Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 07:38 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
Civilization would collapse without taxation. It is not theft.
It most certainly is theft, and civilization would most certainly not collapse without taxation.

By the way, before you tell me to move to Somalia, they have a 10% national sales tax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Paying taxes.

Bob.
Thanks for proving my point that taxation is theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2018, 07:39 AM

8,750 posts, read 3,116,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Soldiers defend this nation.
Since when?

The last time the U.S. was invaded by a foreign country was 1812.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:45 AM

62,872 posts, read 29,103,656 times

It's you that needs an education. Your first link didn't work and that's all you have is the crab industry to justify hiring illegal aliens? Increase the visas for that type of work if there truly is a shortage of American workers for those jobs. Problem solved! Never is it justifiable to hire illegal workers as it's against the law. Something you and yours care nothing about.

How about the construction industry that illegals have flooded? Are those jobs Americans won't do for a fair wage? Who do you think were doing those jobs before millions of cheap, illegals flooded our border?

Old 09-09-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Since Mexico is paying for the wall, Master Negotiator Trump will, no doubt, get them to build it also.

Of course, people keep ignoring the small matter of Texas, where the ranchers have no desire to have their borderland taken for a wall.

Also, a wall along the Rio Grande cannot be built 'in' the river (where the actual border is) but must be built a ways inland (I have seen estimates of up to five miles away from the river, for various reasons).

Building such a wall also has the unintended consequence of essentially ceding the river to Mexico. Mexico will have full access to the river, ranchers will not.

I will also note that the military is having trouble recruiting new members (you need 80,000 per year to keep the levels stable; such is not being done). Of course, one reason for the lower recruitment levels is the excellent economy (during times of recession and high unemployment, recruitment goes up). You also have the problem of many young Americans lacking a high school education, as well as obesity and drug usage.

"Join the Military and build a wall!" is not a very catchy way to entice young men and women to join up.

So, even if the Pentagon agreed to build the wall, it does not mean that the wall would actually be built, especially in Texas.

I swear you anti-wall people come up with the lamest excuses not to build it and it's usually because you don't want the flow of illegals to stop.

Where the wall isn't feasible it will be built on areas where it is, duh! There are always ways to get around topography problems. As for the ranchers that don't want to sell a small part of their land to build the wall then they can just deal with the drug cartels and illegal aliens trespassing on their property all by themselves. Bet they'll be begging for a wall in no time.

As for low recruitment for the military. I seriously doubt that it's an actual problem. We have enough military personnel to build it now. However, I would expect that it will be built by outside contractors instead.

Excellent economy? Many people who aren't young enough to join the military have been put out of their jobs by illegal aliens.

As for Mexico paying for the wall Trump never said that they'd write a check for it. Link already provided how they can be made to pay for it. Doesn't matter anyway as it is well needed and cost effective opposed to the billions a year that illegal aliens cost us.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:03 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,386,107 times
its really a good idea, the army corp of engineers and the naval seebees are some of the best builders there is.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:12 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Um no, there are far more Democrats in congress who are opposing Trump than any GOP sell outs.
Um no, as we've seen adequately enough; they're not preventing him from doing the major damage a narcissistic deranged fool could do without some intelligent self-restraint. That's being done by his own team.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:21 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, I voted Trump, but I think the "wall" is not a good idea.

I believe military should be used to defend the border, but they should not be used as the manual labor to build the wall.
If the Marines are used to guard American embassies, then military can be used to defend the border. All these being said, they are not manual labors. sheesh
the best defense against illegal entry aside from the wall is a revamp of laws and regs re illegal aliens and entry.

The law was set up to deal with an occasional illegal entry, not a mass exodus form Mexico and OTMS.

Like having a town sheriff with a staff of 2 having to deal with ten thousand protestors and then being blamed for having done such a poor job protecting the life and property.

All the marines in the service will do no good if their hands are tied by laws which neuter their presence.

Why does mexico get a free pass by the UN and our media?????

People are fleeing that country and no one is curious as to why and what can be done to make life palatable in Mexico and points south.

US policy focus needs to be on south and central America, not the middle east and Europe. Let Europe fund their own defense.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:23 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Trump will use the military? Let's revisit after Congress approves. And they better do it before Trump starts a war in Venezuela or Iran. They might need the military elsewhere.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...r-wall/556967/

https://splinternews.com/native-amer...rum-1825301911

Old 09-09-2018, 08:28 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,466,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Thousands of them will bypass it. Meanwhile, hundreds of thousands won't. The wall will work which is precisely why the groups that want more immigration are so adamantly opposed to it.
I`ve heard from reliable sources that Mexicans have shovels and are known to build a tunnel or two.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
I`ve heard from reliable sources that Mexicans have shovels and are known to build a tunnel or two.

I have not only heard but know it's a fact that we have tunnel sensors and for the most part these tunnels aren't completed before being detected and destroyed especially with the good double walls in place. Next......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies