stand safely at your child's bedside while it died of liver failure rather than take the risk of losing YOUR life by donating a part of your liver.

Selfishness and hypocrisy beyond belief.
I don't have a child with need of a piece of my liver, but if I did, I would happily donate whatever is neceessary. Your debate-by-canard/strawman/red herring is an epic fail.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:10 AM

Quote:
And if Republicans remove Roe v Wade, giving states the right to deny women body autonomy, it will prove that they view women as lesser than and not worthy of having the same rights as men.

In today's climate that could effectively deal a fatal blow to the Republican Party.
That...or they're just not self-aware enough to realize that's what their actions show. I think a lot of times people just don't understand themselves, or the world around them, well enough to understand the actual effects of their actions. Whether they're literally twiddling their thumbs evilly and contemplating how to destroy the women, or just not understanding much about how the world works...either way the result is basically the same.

Old 10-14-2018, 01:13 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,821 times
Quote:
Roe v Wade is not the point here. This is just about banning it in general, which is the goal of many, not just overturning Roe to make it a states issue.

Last edited by detshen; 10-14-2018 at 01:31 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies