Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2018, 12:54 PM

52,698 posts, read 34,548,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
What makes you think that people who dislike the sophomoric antics of SJW's are pro-Trump?
Quote:
Um, are you 12? My *profile* is empty. And I'm a Democrat.
crazy.

after seeing hundreds of posts of yours, not a single one being even remotely supportive of trump from what i recall, i see crazed leftists consider you a fox-news-watching 'trumplet' and a 'trumpwad' because they are melting down over your quite moderate posts about a tennis player.

seems odd

Old 09-10-2018, 01:01 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
crazy.

after seeing hundreds of posts of yours, not a single one being even remotely supportive of trump from what i recall, i see crazed leftists consider you a fox-news-watching 'trumplet' and a 'trumpwad' because they are melting down over your quite moderate posts about a tennis player.

seems odd
They are eating tbeir own and accusing us of same! HaHa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
To which I reply with more of your own words...

Osaka can call up Kim Clijsters and Samantha Stosur and they can all chat about being the answer to a future Trivial Pursuit question - "name the three women who beat Serena Williams soundly in the US Open final, and were totally overshadowed by Serena melting down and complaining about being robbed?"

So ridiculous. I will say this, I hope Osaka soundly beats Serena every single time they play from here on out. Eventually, even the apologists will have to recognize what's up.
This.

I will root for them and against Serena too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You are missing the big point here. I am an older white guy, and she was robbed. How many antics have we seen from male tennis stars over the years, throwing tantrums, threatening judges, calling them an SOB, etc, etc. They were always given a pass.

That line judge made it personal. He couldn't stand a women speaking up and questioning him. Pro Tennis is an intense sport, Serena is one of the best. Maybe she was beaten, but the heat they put on her certainly did not help, and was purely sexist.

Any man, who has any honesty, will admit we ARE treated differently and better than women. If we are pushy, we are assertive, if a woman does the very same thing, she is bitc*y. I have seen it all my business career, and in daily life. Some people still want women to be barefoot and pregnant, and keep their damn mouth shut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
No, they weren't. That's a popular myth, but it isn't true. McEnroe defaulted entire matches over his behavior. So did plenty of others. hell, in a Davis Cup final, UK defaulted a championship to Canada because one of their guys got mad, whacked a ball out of frustration and that ball bapped the umpire in the face, totally unintentional and coincidence...but their team was immediately defaulted. Men and women both get warnings and infractions. Serena is not being singled out, she's just claiming she is.

Not even remotely true. Nadal says Ramos is out to get him too, because Nadal likes to take long breaks during matches, outside the rules. He thinks Ramos should be sympathetic and look the other wa, and Ramos is a gold badge umpire for a reason, and says nope, play by the rules. Serena and her coach broke the rules and the penalties were perfectly fair in all three cases. Her coach admitted to coaching from the stands, she clearly broke her racket and she clearly called the umpire a cheater. Every single one is a proper rules violation, and all three are beyond dispute at this point. What is also beyond dispute is she was losing to Osaka at the time, same as 2011 and 2009 when she was losing to Stosur and Klijsters respectively.

Maybe, but that is not what happened here. You are inventing a false assertion - that men are not penalized for violating rules in tennis. They are penalized, and there's ample proof that this is so. Since your initial premise is demonstrably false, your conclusion is clearly invalid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Chatterboxx- View Post
Sexism and racism aside, I observed her reaction and it was very emotional and perhaps crossed the line. I don't watch professional tennis, so I don't know if her reaction is 'normal', but it was clear to me that she was very outraged at the line judge and proceeded to berate him.

As someone who has participated in a number of sports, I realize that it can be an emotional experience for those involved. So while an apology could help redeem her poor and petty behavior, I also hold nothing against her for having the response she had during a highly emotional event. She should probably just apologize and move on.
Nope.

That ship sailed and sunk on Gilligan's Island because of her Sexiest Claim™.

Quote:
LOL! Thanks, for the laugh and the correct portrayal of my posting record. I just consider the source with some of these posters.

Between that and being accused of being a liberal by a few people on the far right, I'm starting to think moderates are confusing to extremists who don't seem to understand middle ground on any front.
Srsly?

You know better than that.

There is no middle ground anymore.

You will be shoved to the right or left. Did you not see the Kavanaugh hearings?

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-10-2018 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-10-2018, 01:07 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Sad that this young woman can't win in grace. She has to go through life knowing that she won a match that upset entitled Americans. Now, Serena is making this finals about her.

http://twitter.com/CamCox12/status/1038558762376679425

You are missing the big point here. I am an older white guy, and she was robbed. How many antics have we seen from male tennis stars over the years, throwing tantrums, threatening judges, calling them an SOB, etc, etc. They were always given a pass.

That line judge made it personal. He couldn't stand a women speaking up and questioning him. Pro Tennis is an intense sport, Serena is one of the best. Maybe she was beaten, but the heat they put on her certainly did not help, and was purely sexist.

Any man, who has any honesty, will admit we ARE treated differently and better than women. If we are pushy, we are assertive, if a woman does the very same thing, she is bitc*y. I have seen it all my business career, and in daily life. Some people still want women to be barefoot and pregnant, and keep their damn mouth shut.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:13 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,839,973 times
Here, compare John's behavior to what she did, and he did this at almost every match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8Nyc9jzSDg

Old 09-10-2018, 01:19 PM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Sometimes I regret using the ignore list because I can just sense I'm missing out on some unintended comedy relief.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:20 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:
No, they weren't. That's a popular myth, but it isn't true. McEnroe defaulted entire matches over his behavior. So did plenty of others. hell, in a Davis Cup final, UK defaulted a championship to Canada because one of their guys got mad, whacked a ball out of frustration and that ball bapped the umpire in the face, totally unintentional and coincidence...but their team was immediately defaulted. Men and women both get warnings and infractions. Serena is not being singled out, she's just claiming she is.
Quote:
Not even remotely true. Nadal says Ramos is out to get him too, because Nadal likes to take long breaks during matches, outside the rules. He thinks Ramos should be sympathetic and look the other wa, and Ramos is a gold badge umpire for a reason, and says nope, play by the rules. Serena and her coach broke the rules and the penalties were perfectly fair in all three cases. Her coach admitted to coaching from the stands, she clearly broke her racket and she clearly called the umpire a cheater. Every single one is a proper rules violation, and all three are beyond dispute at this point. What is also beyond dispute is she was losing to Osaka at the time, same as 2011 and 2009 when she was losing to Stosur and Klijsters respectively.
Quote:
Maybe, but that is not what happened here. You are inventing a false assertion - that men are not penalized for violating rules in tennis. They are penalized, and there's ample proof that this is so. Since your initial premise is demonstrably false, your conclusion is clearly invalid.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:23 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
crazy.

seems odd
LOL! Thanks, for the laugh and the correct portrayal of my posting record. I just consider the source with some of these posters.

Between that and being accused of being a liberal by a few people on the far right, I'm starting to think moderates are confusing to extremists who don't seem to understand middle ground on any front.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:23 PM

8,059 posts, read 3,944,421 times
Quote:
Here, compare John's behavior to what she did, and he did this at almost every match.

Rich (any color) 2018 Lady: "The Founding Fathers owned slaves... it's totally unfair that I can't too!"

Old 09-10-2018, 01:24 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Sometimes I regret using the ignore list because I can just sense I'm missing out on some unintended comedy relief.
Yes, but of the 238 people you've added to your ignore list, only .00001% are truly entertaining.

Old 09-10-2018, 01:32 PM

13,954 posts, read 5,623,969 times
Quote:

....and you clearly hear, at time 0:30, the umpire issue a verbal abuse penalty of a point to McEnroe. Then at time 1:10, when he smashes stuff by his chair, you hear another code violation and he is penalized a game. Then he calmly walks over and asks if the match is over, the official says no, you were penalized game and the set is at 4-4, McEnroe asks calmly if the umpire can be replaced, is told no, and he walks away...knowing his next bit of nonsense defaults the match.

They mistimed the smacking of the tennis ball in that video, as that came earlier in the match and was his first violation that got him a warning.

And oh by the way, his fine from that match resulted in him being suspended from the tour for 21 days, because of a rule that was implemented based on his antics specifically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies